Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 11:50 AM

Yeah that'll do it lol, especially if you know that small tidbit of trivia.

Unrelated note this just broke on me. Do not buy Pittsburgh impact rated adapters ever! This Chinesium steel impact "rated" adapter just broke at 135ft/lbs with a torque wrench.
Panhead5496 (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 03:55 PM

Well dang! That's pretty sad^^

Do they have a warranty?
Old 06-11-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496 View Post
Well dang! That's pretty sad^^

Do they have a warranty?
I'm hoping so because it is Harbor Freight but I honestly have no idea if the impact stuff does. Still have the receipt in my tool box so I can head over there today, but I'll probably weight until Friday or the weekend. May just go elsewhere for one. Glad this wasn't on my impact, otherwise it could have gone really really bad.

What I was doing was, I needed an extra inch of clearance between my torque wrench and the tire of a Ram 1500, because my torque wrench does not have a flex head. So I put my 1/2" to 3/8" adapter on, then put my 3/8" to 1/2" adapter to my 22mm socket to get the room. Now the cherry on top and this could not be anymore perfect, the thing broke on the last lug nut on the last tire I was doing.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:29 PM

Thanked 1,669 Times in 1,370 Posts

I did that exact same thing on a tire with a breaker bar instead... Twisted right off..
I barely moved it too....what a pi$$ off that was.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:23 PM

Maybe a month ago, co-worker broke his Mac Tools 1/2" breaker bar...granted it had a 4' jack handle as a cheater par to break a 35mm bolt out of a lift loose, broke in the exact spot. Where's the quality nowadays? Seems like every tool is made with Chinesium steel.
mckutzy (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 06:45 PM

Forged Chinesium...funny thing that.....
Kinda reminds me of when your bored...eating gummy bears in front of the tv........ and you just mashin the poor little heads between your fingers...making things out of the little corpses....Like gummy worms, are forged out gummy bears.....
....maybe the gummy bears are looking like a better way...

Old 06-11-2019, 07:08 PM

Just siting here thinking of how can I come up with some more money to buy mini bike and go kart parts.

Am I the only one who does this?
The Following User Says Thank You to pearl111 For This Useful Post:
mckutzy (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 07:16 PM

I hear ya... almost all the time...
Too bad, I been laid off, shop closed on April 1.....worst April fools joke Ive ever heard.... Shutter down boys....Done.....
Old 06-11-2019, 07:25 PM

Sorry to hear that.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:30 PM

Dude that sucks. Hopefully the times haven't hit you too bad.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:11 PM

Well see near the end of the month...
Rent...
Old 06-11-2019, 09:20 PM
I'm hot for teacher

Thanked 1,199 Times in 971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartorbust View Post
Unrelated note this just broke on me. Do not buy Pittsburgh impact rated adapters ever! This Chinesium steel impact "rated" adapter just broke at 135ft/lbs with a torque wrench.
Even though it's cheap Chinesium steel, impact sockets are made from softer steel and designed to 'give' and deform instead of shatter. Shattering under power is not a good thing.

Since you used that adapter on a torque wrench and a human being is capable of imparting a lot of torque with their bare hands and arms, plus with all that beautiful leverage, I'm not entirely surprised that it gave out.

You should use hardened chrome-vanadium steel, you know, the shiny sockets with manual tools. Just don't use them on an air impact wrench--they will go ka-boom.

That's The Rule, for what it's worth. Then again you're dealing with something manufactured under a communist regime and with underpaid labor...
Old 06-11-2019, 09:57 PM

I only grabbed that one because I figured it should've held up. The other adapter I used was a Chrome one, so go figure.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:51 PM

Thanked 3,329 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
I hear ya... almost all the time...
Too bad, I been laid off, shop closed on April 1.....worst April fools joke Ive ever heard.... Shutter down boys....Done.....
That sucks man!!!! I hope things turn around for you
Old 06-12-2019, 09:46 AM

Thanks brother... ya.. its been rough... yet again... looking for work.....
Old 06-13-2019, 06:36 PM

I'm still trying to figure out my future for a living. Trying to find places looking to hire an apprentice welder is not fun. I havent lost or left my job yet, but it will happen soon just not sure when. Got word yesterday that I guess it's my fault for doing my job by finding 2 vehicles (Jeep Cherokees) with tire damage from some where between the tire manufacturer and the vehicles showing up on our lot for new car inspection. My boss was saying how we must have missed it during inspection...are you (expletive) kidding me?! I found the damage during the inspection not after. I guess he's just mad because the tires couldn't technically be warrantied, so he had to pay $260 for the tire on both vehicles.

