Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Off Topic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,954 Times in 2,300 Posts

We better watch it. If Orange Krate sees that he'll write a script and have me building an exploding kart.

The cocaine joke- it's been a few years. So long I don't remember the name or the state, but a black governor in a northern state- ( Chicago...New York. .IDK) got busted for cocaine. The name Barry rings a bell- but other than that, I got nothing? Maybe someone else can fill in the blanks. ...
Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 PM

Thanked 4,261 Times in 3,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poboy kartman View Post
We better watch it. If Orange Krate sees that he'll write a script and have me building an exploding kart.
And where's the downside of this idea?

It should be fairly easy I think...
get an old seized engine you won't be able to revive (or you don't mind to) and cut the case to pieces.
reassemble using light glue and stick some fireworks in...
you can let it explode over and over again.
just make sure you bench test the amount of fireworks

Should look great on tape

'sid
Old 01-04-2014, 07:48 PM

Talking

Quote:

The cocaine joke- it's been a few years. So long I don't remember the name or the state, but a black governor in a northern state- ( Chicago...New York. .IDK) got busted for cocaine. The name Barry rings a bell- but other than that, I got nothing? Maybe someone else can fill in the blanks. ...
Exploding kart? Or just feed you enough caffeine and left over Holiday candy and film that?

Going back to the "Hitchhikers Guide"; in one scene, Ford Prefect describes his 'semi cousin' Zaphod as being dangerous; something about how when he goes to pieces, it happens so fast that people get hit by the shrapnel...... Of course, there's also the Muppet Labs experiment where Dr. B. Honeydew hands poor Beaker a cup of pure caffeine in an experiment to find out how much caffeine is TO MUCH caffeine.....
Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 PM

Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,449 Posts

Cocaine..... I thought it was white guy from Toronto.....

Years ago at the motor shop, we needed to test a motor for the insulation properties(it was a return on warranty) to see what was going on. well it was funky some how, but it was no good. So sure enough to see a catastrofic failure to ground at 600v on a stator ..... we jammed a screwdriver in the slot(and removed it) put it on a pallet and set it ablaze. We ramped up the power from 115v to 600v3ph.
first is sparked like a taser, then louder, the when we hit the HV it sizzled then went bang...... really cool, kinda like the tele pole transformers but really quieter.
good times..

Sorry probably going to confuse our Indian friend.....

stay calm... and carry on......
Old 01-04-2014, 08:34 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
Cocaine..... I thought it was white guy from Toronto.....

Years ago at the motor shop, we needed to test a motor for the insulation properties(it was a return on warranty) to see what was going on. well it was funky some how, but it was no good. So sure enough to see a catastrofic failure to ground at 600v on a stator ..... we jammed a screwdriver in the slot(and removed it) put it on a pallet and set it ablaze. We ramped up the power from 115v to 600v3ph.
first is sparked like a taser, then louder, the when we hit the HV it sizzled then went bang...... really cool, kinda like the tele pole transformers but really quieter.
good times..

Sorry probably going to confuse our Indian friend.....

stay calm... and carry on......
The first big job I found out of high school/ trade school was at a shop where we built automated assembly lines and machines. At that time, our parent company hadn't found a permanent home for us, so we were in rented quarters...

On the day in question, the two trainees below me were out, so I got bumped back down to the errand boy position. As I was coming around the corner of the building we were in, the three phase power lines leading to our building jumped around 3~6 inches...

Long story short, we were testing out/ dialing in a pair of spot/ resistance welding machines for making the steel frames for the then current glass picture tubes for televisions. The best way I can describe what we were doing is this;

Resistance (SPOT) weld BOTH ENDS of two strips of steel, 1 inch wide/ 1/8 inch THICK, with a 1 inch overlap at the exact same time, while the machine next to it resistance welds 1/4" thick corner tabs to the last frame....

45 minutes or so later, when we blew two of the three transformers off the pole, we managed to shut down an 8 1/2 block section of Grand Rapids Michigan..... With a major chemical distributor right across the street, the local officials were definitely less than pleased....
The Following User Says Thank You to machinist@large For This Useful Post:
mckutzy (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinist@large View Post
Going back to the "Hitchhikers Guide";
Oh btw.. thanks for the tip;
found the mini series on yt..
was fun to watch indeed

'sid
Old 01-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Just kartin' around....

