Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Off Topic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:00 AM
"Edit" button removed

Exclamation **damage uncontrolled**

I threw this "idea" out on another thread n didnt hear anything negative about doing it, so...

Im starting 'this' thread off by saying before you scroll down and view/reply/post... What Im 'trying' to accomplish here is basically either can be considered "showing of ones stupidity"(glass 1/2 empty)... or "a visual reminder of the risks of breaking the laws of physics"(glass 1/2 FULL). I'd 'like' replies to be either a similar experience(w/ 'visual' aide) or 'another' 'form' of an 'unsafe damage'...(be it to your person or property).

I came up w/ the idea of using 'visual' aides in conjunction w/ verbal warnings, to 'teach' the importance of safety('accidents'/not to push the limits). I did so w/ my daughter and her friends, and saw an IMMEDIATE response to the method. 'My' injuries were minor in comparison to what 'could' have been... but they were serious enough to put my daughters, her friends(and myself) mind frame in a more 'safe' manner of doing things, dealing w/ the kart subject...

***WARNING*** the following post(s)/reply(ies) are NOT to be taken lightly. They are solely intended to 'visually' show/teach the impact of 'unsafe' operation of a motor vehicle or the 'damages' caused by an unsafe motor vehicle..

Please share your photographed/videoed form of uncontrolled damages...(either to yourself or to your kart/buggy/bike)
Old 09-25-2013, 03:14 AM

Thanked 3,374 Times in 2,747 Posts

This thread is a good idea, but if pics are going to be of a graphic nature, then it will be shut down. This means pics of wounds etc that are serious nature, or anything that would not be appropriate for a family orientated forum. Most of the members here are below the age of 18, and this should be kept in mind.

We have no problem with "Safety Awareness" threads, but they must be kept clean.
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Half-breeder (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 03:19 AM
"Edit" button removed

Exclamation

The dangers of traction. When I 'first' got my kart going I decided to do all the things that I 'saw' the kids doing when I was younger. In 'this' particular incident, I attempted to do a 'power-slide'(moving forward... turn wheel hard(to the right on a 2 seater)... slide w/ brakes). Seemed simple enough and would have gone fine, but... i had a few things working against me...'
1- I was traveling too fast for the maneuver I was attempting on the surface i was doing it on...(inertia)
2- On a 2 seater(dead axle), weight is more so on the left side of the cart...(weight distribution)
3- NEW turf tires on dry, old pavement, on a slight 'decline'...(traction/gravity)

attached are some shots of the outcome of breaking said laws of physics...

pic 1- forearm
pic 2- hip
pic 3- side torso
pic 4- brow
Attached Thumbnails
006.JPG   007.JPG  

009.JPG   011.JPG  

Old 09-25-2013, 03:24 AM
"Edit" button removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
This thread is a good idea, but if pics are going to be of a graphic nature, then it will be shut down. This means pics of wounds etc that are serious nature, or anything that would not be appropriate for a family orientated forum. Most of the members here are below the age of 18, and this should be kept in mind.

We have no problem with "Safety Awareness" threads, but they must be kept clean.
Well... not trying to be 'graphic'... n 'mine' arent so 'bad'(show anything adult)... but if it gets closed... so be it... just trying to 'show' what most wont see... until they see on themselves...

My daughter is 11 and her friends are also that age... none of the parents seemed to have an issue w/ me showing them my road-rash... made them understand that speed+stupidity=wounds(better to have learned it from me than self taught IMO).
Old 09-25-2013, 11:18 AM

Thanked 3,398 Times in 2,676 Posts

Well, you've all seen what happened the other day when I tried the same thing (power slide).

Fortunately, I was very lucky, no injuried to speak of (apart from a bruised ego & a slightly jarring to my almost healed ankle), the kart copped the worst of it...

The funny thing is, I was about to get in the kart when my niece asked "where's your helmet"? I usually use it but, for reasons unknown, I'd forgotten it on that occassion
Old 09-25-2013, 03:34 PM

I have a couple, the first one is what happens when you take your grinder guard off to make a cut and then forget to put it back on.

The second is the aftermath of a loss, and then sudden return of traction while riding a motorcycle. Most of the injuries were internal and couldn't be photographed, but this one is pretty good. I even have a video of the crash!

Attached Thumbnails
Grinder.jpg   knee.jpg  

Half-breeder (11-01-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 06:19 PM

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiSan76 View Post
the first one is what happens when you take your grinder guard off to make a cut and then forget to put it back on.
Wow that looks painful. I use my 4.5" grinder all the time without a guard, gloves, or eye protection... I just make sure i have a firm grip on the screw in handle, and keep it cutting the right way so it doesn't kick back, try not to let the sparks hit my arm, and move my head out of the way...... I have been using 6" discs on it recently because they work really well, and are within the max RPM rating. Its probably not the smartest thing to do now that I think of it... who knows, maybe if I keep it up ill be posting pics of my mangled face or arm pretty soon.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:40 PM
"Edit" button removed

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gran_pann View Post
... who knows, maybe if I keep it up ill be posting pics of my mangled face or arm pretty soon.
... Just remember, we need to keep this thread PG-13 at most! Ty.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,952 Times in 2,298 Posts

Quote:

