Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 02-26-2019, 06:16 AM

Default Rims stuck on axle

This is on the Dingo , I'm trying to take it apart to change the sprocket because it keeps throwing the chain from the sprocket being crooked side to side and up and down from someone welding this 72 tooth sprocket against the factory 60 tooth and it wasn't centered properly so the chain is real loose and then super tight when you turn it over , they welded the disk brake on too right at the key and as far as the rims being stuck on the axle it looks like they beat the axle key in right over the threads because you can see some of the threads dented in where the key hangs out a little. So any ideas ? or just scrap it and just get a new axle along with a new brake disk , I just hope i can salvage the rims at least if all else is shot.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:37 AM
G'me sumthin to write on

You know the drill... We need pictures because our feeble minds are too lazy to visualize what you are talking about.
Panhead5496 (03-11-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 09:08 AM
That guy

But if I understood you corectly, the threads on the end of your axle are overhanging the keyway. I had this happen when removing a sprocket too. I had to file down the extra thread until it was the right width. That might not be what's happening to you, so put some pictures up
Old 02-27-2019, 08:42 PM

Dingo Axle 003 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
Dingo Axle 007 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
Dingo Axle 001 by Nuclearcobra, on FlickrDingo Axle 002 by Nuclearcobra, on FlickrDingo Axle 004 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
Old 02-27-2019, 09:44 PM

I'm thinking if i can't get them off I'll take the whole setup out rims and all and stand it up and let it hang on a homemade stand I'll make and beat the axle through the rim then flip it and do the same to the other side.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:51 AM
Pro Junk Collector

cut axle flush with rim, hydraulic press. repeat for other side. although not impossible I wouldnt try to save that axle myself...depends on your budget.

If you do decide to use a BFH (hammer), support the center hub of the rim, those things bend easy (ask me how i know...)
Old 02-28-2019, 03:58 PM

Glad you told me about the hubs , Budget isn't a issue , Its more the challenge to see if i can undo this mess someone created and save the parts. I'm getting ready to head out in the shop and try again now that its had two days of pb blaster , if still no luck I'll grab the torch next to heat it. And if that fails I'll cut it and use the press on it like you said.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:51 AM

Wedge a 2x4 into the back side of the rim and smack with a mini sledge. Be sure to continue to turn the wheel as you hit it. I had the same problem, with the same kart and evenutally broke it loose doing this.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:32 PM

I'll give it a try , I did loosen the nuts and take it for a spin hoping it would knock them loose to no avail tho.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:40 PM

I just got the rims off my manco by beating from the inside with a 2x4 and bfg.
Attached Thumbnails
20190305_194403.jpg   20190305_194356.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to txluke For This Useful Post:
Panhead5496 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 06:38 PM

One wheel on the sprocket side came loose by riding it for a while with the lock nut backed off a few turns which is fine because i ground the welds down and was able to slide the brake disk and the sprocket off , as far as the other wheel its on there for good i guess , I soaked it in pb blaster for days , used a propane torch , and beat it with a 15lb sledge with the rim supported and it wouldn't budge at all , so once i figured i was going to cut it and use my shop press on it i beat the end of the axle direct with out a block of wood on it and still not a budge , so before i cut it in half thinking that i might destroy the rim trying to press the piece of axle out i decided to just leave that rim on for now seeing how i didn't really need it off for a sprocket change anyway, so i cut off a few of the damaged threads from beating on it so i could put the axle nut back on for safety sake. The old sprocket was 72-12 tooth 35 size and the new one is 60-10 and its a 40 size set up.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:21 PM

Well I've been very pleased with the new 40 size sprockets and chain , Even tho its still a 6 to 1 ratio 10/60 tooth and the old 35 size setup was 12/72 it has more low end than it ever had , it will fishtail and get sideways on ya if your not careful when ya nail it and it never did that before , The 40 series 60 tooth sprocket was larger in diameter than the 35 series 72 tooth sprocket as to why i guess ? Or can it be just from less flex or stretch with a larger 40 setup vs 35 ? Anyway what a blast these two karts have been, had i known they were ever this much fun i would've always had karts way before i turned 50 , Last weekend my wife's family was visiting so 3 nephews 18, 20 and 27 and one niece 28 plus my girl 13 were giving them a beating all day non stop. The Trailbuster finally broke both brake pins on each side that hold the bands so i took some 5/8'' bolts and cut them to length and worked the ends on a bench grinder until they slipped in the brake band far enough and it worked well. Yesterday a friend came over and mentioned a few times how it would be fun to take them for a blast and even tho it was wet out and sprinkling a little i said what the heck lets do this, And man what a difference when its wet out we wailed those things so many times around our little homemade track we made through mine and the neighbors yard racing each other I can barely move this morning, I was on the Trailbuster and he was on the Dingo , Its a perfect match seeing how the trailbuster has more top end with the 12/54 sprockets and 22'' tall tires and the dingo has way more low end with 10/60 sprockets and 18'' tires , anyway the rim on the dingo let go and warped real bad so that ended the fun which i was done at that point anyway as i was dripping with mud and spitting it outta my mouth So this morning for the dingo i ordered a new 1'' axle end to end , bearings , hangers , hubs and heavy duty rims for them, I probably would've just ordered a single rim had i been able to get it off the axle anyway before. I figured its meant to be as bad as were beating these things to upgrade the rim style and setup. Also i'm changing the trailbuster sprockets that came in Wednesday from 12/54 tooth to 10/60 tooth like i put on the dingo to help the low end with those tall 22' tires , then soon I'm putting that Honda GX 390 motor on it I've had for a few years now and that should really wake up that trailbuster. Darn it i think i got addicted to Karting.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Aah heck its less grass to cut Also the brake drums on the trailbuster got changed that day as well cause i think they showed some signs of slight wear
Dingo Kart Rim 016 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
Dingo Kart Rim 017 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
Dingo Kart Rim 019 by Nuclearcobra, on FlickrDingo Kart Rim 022 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
Dingo Kart Rim 021 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

Dingo Kart Rim 009 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
Dingo Kart Rim 011 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
Dingo Kart Rim 012 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
Dingo Kart Rim 013 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
Dingo Kart Rim 015 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Dingo Kart Rim 020 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to nuclearcobra For This Useful Post:
landuse (04-08-2019)