Thanked 1,385 Times in 1,097 Posts

Quote:

Doug, there's day's when you just plain crack me up..... I haven't followed anything in tractor pulling other than what I've seen in passing since I was a kid; I'll need FiremanJim to back me up, and correct any mistakes I give...

Just going by the translations, I believe this is a class where the outward appearance has to loosely resemble a real tractor that I might actually purchase for use on my family's farm. The actual underpinnings are another story.....

Taking a W.A.G. at the appearance of the unit, I'm guessing it's to resemble one of the Magnum/ Maxxum machines that run Cummings engines.

Since those models came long after the "Old Iron" that I'm loosely familiar with, I have no clue of what the original HP rating was on the engine, but I'm guessing that the internal pressure at TDC was in the range of the yeald point of the iron formula used to cast the block....

Yep, the class calls for "stock" appearance. Must retain so much of the original body work. Its the insides that gets the revamp.
Back in the beginning, Billy Bob bet his neighbor Bubba that his farm tractor was better/tougher than his. Bubba said "Y Hay Yale No! Its a bet!" They commenced to hookin up the tractors back to back. All the neighbors gathered round to watch. Well ,Daisy Mae dropped her hanky and the good ol boys went at it, but to no avail. Neither tractor budged a bit. It was ol half wit Cletus that said to hook up to a skid and keep addin weight till one of em caint pullit..... This was the birth of tractor pulling...
Since then, the tractors go from stone stock to ALL OUT BALLS TO THE WALL 4 NITRO SUCKING DIESEL GIANTS configured side by side,2 pair, 4 inline,inline BUT sideways..... ........ Although the rules and classes have changed along the way, the heart of it remains the same. My tractor can pull more than yours.....
Interestingly enough, we do something simular at work. We will tie 2 "identical" vehicles together, then the drivers punch it at the signal. What ensues is a cloud of smoke n noise, guys running back n forth yelling and screaming, until someone gets dragged away or the tires blow. We have several videos on uTube. .. Ill post a link in a sec.... Its kinda fun..... lol
Old 01-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjim View Post
Yep, the class calls for "stock" appearance. Must retain so much of the original body work. Its the insides that gets the revamp.
Back in the beginning, Billy Bob bet his neighbor Bubba that his farm tractor was better/tougher than his. Bubba said "Y Hay Yale No! Its a bet!" They commenced to hookin up the tractors back to back. All the neighbors gathered round to watch. Well ,Daisy Mae dropped her hanky and the good ol boys went at it, but to no avail. Neither tractor budged a bit. It was ol half wit Cletus that said to hook up to a skid and keep addin weight till one of em caint pullit..... This was the birth of tractor pulling...
Since then, the tractors go from stone stock to ALL OUT BALLS TO THE WALL 4 NITRO SUCKING DIESEL GIANTS configured side by side,2 pair, 4 inline,inline BUT sideways..... ........ Although the rules and classes have changed along the way, the heart of it remains the same. My tractor can pull more than yours.....
Interestingly enough, we do something simular at work. We will tie 2 "identical" vehicles together, then the drivers punch it at the signal. What ensues is a cloud of smoke n noise, guys running back n forth yelling and screaming, until someone gets dragged away or the tires blow. We have several videos on uTube. .. Ill post a link in a sec.... Its kinda fun..... lol
Well Jim I thank ya kindlie fur that there mostest elokant post. That fer sure and for evermo should put to rest tha vishish rumur that us Texans aint sofistimicated.

Shoot- I'm sorta kinda thinkin that the ideal of separratin them two their traktors owt to be wurthy of that fancy smancy Noballs Piece prise... That there was a goodun....Whut most folks don't know is that tha first time- ya had to drag the other fellers ol' lady. I held the title for many a years afore they went to them even weights and stuff....