I think I get it- the pics can be ugly- as long as they don't show the faces!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gran_pann View Post
Wow that looks painful. I use my 4.5" grinder all the time without a guard, gloves, or eye protection... I just make sure i have a firm grip on the screw in handle, and keep it cutting the right way so it doesn't kick back, try not to let the sparks hit my arm, and move my head out of the way...... I have been using 6" discs on it recently because they work really well, and are within the max RPM rating. Its probably not the smartest thing to do now that I think of it... who knows, maybe if I keep it up ill be posting pics of my mangled face or arm pretty soon.
Actually what happened is I set it down after using it and brushed the tip of my finger across the still spinning disc. But the best reason to have a guard on is because those discs can and do explode.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:00 PM
"Edit" button removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poboy kartman View Post
More so... No 'untreated' wounds(like a slab of flesh dangling off of you like a hunk of bacon). Evidently, no decapitations ... so if you look at it that way... yea, no faces... Lol
Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
No, if the pics get too ugly, the thread will be shut down. Just a friendly warning
fowler (10-01-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
No, if the pics get too ugly, the thread will be shut down. Just a friendly warning
this to much gore?

Field of cactus + leather steel toed boot = cactus spine from **** and back, going through the boot into my toe, breaking off. and being inside my foot for the next 5 months. while on a gokart.. I still wonder how it happened, **** physics.
Attached Thumbnails
2013-07-21 20.03.13.jpg  
Old 10-01-2013, 01:54 AM

Make sure you wear proper long sleeve shirts and gloves when welding, otherwise you get a nice welder burn
Attached Thumbnails
2013-09-23-348.jpg  
Half-breeder (11-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Banned

Well I mentioned faces- I COULD post a picture of my undamaged face but that definitely qualifies as ugly and I would hate to shut this thread down.......

BTW - Sid you are behind in those royalty payments for using my childhood pic as your avatar.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:13 PM

Talking

Quote:
BTW - Sid you are behind in those royalty payments for using my childhood pic as your avatar.
:lol goku:

Good luck with that; if your parents had the copyrights, you would have seen the payments by now....... Or is there a reason why you haven't? Inquiring minds would like to know.....
Old 10-01-2013, 08:14 PM

Thanked 4,158 Times in 3,107 Posts

Quote:
Well I mentioned faces- I COULD post a picture of my undamaged face but that definitely qualifies as ugly and I would hate to shut this thread down.......

*cough* May I quote your other comment

Quote:
BS-THAT'S HIM...Taken right after reading one of my posts...EVERYBODY loves Douggy.
So, no more payments since that date necessary (my lawyer said so!)

'sid
Old 10-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsid View Post
*cough* May I quote your other comment

So, no more payments since that date necessary (my lawyer said so!)

'sid
OMG- I had forgotten that post! Now how am I going to get my crappy American beer money? I guess I'll have to start blackmailing Aussies or something.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Nutjob

I don't have any pictures since it was so long ago, but I was on a kart with no roll cage fooling around. I'd get going and crank the wheel hard and make the back end slide out. Well, the last one I did the kart flipped over. I put my hand out to try to keep it from king over all the way, but there was too much momentum and the kart ended up on top of me. I think that having my hand out helped lever me out of the seat so I didn't really get hurt, but the steering wheel happened to come down on my pinky and I had a compound fracture. I ended up with a 40 minute ride to the nearest hospital, several hours of surgery, pins, and a cast on my right hand through the best part of summer. Because I was limited to one handed work I lost my job, my bike got repo'd, and couldn't go on the rides when the festival came to town. I've lost a bit of flexibility due to scar tissue, and a little nerve damage that has gradually gotten better.

Using a high speed sander upside down, I had let off the trigger and it was coasting down as I pulled it out from where I was working when the spinning disc grazed the top of my left hand. It wasn't deep, but I now have about a 3 inch scar.

Taking car tires off of rims, I had soaped up the beads and was prying when one of the pry bars slipped. the bar flew back and smashed me in the face. It really rang my bell there for a few minutes, left a huge knot, and smashed a nerve. If I rub that area (right eyebrow) it feels like it's on top of my head.

Very nearly torn up by an angle grinder, it had kicked back and before I knew it it was wrapped up in my shirt. Very easily could have gutted me.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
I don't have any pictures since it was so long ago, but I was on a kart with no roll cage fooling around. I'd get going and crank the wheel hard and make the back end slide out. Well, the last one I did the kart flipped over. I put my hand out to try to keep it from king over all the way, but there was too much momentum and the kart ended up on top of me. I think that having my hand out helped lever me out of the seat so I didn't really get hurt, but the steering wheel happened to come down on my pinky and I had a compound fracture. I ended up with a 40 minute ride to the nearest hospital, several hours of surgery, pins, and a cast on my right hand through the best part of summer. Because I was limited to one handed work I lost my job, my bike got repo'd, and couldn't go on the rides when the festival came to town. I've lost a bit of flexibility due to scar tissue, and a little nerve damage that has gradually gotten better.

Using a high speed sander upside down, I had let off the trigger and it was coasting down as I pulled it out from where I was working when the spinning disc grazed the top of my left hand. It wasn't deep, but I now have about a 3 inch scar.

Taking car tires off of rims, I had soaped up the beads and was prying when one of the pry bars slipped. the bar flew back and smashed me in the face. It really rang my bell there for a few minutes, left a huge knot, and smashed a nerve. If I rub that area (right eyebrow) it feels like it's on top of my head.

Very nearly torn up by an angle grinder, it had kicked back and before I knew it it was wrapped up in my shirt. Very easily could have gutted me.
Sheeeesh....I think you need to practice some safety measures
Closed Thread