So after finding out about that I've been busy looking for a new job, if I'm going to be treated in one of the most unprofessional ways possible. I mean hes the same one that's been saying I cannot have over time. The dude has my cell number, it's not like he can't call or text me, let alone come over to the shop I'm at and tell it to me in person. I had to find out third hand about it.

Oh well, once I leave this place, I'm leaving a nasty review for people to avoid working at this place like the plague. With how poorly we are treated by management...nope I'm done. I'll find a new career. Even the guys I work with are planning on leaving soon or at least 2 or the 3. They've worked here longer, so they've dealt with it longer than I have.

Anyway here's a pic of one of the tires with damage. The other tire was in similar shape. This was on the right rear, the other was the right front.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:25 AM

Thanked 3,329 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartorbust View Post
I'm still trying to figure out my future for a living. Trying to find places looking to hire an apprentice welder is not fun. I havent lost or left my job yet, but it will happen soon just not sure when. Got word yesterday that I guess it's my fault for doing my job by finding 2 vehicles (Jeep Cherokees) with tire damage from some where between the tire manufacturer and the vehicles showing up on our lot for new car inspection. My boss was saying how we must have missed it during inspection...are you (expletive) kidding me?! I found the damage during the inspection not after. I guess he's just mad because the tires couldn't technically be warrantied, so he had to pay $260 for the tire on both vehicles.

So after finding out about that I've been busy looking for a new job, if I'm going to be treated in one of the most unprofessional ways possible. I mean hes the same one that's been saying I cannot have over time. The dude has my cell number, it's not like he can't call or text me, let alone come over to the shop I'm at and tell it to me in person. I had to find out third hand about it.

Oh well, once I leave this place, I'm leaving a nasty review for people to avoid working at this place like the plague. With how poorly we are treated by management...nope I'm done. I'll find a new career. Even the guys I work with are planning on leaving soon or at least 2 or the 3. They've worked here longer, so they've dealt with it longer than I have.

Anyway here's a pic of one of the tires with damage. The other tire was in similar shape. This was on the right rear, the other was the right front.
That sucks man! What do you think would have caused that damage?
Old 06-14-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
That sucks man! What do you think would have caused that damage?
Have several theories:

1. Tire factory defect that went past quality control.
2. Something cut it on the car factory floor.
3. A burr on the transport truck trailer.

The cut went in a good 1/8" into the tread, almost into the main part of the tire. I recommended the tires replacement based on the fact that something could go wrong and I did not want to be held responsible for a customer getting hurt.

Only 2 vehicles were affected out of the 8 that came in. Both on the right side of the vehicles, just one had the rear tire and the other was front tire. Which leads me to believe it had to be damage somewhere before it arrived. Regardless how it happened, I'm not happy with how I was being treated for doing my job.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:02 PM

Were these the drive wheels or steering wheel?

These look like something dragged across the tread, as in the wheel spun against the edge roller of a dyno testing machine, it had a roll up.... and scored the lip....for example...
Old 06-14-2019, 01:23 PM

Okay I'm going to edit this whole dang thing and try to make it simpler since I'm not at work. So only one of the Cherokees had a damaged tire on what would be the normal drive wheel. The ones I've been working on are all wheel drive/4x4. The tire I showed was on the right rear, which on the 4x4 version, is only used when Snow, sand, and rain modes are selected on the knob. Majority of driving is done in front wheel drive, so its front wheel dominate. The one pictured was the first damaged tire I found during my inspection. The other one, I did not take a picture of was on a dominant drive wheel.
Hoser (06-14-2019)