Well- we better git off here- cause we r probablee strainin these yankees brains trieen to keep up. Bin guud shootin the brees which ya.....Go Cowboys! ( back to the dad-gum draft table that is....)
Old 01-06-2014, 09:29 PM

Ok....gentlemen, I believe pistols are in order.......
You have your seconds????.....

The place will be of your(s) choosing......

Keep it clean.....
Old 01-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok....gentlemen, I believe pistols are in order.......
You have your seconds????.....

The place will be of your(s) choosing......

Keep it clean.....
See Jim- I toll ya we was strainin thare brains. We ain't fightin- jest bein good ol boys.

Dont fret there McClumsy- once that tempachure gits outta the negertive degrees an yore brane sells thaws a little- yull ketch on jest fine......
The Following User Says Thank You to Poboy kartman For This Useful Post:
firemanjim (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Well- we better git off here- cause we r probablee strainin these yankees brains trieen to keep up.
trying to keep up really hurts my brain...

Now I'm wondering:
is that cause or effect?

'sid
Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 PM

Sir..... I reckon dems fiiighten words......
Old 01-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Banned

Well that does er- 40 ounces at pistol fazzezz - buddee.....

Wate a dang minute. ....This aint fare -I ain't fighting two a yew at onctenz......
Old 01-06-2014, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsid View Post
trying tokeep up really hurts my brain...

Now I'm wondering:
is that cause or effect?

'sid
All part of the plan to take over the world....hey hey hey ha ha....it's something we put in the water..... (yeast , hops ....ect....)
Old 01-06-2014, 11:08 PM

....wait a minute, if that is the case....I thought the Germans were like the masters of the world at making beer.

....quickly... get sid.......
Old 01-06-2014, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
....wait a minute, if that is the case....I thought the Germans were like the masters of the world at making beer.

No- That's just their cover story....they're actually masters at drinking it....
Old 01-06-2014, 11:51 PM
Just kartin' around....

Thanked 1,385 Times in 1,097 Posts

I thought Sids people made Ales and Pilsners?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:

hääälp hääääälp.. thy'e after miiiii
Quote:
No- That's just their cover story....they're actually masters at drinking it....
Well almost...
actually we're just masters at telling beer from cattle urine
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjim View Post
I thought Sids people made Ales and Pilsners?
I think every ancient civilisation made beer starting _with_ history somewhere in babylonia or something

So yes, of course, my people make beer, just like your people or even his or his (pointing at Paul and Tony) people do...
we're just better at it

'sid
Old 01-07-2014, 03:34 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsid View Post
hääälp hääääälp.. thy'e after miiiii
I think Doug still falls in the "Mostly Harmless" catagory; Jim I think falls somewhere somewhere between the mice and Hot Blacks body guard. Just make sure your escape vehicle doesn't list "Disaster Area" as the owner of record....

Quote:
Well almost...
actually we're just masters at telling beer from cattle urine
Don't be so sure; I have a neighbor that has family in the south. He told me about a taste contest where Lone Star beer came in second in a taste contest; apparently warm cow p!$$ came in first....

Quote:
I think every ancient civilisation made beer starting _with_ history somewhere in babylonia or something

So yes, of course, my people make beer, just like your people or even his or his (pointing at Paul and Tony) people do...
we're just better at it

'sid
Then why hasn't the standards of all of Uni Bev's brewery acquisitions here in the US been changed to your "superior" ones?
Old 01-07-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Don't be so sure; I have a neighbor that has family in the south. He told me about a taste contest where Lone Star beer came in second in a taste contest; apparently warm cow p!$$ came in first....
That's exactly my point

Quote:
Then why hasn't the standards of all of Uni Bev's brewery acquisitions here in the US been changed to your "superior" ones?
Well, I don't know for sure, but as far as I know,
ALL U.S. beers meet the german standards.
Nothing but water, yeast, hop and malt (barley or wheat)
as long as nothing but those ingredients are being used our standards are met.

it's all about ratio...
bavarians for example like their beer a little bit on the chewy side (more yeast than water I think )
I like it more liquid, but with more hop than malt (bitter note.. a pilsener so to say).
Others do not like character at all, and they end up with very little of anything but water and the result is well.. a Miller Genuine Draft

'S all about preferences

'sid
Closed Thread