Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Photo Gallery & Project Log

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 11:49 PM

Default Offroad Go Kart Restoration

Hello,

I just recently joined this forum and I will be starting up a build thread for the offroad go kart I recently bought.

So, I just picked up this kart on Saturday and have been working away on it since. When I first got it I basically just removed anything I wasn't going to use off of it such as the old destroyed seat, an old gas can, old lights, old wiring, etc.

The person I bought this kart off of was originally trying to sell it with an old 440 Scorpion snowmobile engine that they had known nothing about, and I wanted to stay away from that, so they were willing to sell the kart without the motor as a rolling chassis.

The last couple of days I have been doing some metal work on the frame of the kart such as welding in some holes, and removing the entire steel mesh floor that was welded in from the bottom side of the frame.

Here are some photos of the work I have done in the last 4 days since I got it. I will be posting updates and photos of everything I do to this kart over the next couple of months.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to 420Power For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (07-26-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 08:42 AM

Nice big heavy frame. That must be the driven unit from the snowmobile engine on it looks huge. Did they want too much for it? You'll def need a good size engine, 420 or something of the sort if not bigger.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaskart View Post
Nice big heavy frame. That must be the driven unit from the snowmobile engine on it looks huge. Did they want too much for it? You'll def need a good size engine, 420 or something of the sort if not bigger.
Yeah it is a well built heavy duty frame, I ended up getting it for $270 which was the very lowest they'd go because they were asking $500, which was definitely not worth it. I will be putting on a 420cc Honda clone engine on it.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:23 PM

Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,513 Posts

That's pretty cool looking...

Could we see a few more of the rear end area.. Especially that brake drum...
I defantly like the creative use of a disc caliper to a drum, without shoes...
Old 07-28-2018, 07:52 PM
Winchmaster 5000

hope it works out for you, personally I wouldn't have spent more than $100 on it
Old 07-28-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanotorious View Post
hope it works out for you, personally I wouldn't have spent more than $100 on it
I would have liked to get it for around $200, but like I said they were only willing to down to $270, but either way, go karts tend to be on the more expensive side in my area.

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Power View Post
I would have liked to get it for around $200, but like I said they were only willing to down to $270, but either way, go karts tend to be on the more expensive side in my area.

Edit: That's also Canadian Dollars as well.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:59 PM
Winchmaster 5000

where is your area? would you mind adding it to your profile?
Old 07-28-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
That's pretty cool looking...

Could we see a few more of the rear end area.. Especially that brake drum...
I defantly like the creative use of a disc caliper to a drum, without shoes...
It's not a brake drum, it's the rear pulley of the original torque converter off of the old 440 snowmobile engine that was on it before, it's kind of a neat setup, the way they rigged it but I'm not sure if I'll be keeping it or not yet..

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanotorious View Post
where is your area? would you mind adding it to your profile?
I live in Canada, where it's harder to find good deals on things like this. LOL

Old 07-28-2018, 11:59 PM

Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,513 Posts

Oh I understand its a part of the old TC... Just like the way it had been used with another style of caliper..
Old 07-29-2018, 03:38 PM

Yesterday, we took the Kart over to a buddy of my dad's, that has a hydraulic ram and a MIG. The roll cage was slightly bent in the front end and rear end (presumably from a previous roll over or accident), so it needed to be straightened out, while it was getting straightened out, some more support for the roll cage was welded in so it wouldn't bend up again (in case of a roll over), the person who designed the roll cage, clearly didn't know much about building cages, because there was no support anywhere... The guy who reinforced it has built many cages in cars in the past, and I can already tell how much sturdier it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to 420Power For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (07-30-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 02:08 PM

Today I picked up some new turf tires for the Go Kart, fronts are tube type and rears are tubeless. Now it's time to drop off the rims at the sandblaster and paint them.

When we removed one of the front tires off of the rim, a lake came out. The entire tire was filled with water. Luckily, it seems like it wasn't in there for that long, as nothing is too rusty. The front tires were cracked really badly so I imagine when the tires were deflated at one point, rain water got into them.

The pictures don't do it justice, trust me, there was a lot of water in the one tire LOL.

Closed Thread