Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-23-2015, 11:05 AM
ajc894 ajc894 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Le Sueur Minnesota
Posts: 15
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default lawn boy duraforce questions?

I have a go kart running a R-tek as it's crankshaft is a keyed 3/4 in (Sorry I was wrong when checking this weekend it is 1/2). I have one more laying around as well as a duraforce.
The difference seams to be piston ported vs reed ported
  • Is one better then the other?
  • would the Toro R-tek crankshaft work in a duraforce?

here a spec sheet
www.biodsl.com/fsm/Duraforce_Service_Manual.pdf
from this it looks as it might. just looking for thoughts

Andrew
__________________
"Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you" Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by ajc894; 03-30-2015 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Misinformed
  #2  
Old 03-23-2015, 07:11 PM
OzFab's Avatar
OzFab OzFab is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Warwick Qld, Australia
Posts: 15,619
Thanks: 1,135
Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,676 Posts
Default

__________________
2013 Build-off Winner - http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21076
  #3  
Old 03-23-2015, 07:24 PM
rushking19's Avatar
rushking19 rushking19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 1,009
Thanks: 96
Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
Default

It probably won't fit in the duraforce, but the duraforce should make more power, when built
And where's Russ when you need him?
  #4  
Old 03-23-2015, 10:40 PM
ajc894 ajc894 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Le Sueur Minnesota
Posts: 15
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So reed ported is the better power maker? I we tear the two down this weekend.
__________________
"Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you" Jeremy Clarkson
  #5  
Old 03-24-2015, 01:59 AM
Russ2251's Avatar
Russ2251 Russ2251 is offline
Powered by LAWN-BOY
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Huntington Station, Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,601
Thanks: 156
Thanked 748 Times in 633 Posts
Default

Pics not needed and would not help in any case.
Crankshafts are NOT interchangeable.
First time I'm hearing of " PTO. Typically, they are 63/64 ths.
Piston ported snow engines are junk. I'd use a clone or Predator first....that's how bad they are.
As with most 2 cycle snow engines (especially Tecumseh) they are very poor performers. I purchased 2 R-TEK's and used one of them just long enough to make a video.
Both collecting dust (along with an old clone) in my basement.
On the other hand, I have at least eight DURAFORCES. All runners with various modifications. Clone killers all.
There's a couple of guys selling brand new DURAFORCE short blocks on EBAY right now.
I just received 2 of them in factory sealed boxes.
__________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4jch0puM1A
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2251 For This Useful Post:
rushking19 (03-24-2015)
  #6  
Old 03-24-2015, 06:23 AM
rushking19's Avatar
rushking19 rushking19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 1,009
Thanks: 96
Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
Default

just Use The Duraforce It's A better Choice Russ Have pushed it to around 8-10hp ,it's best to use a tillotson carburetor because it can be used in any position so it will bolt right up or you can install a mikuni with slide throttle and get a clamp type intake manifold .
  #7  
Old 03-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Rear engine 86's Avatar
Rear engine 86 Rear engine 86 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: london ontario canada
Posts: 121
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Not to butt in or hijack this thread, but I'm currently in the middle of this said Duraforce Lawnboy conversion myself.

It sure is alot of work but that's the fun. Mount is being tig welded as I type and I will upload some pics asap.

I'm going the machined crank route as I want to use a Comet Tav on this when done.
After seeing youtube vids and reading about others success with this Im really excited to see the end result.
  #8  
Old 03-30-2015, 08:08 AM
rushking19's Avatar
rushking19 rushking19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 1,009
Thanks: 96
Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rear engine 86 View Post
Not to butt in or hijack this thread, but I'm currently in the middle of this said Duraforce Lawnboy conversion myself.

It sure is alot of work but that's the fun. Mount is being tig welded as I type and I will upload some pics asap.

I'm going the machined crank route as I want to use a Comet Tav on this when done.
After seeing youtube vids and reading about others success with this Im really excited to see the end result.
Good Luck With Your Project I Love To See Lawnboy Duraforce Engines On Go Karts, But I Never Actually Seen One With A Torque Converter Before So It Should Be Awesome When It's Complete
  #9  
Old 03-30-2015, 10:20 AM
ajc894 ajc894 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Le Sueur Minnesota
Posts: 15
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

