Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Build Contest > Build Off Contest Build Logs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 05:40 AM
2018 Build-Off Contestant

Thanks, Iíll try that.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:00 AM

The axle came in yesterday and now that I see it, Iím not regretting spending the $50 on it. Hereís a comparison to the old one.

I tested the sprocket mount I made for it and it fit nicely until about an 1/8Ē from the end so I took my Dremel and cleaned it up so it fits good now.

I havenít gotten too much rewelding done because I need to get a new grinding wheel so I can remove the weakly welded parts and clean them up for welding properly. Iím out atm to get one.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:45 PM

Yup, that looks better

Good investment
Old 07-21-2018, 01:08 PM

Lol thanks.

I just got home and luckily enough the bearings and master cylinder came in. So now I have parts and the tools. Unluckily, I have to go and work on that guys lawn again this afternoonÖ
Old 07-23-2018, 02:16 PM

Yesterday it rained off and on in the morning but I managed to get quite a bit accomplished. I removed and cleaned up all the pieces that I welded with the extension cord and got them tack welded on. I also figured out how Iím going to mount the pillow block bearings because they ended up being a little larger than I had expected. I got one bearing mount partially welded and unfortunately Iím going to have to remove one of the bearing mounts that was there. My father also picked up the black tractor paint, thinner, and enamel at Tractor supply for me. I also managed to test out my second color and from what I have tried, it turned out great but Iím not sure if I should try some sort of lacquer over it to keep it from chipping easily.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:57 PM

Today, it rained on and off for like 80% of the day but I managed to get part of the motor mount support and half of all the hinges welded. Luck was on my side, I ran out of flux just as I was finishing up.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:06 AM

Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,840 Posts

Coming along nicely! Keep the updates flowing
Old 07-24-2018, 11:42 AM

Thanks.

My father gave me the rest of the day off because he knows I want to work on the Gokart and they have to work in a small area and on some staging. He already has three other guys working for him, so itíd be a little crowded.

So expect an update later. Since I donít have flux, Iím going to do as much as I can with cutting, cleaning, & setting up for the shock braces and possibly some paint removal on the rest of the engine shroud.

And as stupid as this may sound, although I understand completely that I donít HAVE to go down to bare metal for repainting, in some areas Iím a super perfectionist, and this is one of them. I think I just donít feel like Iím getting anywhere if I donít physically see it. I know Iím going to waste quite a bit of time but itíll put my mind at ease knowing that I went deep enough and that the paint will stick.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:54 PM

Default 2018 - Manco Dingo suspension & a little extra

My mom happened to be going out of town for a meeting and was passing a Tractor Supply that had the flux I needed so she picked some up for me.

So today I finished welding the hinges, motor mount support, support bar, one pillow bearing mount, and the back of the seat and cleaned them all up. Thereís still a few places I want to hit with a flap disk when I get one though. I also took a belt sander and sanded parts of the hinges joint so that they wouldnít rub too much.

I can definitely tell that Iím getting a little better at welding, which is good. I also got the air filter in today, ordered the wheel hub mounts and brake pads(amazon), and ordered the brake hub mount(eBay) because the one I had from the junk atv wouldnít work unless I drilled through my new $50 axle.

Itís definitely coming along, but thereís still much to do. Iím thinking if I can get up early when itís not hot out(7:00), and itís not going to rain, for a few days that I can get it done(except paint) in about 1 1/2 weeks because Iíve got work and itís been raining quite a bit recently.

Iím hoping that the way I welded the pillow bearing mounts on will provide enough support.

The Following User Says Thank You to BeaterofAincrad For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (07-25-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 09:18 PM
Can't buy it?, build it!

Looking good.
yes some sanding would be good. in fact all the rust should be sanded off. And prepping the material before welding will help some, clean off paint and rust before welding together.

Only thing i see with the welds is gaps. just take time and slowly move across the weld to get a straight connected smooth weld. and maybe some higher current, the welds dont look like they are getting deap enough. but maybe they are okay. cant really tell from these photos.

i worry joints will snap with enough force, due to bad welds. I guess i good jumping on the frame would be good to test before flying down the road at 30+mph.

again get rid of that rust! before it falls apart
Old 07-27-2018, 08:52 AM

Lol thanks, itís been raining quite a bit recently and Iíve been doing my best to keep it out of the rain and if it gets wet, drying it off as much as possible but it still seems to rust a little, gotta try harder. I make sure to clean off the rust and paint before I weld, I donít want to have to weld them again for a fourth time.

Do to outlet issues, thatís about as much current as I can get. So if they donít hold, Iíll have to either preheat it really well or bring it somewhere else. But I will try going a little slower.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:33 PM

The wheel hubs and brake pads came in today and I managed to weld the other pillow bearing mount on and drill the holes during a break in the rain.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:22 AM

Today I got the shock mount braces cut, cleaned up, and welded, cut the previous bearing mount off that was in the way, and started to weld one of the shock brackets. Iím thinking of welding a piece of angle iron over the square tube for extra support. Itís starting to actually look like something.

I forgot to take a picture of it after I got both braces welded. I can definitely tell Iím getting a little better at welding but I still have a long way to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to BeaterofAincrad For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 12:13 PM

I got one shock mount halfway done and ran out of metal for the other one and the rest of it. Iím thinking one bracket might be enough support on the bottom, but Iím not sure.

I stood on it with the one shock on and it compressed like 1/3-1/2 of the way down. So Iím thinking with the other one on I shouldnít have to worry too much about the suspension being undersized and clapping out.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:24 PM

Should have put on those BOSE electromagnetic shocks from the late 90's. Great job though, and I bet your ride will be very smooth.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:07 PM

Lol, thanks. The way I look at it is if anything Iíll at least have a less sore tailbone after riding.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:23 AM

I got the angle iron and 1Ē wide flat steel at TS yesterday. They didnít have any key stock and Home Depot didnít either so Iíll have to either order some on amazon or try a job shop.

It says itís going to rain/thunder today and the next 2 days so Iím probably going to only be able to cut the metal and prep it. Also, the brake hub is supposed to get here tomorrow so Iíll be able to fit that to the disk if it needs it.

Iím having a little trouble figuring out how Iím going to mount the master cylinder. I donít want it sticking out too far on the outside of the kart because Iím afraid it might hit something and damage it. Iíd like to somehow go from a rod on the pedal to the master cylinder(mounted on the left of the seat somewhere).
Old 08-01-2018, 11:46 AM
2018 Buildoff Winner ! 😎😎

Remember the master cylinder has to be higher than the lines or brake calipers or else it may not bleed properly. The higher the better. Which is why I mounted mine on the steering column area and backwards. For it to work properly cause I was out of room also.

Those welds look 100% better. What ever your doing keep it up !
Old 08-01-2018, 12:37 PM

Thanks, I didnít quite know that about it not bleeding correctly. Iíll try something like what you did. If youíre saying the welds look that good, I take it the 25í heavy extension cord is doing a good enough job and I should be fine.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-405 View Post
Those welds look 100% better. What ever your doing keep it up !

Do you think I should add the angle iron to the shock braces or do you think the square tube will be strong enough by itself?
Old 08-01-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaterofAincrad View Post
Thanks, I didnít quite know that about it not bleeding correctly. Iíll try something like what you did. If youíre saying the welds look that good, I take it the 25í heavy extension cord is doing a good enough job and I should be fine.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Do you think I should add the angle iron to the shock braces or do you think the square tube will be strong enough by itself?
I'd probably add a brace to the back of the seat. Then you have both compressional force and tensional force. I'm afraid you might snap the brace right off if you hit a bump hard enough though I tend to underestimate the strength of welds.