Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > All Other Parts

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 03:22 AM

Default 3 Seater Lawn Chair Go Kart!! Scrap/Scratch Build!

Hi all! My project is finally done and I couldn't have done it with out this forum. Special thanks to a few users: KartFab, Hellion, ProFit, BBQjoe and itsid. You guys were really helpful and responded to my questions (even when they were really dumb)

The theme of the project was low budget, low time, and low experience. Basically low everything (except speed ). If the kart were sold on the market it would be called the T.R.A.S.H 6.50s (Toyota Racing: Aero Superleggera Hotrod 6.50s) since we put a Toyota symbol on it and it has 6.5 HP.

Below is a rundown of the kart and below that I'll talk about why I made it like this.

I kept the project under the radar until I was done because I wasn't really ready to show you guys what I was working on since I've never seen someone try it before.

But here I am, and it works!

Here's a quick rundown of the machine:
  1. Total expenses: $550-$600 (without profits made from reselling items)
    $350 (with profits included)
  2. The frame is made from some dude's metal gazebo that he was giving away on craigslist for free since it blew over in a storm.
  3. The frame is bolted together on either side with steel plates (1/8" thick 2" wide) and double nutted to keep the nuts from loosening
  4. The chairs are standard lawn chairs that were mounted by cutting out pieces of the gazebo and cutting off one side of the 4, then sliding the "bracket" onto the bar that we would mount the chair to and bolting it on.
  5. The back wheels are from some old golf cart ($10 each). They are pretty big wheels for a golf cart (about 17" tire diameter)
  6. The front axle/steering/wheels are all from a go kart we purchased for $80.
  7. It's a one wheel drive kart with an axle from the go kart mentioned above. We did it that way because it was much simpler to link things up since we had more space to put the brakes and the sprocket.
  8. The other rear wheel is mounted with a golf cart hub onto a 1" diameter bolt (Please ignore the negative camber on this wheel haha. It was put on badly and could use a welding job)
  9. It uses a disk brake and caliper that you can buy on ebay
  10. The TC sprocket has 10 teeth and the axle sprocket has 72 teeth (7.2:1 ratio)
  11. The Engine is a 6.5 hp honda clone (bought new off craigslist for $45) and it has a 30 series TC on it. Sorry to those that really liked my old "rare" Tecumseh but it was too loud and didn't have as much power as this one.
  12. The steering wheel is wrapped in suede (alcantara material)
  13. The 6.50s is a reference to the McLaren 650s, but since we only have 6.5 HP we call it the 6.50s
  14. The seating arrangement is inspired by the McLaren F1 (pic: https://racingotaku.files.wordpress....f1interior.jpg)
  15. It weighs somewhere around 315-350 lbs (with no riders)

We hit 33 MPH in it and it is tons of fun to drive even at low speeds (high speeds are a bit scary).

So I decided to make this project with two of my friends (others came to help out too, but it was mainly us). I was the main designer of it and did a lot of the work since we kept it all in my garage. My two friends and I all are going into engineering for college so we decided we should try to gain some practical skills before we leave. Boy did I learn a lot too...

We wanted something we could drive around all at the same time and have fun in, so naturally, we needed 3 seats. I looked around the internet for 3 seater karts, but most have the single wide seat that fits 3 people but really is a bit of a squeeze. So I decided that we should do something different. We settled on making it look like a McLaren F1 seating arrangement and having the exterior look like an old Ford Model T (pic: http://dealeraccelerate-all.s3.amazo...da_low_res.JPG). So we wanted to use bike wheels for that authentic look and a lawnmower engine to keep the prices low. However, we quickly realized all the problems that this setup would cause and decided not to cheap out too much on the stuff that is keeping the kart moving (so there went the Model T look)

Anyway, after a couple of months of planning (with school and sports, time was crunched) we finally had a better idea of what to do. At the same time while I was working on it I was playing baseball for my high school baseball team. They used a golf cart for a lot of transporting of field maintenance gear, but it had broken down. So, since I was already working on the 3 seater kart and I had no place to store it while I am at college, I told them that I would donate the kart to the program for their general use. They really liked the idea, but were skeptical as to whether or not I would ever actually finish something of that scale.

