Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 06-12-2019, 03:16 PM

Default Fun summer project

I have an old snow blower 3hp Briggs engine and a friend gave me a bare kart frame (dead axle)...I figured this would make a fun (hopefully inexpensive) summer project for my son and I. I have lots of questions:

1) Wheels/tires. I need to locate wheels and tires. The kart will mainly be used on our side lot (flat turf). I assume I need a special kind of wheel (the friend said to just grab old lawn mower wheels and bolt them on). I would prefer going to Tractor Supply (or similar) and buying new wheels but then what about the sprocket and brake? How do I bolt those to everything?

2) Clutch I figured I would just get from Amazon. They have a number of them that will bolt to my engine. Any recommendations for manufacturer?

4) Brakes I figured I would also buy a band brake from Amazon too. i am fairly sure this kart came with scrub brakes originally (no longer there). How do I know if there is enough room for the sprocket and drum on the axle?

5) Tie rods. Friend told me to just get threaded rod and bend it to fit the length needed. Seems odd. Don't want to spend a fortune...but also don't want to hit a tree.

6) When I get my sprocket and clutch, how do I determine tooth/ratio? Not looking for a speed demon kart...but also want to make sure it has some fun torque for the kids. I was thinking 12 tooth clutch with 60 tooth sprocket. Gives top end speed of around 10mph (at best). But, would that be really weak torque?

Thanks!!!
Old 06-12-2019, 03:24 PM
Currently flathead-crazed

Try searching up your needed parts at:
https://www.gopowersports.com/
https://www.bmikarts.com/
or https://www.ombwarehouse.com/
Most generic clutches will do the job fine, but Max Torque is good, and Hilliard is really fancy, but expensive as well.
Measure the diameter of the crankshaft before you order a clutch!
Can we see some pics of your kart?
Your friend obviously doesn't know much about karts.

Last edited by JTSpeedDemon; 06-12-2019 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Links and other stuff
Old 06-12-2019, 03:27 PM

Thanked 1,652 Times in 1,357 Posts

Hello and welcome...

Let see some pics of you ride???
Old 06-12-2019, 03:28 PM

Put up a pic of the old kart... I'm sure everyone is curious as to what is. Also easier to get good recommendation that way as well.

Wes
Old 06-12-2019, 03:36 PM

1) Those will work, but I would get new bearings. The 2 ply tires will wear faster, but I don't think I would worry about it.
2) Get a MaxTorque. Few bucks more, but you'll know it will last. If you think the kids will be starting and stopping a lot, or running partial throttle, consider a torque converter. Not sure of your shaft size, but a cheap 30 series will run you about $60 vs a $20-$30 clutch.
3) There was no 3
4&6)Should be enough room. You have a drive hub that the brake drum, sprocket, and drive wheel bolt to.There will some spacers in there to line things up. You'll need to weld hangers to hold the band (pic Below). I'll try and get pics of the assembly later.
5) Just me, but I would get the correct steering parts, they aren't expensive for most karts.
6) Final ratio depends on tire size. We run 15 inch tires and 6:1, no issues. It will also go faster than 10mph with no torque issues, ours will spin the tires from a dead stop on asphalt.

Post up some pics of what you are starting with.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4190.jpg  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSpeedDemon View Post
Your friend obviously doesn't know much about karts.
Thanks...

Yeah, he just pieces stuff together to make it work and then thrashes it till he is done. When he saw what I was thinking, he recommended using cheap wheelbarrow wheels with (grease bushings), drilling holes through one wheel and using some spacers to bolt on the sprocket, some old rod bent to connect the steering, and sneakers to stop (or a drag rod through the floor). He figured we could get something moving and fun for under $50 in a weekend.

Honestly, not looking for anything fast. Lordy, the engine I am using is 40-years old and 3hp when new!

I'll try to post up pictures tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twmattox View Post
Thanks...

Yeah, he just pieces stuff together to make it work and then thrashes it till he is done. When he saw what I was thinking, he recommended using cheap wheelbarrow wheels with (grease bushings), drilling holes through one wheel and using some spacers to bolt on the sprocket, some old rod bent to connect the steering, and sneakers to stop (or a drag rod through the floor). He figured we could get something moving and fun for under $50 in a weekend.

Honestly, not looking for anything fast. Lordy, the engine I am using is 40-years old and 3hp when new!

I'll try to post up pictures tomorrow. Thanks.
Yeah, don't do any of that. None, unless you want someone to get hurt.

I couldn't get pics of my assembly due to the cover, maybe someone can help. This exploded view gives you an idea.

https://www.gokartsupply.com/415parts.htm
Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 PM

Just double checked. Looks like it originally had drum/band brakes. So, that’s easier to deal with. Trying to attach a picture now.
The Following User Says Thank You to twmattox For This Useful Post:
JTSpeedDemon (06-12-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 09:38 AM

Old 06-13-2019, 09:54 AM

Something to think about....

Rather than buying a lot of that new, think about a donor kart. Price everything new, that way you have an idea on expense, then look around. Especially wheels/tires. Around me rollers are usually $100 or less. You'll spend that on new wheels and tires. Throw in pedals, hubs, cables, sprockets, etc and it starts adding up. Just measure everything for fit. Looks like a great little frame to start with, though. Also see if there are any swap meets in your area. Should be a great project!
Old 06-13-2019, 10:56 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

Something like a KartCo 605ST, if it has a fixed axle which it looks like.
If it's a covered live axle then it's a KartCo 675ST.
But of course, there are a lot of copykarts in the past, too.
Another guy on the forum just recently acquired one: http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41452
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthompson224 View Post

Rather than buying a lot of that new, think about a donor kart.
I have looked into it. Honestly, the only really expensive parts that I would like to locate are tires/wheels.

I have fabricated pedals. Fabricated tie rods as well. I can buy a new clutch/brake for around $40.

But, wheels/tires...wow.

Anyone know where to land some used tires/wheels? What I would search for? If I look on facebook marketplace for go kart wheels it generally is incredibly expensive live axle wheels.
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthompson224 View Post

Around me rollers are usually $100 or less. You'll spend that on new wheels and tires.
Check Facebook Marketplace, LetGo, OfferUp, CL, etc. Be patient.
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

Understood...but, what do I look for?
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM

kart, and dig through them all every day. You might get lucky and find wheels and tires alone for a decent price. I just found a few full karts in the $100-$200 range, which you could get them down off that, that had everything. They at minimum needed cosmetic work, but you are already going to address that. Of course, until you actually go see it no idea what the real condition would be. I think you already have a good idea on costs, so you can make a good decision on what anything is worth to you, what they are asking be ****ed. Sometimes it's surprising what people will take, especially if they are tired of walking around it and no one else has contacted them for a week or more. Pull out $40 and they might trip themselves trying to help you load it quick.