That sounds cool. Got a build thread started?
__________________
"Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you" Jeremy Clarkson
  #10  
Old 03-30-2015, 05:26 PM
rushking19's Avatar
rushking19 rushking19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 1,009
Thanks: 96
Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc894 View Post
That sounds cool. Got a build thread started?
Yes but it's for A Go Kart With Snowmobile Engine Build, I Call It Project Rocket Kart
  #11  
Old 03-30-2015, 07:03 PM
rocketkart's Avatar
rocketkart rocketkart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: florida
Posts: 1,138
Thanks: 228
Thanked 167 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushking19 View Post
Yes but it's for A Go Kart With Snowmobile Engine Build, I Call It Project Rocket Kart
what!!! what!!!!!!! im going to have to charge you for the name.
__________________
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Albert Einstein
  #12  
Old 03-30-2015, 07:11 PM
rushking19's Avatar
rushking19 rushking19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 1,009
Thanks: 96
Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketkart View Post
what!!! what!!!!!!! im going to have to charge you for the name.
LMAO I didn't know that you're name was rocket Kart, I Named it Project Rocket Kart Because It's going to be fast as a rocket
  #13  
Old 04-03-2015, 07:59 AM
Rear engine 86's Avatar
Rear engine 86 Rear engine 86 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: london ontario canada
Posts: 121
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushking19 View Post
Good Luck With Your Project I Love To See Lawnboy Duraforce Engines On Go Karts, But I Never Actually Seen One With A Torque Converter Before So It Should Be Awesome When It's Complete
Hey thanks for the kind words. I am going to start a build thread asap and I would like this to be a hot topic so I will post lots of pics and be on here as much as I can.
I have only seen one of these converted engines use a cent clutch myself and after reading about how Fast Eddie machined his cranks, I just had to include a Tav in my build. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
20150327_121515.jpg   20150326_142611.jpg  

  #14  
Old 04-03-2015, 10:26 AM
rushking19's Avatar
rushking19 rushking19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 1,009
Thanks: 96
Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rear engine 86 View Post
Hey thanks for the kind words. I am going to start a build thread asap and I would like this to be a hot topic so I will post lots of pics and be on here as much as I can.
I have only seen one of these converted engines use a cent clutch myself and after reading about how Fast Eddie machined his cranks, I just had to include a Tav in my build. Here are some pics.
That Thing Looks Insane, What Type Of Exhaust Pipe Are You Going To Use, Straight Piped,Straight Pipe With Dirt Bike Muffler, Or Expansion Chamber With Muffler?
__________________
It's Fast ,But Needs One More Cylinder
  #15  
Old 04-03-2015, 10:48 AM
Russ2251's Avatar
Russ2251 Russ2251 is offline
Powered by LAWN-BOY
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Huntington Station, Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,601
Thanks: 156
Thanked 748 Times in 633 Posts
Default

When completed, come on over, we'll have a race.
Attached Thumbnails
twin duraforce.jpg  
__________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4jch0puM1A
  #16  
Old 04-03-2015, 10:54 AM
Desertduler Desertduler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,735
Thanks: 469
Thanked 668 Times in 414 Posts
Default

Oh come on Russ, Two against one is no fair!
  #17  
Old 04-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Rear engine 86's Avatar
Rear engine 86 Rear engine 86 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: london ontario canada
Posts: 121
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushking19 View Post
That Thing Looks Insane, What Type Of Exhaust Pipe Are You Going To Use, Straight Piped,Straight Pipe With Dirt Bike Muffler, Or Expansion Chamber With Muffler?
I have been thinking alot about this. The metal shop that tig welded my mount and machined my crank said they can build me pretty much any type of exhaust system I want but obviously $$ is a factor here. I dont have a welder so fabing this myself is pretty much out of the question.

I was thinking a straight 1.25 id pipe with smooth bends comming over top the cylinder and then pointing back with a 3/4 pipe thread at the end so I can screw a large sausage type muffler as I dont want to run a pure straight pipe, way to loud!
This has been my main idea but Im open to other suggestions.
  #18  
Old 04-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Rear engine 86's Avatar
Rear engine 86 Rear engine 86 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: london ontario canada
Posts: 121
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ2251 View Post
When completed, come on over, we'll have a race.
Lol if they ever invent teleporters, Im in! Oh and soon as I get my second motor built

Have you ever been able to fully top out your dual engine kart?
That thing must pull hard!!
How are the vibrations on these Duraforces compaired to lets say a flathead briggs or clone?

In the dirtbike world, 2 strokes sure like to buzz ya lol.
  #19  
Old 04-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Desertduler Desertduler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,735
Thanks: 469
Thanked 668 Times in 414 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rear engine 86 View Post
I have been thinking alot about this. The metal shop that tig welded my mount and machined my crank said they can build me pretty much any type of exhaust system I want but obviously $$ is a factor here. I dont have a welder so fabing this myself is pretty much out of the question.

I was thinking a straight 1.25 id pipe with smooth bends comming over top the cylinder and then pointing back with a 3/4 pipe thread at the end so I can screw a large sausage type muffler as I dont want to run a pure straight pipe, way to loud!
This has been my main idea but Im open to other suggestions.
The single biggest performance enhancement for a two stroke is an expansion chamber bar none, but it needs to be designed for the particular engines port timing and the RPM level of the engine to where the peak power curve is. If you do not have the resources and tools to build one then you will have to settle for something with less effect.
  #20  
Old 04-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Rear engine 86's Avatar
Rear engine 86 Rear engine 86 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: london ontario canada
Posts: 121
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I was at the metal fab shop a fiew hours ago and turns out he is abit behind on the machine work to the crank. He was tig welding my mount as I was walking in. Some more pics. I really hope the crank turns out (lol no pun ) as I expect.
Attached Thumbnails
20150403_161337.jpg   20150403_161410.jpg  

Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 AM.