So, I painted the whole kart the colors of my school (black, red and a little white) and once it was done I drove it on backroads and sidewalks all the way from my house to the school (about 10 miles).

This project was an awesome experience and I like that I got to make it for other people to use, instead of it just sitting and rotting inside my garage.

Below are some pictures of the finished project and some early mockups of it.

Please tell me what you think! I would love to answer questions about why I decided to do some of the dumb stuff I did.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170815_163134_029.jpg   20170815_154940.jpg  

20170815_161404.jpg   20170731_130321.jpg  

IMG_20170816_002632_962.jpg   20170709_200405.jpg  

20170702_103636.jpg   20170702_103616.jpg  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CatmanDobbins For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (08-24-2017), pRoFiT (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 07:57 AM
Senor Member

Great job, especially for high school kids! Quite an accomplishment to design and finish a project like that. Good to see some of today's kids wrenching away.

That being said, please install a floor pan. I couldn't imagine going 35mph and getting a foot caught between the pavement and the frame. The lawn chairs...scary. I don't see a school official in their right mind allowing kids or staff to use that. I think a floor pan, and replacing the chairs, and you are good to go!
The Following User Says Thank You to Texan For This Useful Post:
CatmanDobbins (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 08:00 AM
G'me sumthin to write on

Thanked 1,007 Times in 808 Posts

Shame you weren't able to use the leaf springs on the front. Good job though! Best part is that it is useful.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:34 AM

Yeah a couple ratty car seats from the u-pull and a hunk of plywood, and you'll be all set! I wouldn't trust the lawn chairs at anything above 10-15mph... If that.
The Following User Says Thank You to anickode For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 10:29 AM

Thanks guys. Maybe when I get back from college I'll put in a floor/new seats haha. The principle doesn't have to know

Also, ya I would have liked to use the leaf springs and the 4 same-sized wheels, but it would have been a pain to implement go kart steering onto the golf cart front axle.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:41 PM

Looks cool, my suggestion is put a rail on the outside or rear seats so you dont lose someone on a turn.
The Following User Says Thank You to ML-TOYS For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 06:17 PM
Can't buy it?, build it!

Looks like something i would have built in high school. In fact i did one out of wood and skate wheels, for down hill racing.

30MPH!!! crazy. i hope you at least wore pants, shoes and helmets. I'm visioning you driving around in shorts and flip flops at 30mph.
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoverboard-attachments.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	88608

I would also agree on better chairs and a floor board. If you drive over a stick and it pops up into your exposed area! that would be bad.

Anyways, some crazy video would be good?

Good Job.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:42 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,676 Posts

For what it is, that's pretty cool; job well done
Old 08-26-2017, 08:48 AM
Banned

Cool ride!

That thing's Street legal Eh?
Old 08-26-2017, 05:59 PM

"Looks cool, my suggestion is put a rail on the outside or rear seats so you dont lose someone on a turn."

That could work but it would add a lot of difficulty getting in and out haha

"Looks like something i would have built in high school. In fact i did one out of wood and skate wheels, for down hill racing.

30MPH!!! crazy. i hope you at least wore pants, shoes and helmets. I'm visioning you driving around in shorts and flip flops at 30mph.
Attachment 88608

I would also agree on better chairs and a floor board. If you drive over a stick and it pops up into your exposed area! that would be bad.

Anyways, some crazy video would be good?

Good Job."

Pants and helmets are optional! Hahaha

I'll try to get some video up at some point.

"For what it is, that's pretty cool; job well done "

Thanks! Means a lot

"Cool ride!

That thing's Street legal Eh?"

No hahaha
We got the license plate for free and just put it on there. If you look it up you'll find it was originally on a semi truck!
Old 08-26-2017, 10:13 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,141 Posts

Too bad this creation is in the wrong forum.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Too bad this creation is in the wrong forum.
Your in moderator training.... Why don't ya move this thread Hellion
Old 08-28-2017, 12:55 AM

Oh crap. Should I post it in the other forum too? Lol
Closed Thread