Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 05:47 PM

Default 50cc go kart engine

I got this old 2 stroke chinese go kart in rough condition. I cleaned it up and threw on a 79cc engine from harbor freight but the kart really struggles with it, it throws chains left and right and overall it isn't great. I want to get it a 2 stroke again. It uses some oddball 3 hole mounting pattern. I can post some pictures in a few minutes of the pattern with measurements.

Looks very much like this:
Old 07-22-2018, 09:01 PM

Lmao! I guarantee if I sat on that all 4 tires would blow out. Chance of finding a compatible engine that will bolt right on probably low. I'm not going to dis the project, sometimes it's fun to mess with oddball stuff. Tell you what, why don't I sell you a cherry, chromed out Mac 101AA for $ 1000.00 and if doesn't rattle every single bolt and nut loose on that thing just idling I'll give you your money back lol.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:23 PM

Haha, shut up and take my money . Yeah, I know this is an oddball kart. I put a predator 79 on there with a custom plate. After 50ft, it took off. It was pretty nice until I crashed it into a parked car after I hit a pothole. There is no kingpin angle so it goes where the road goes. Bent the crap out of the thin, poorly made engine adapter. Oh well, beginners mistake.

I was thinking something like a GX35. With 40-45psi in each tire(Don't know how it doesn't blow out) and a rider of 120lbs, I can push it with my pinky finger to get it rolling. Probably needs no more than 3-4lbft of torque to move. Maybe a 6-72 tooth ratio, so 12:1. Something like 15mph at 7000rpm. Has 9.5" tires. The biggest problem with that is the mount is on the clutch side. Bent piece of 1/4" plate steel as an adapter? Think a GX50 is too big. I want to move the seat back 4-5", imagine being 5'8" and in that kart. It is only 4' long, and 3' for the driver. At least 3'5" is pretty tolerable. I just like how tiny it is, probably edging the microkart category but it just squeezes into sidewalks where my big dingo cant, and combined with it's tight steering radius of a few feet, great sidewalk machine. Hate to see it sit, but it just throws chains too much and doesn't stop well.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:57 PM

If it were me I'd use the pillow block holes and add a foot of 2x2 angle extending out the rear and slap a 212 on it. It would be dangerous but I bet you could do wheelies all day.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:38 AM

Well isn't that basically what I already did. I just needed a jackshaft to turn some torque. The wheels are too tiny on the bottom and clearance to the frame is next to none. I didn't know how to make a jackshaft back then and I really don't want to install one now.

I slept on it, I think this is my final plan to attack.

49cc Huasheng engine. Cheap, basically harbor freight. Bolt pattern looks the same.

49cc 3:1 reduction gear down. Cheap, save space on the rear axle. 10T on output.

44 tooth T8F on the shaft. Bolt holes are already on shaft.

I will make an engine plate if need be but don't really want to. My neighbor just got a fancy new drill press and I might just be able to use it for something good.

So do you think a 1-1.5HP motor @ 7000rpm w/ 12:1 ratio will provide this tiny kart with T̶A̶V̶4̶0̶ ̶p̶o̶w̶e̶r̶ decent sidewalk moving power?

Wouldn't this kind of frame be like perfect for a really powerful barstool racer?
Old 07-24-2018, 05:20 PM

Lol, it would work better on the sidewalk than my wife and her Harley. Which really did happen. Only one way to find out. I don't know if it would be ideal for a barstool racer. I've never seen one in person but I would prefer a frame that hugs the ground like a race kart for that you already have balance issues as it is. Couldn't be any worse than my redneck segway idea. I gotta an old 2 speed tiller with a 8hp Briggs thought about putting tires on for tines then a kart with wheels you stand on being pulled behind. I might actually do it lol.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:20 AM

I put a 49cc on a Honda Mini-Moto kart. Here is the thread:
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37590
Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/GAh2c5UKZJY
It may work better at WOT, but I don't know. This was a 50lb. rider.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:54 PM

Lol check this out:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/519122391/
Old 07-30-2018, 07:41 PM

haha, that is exactly what I did minus the 200$ for the engine. I'm cheap, no brand name motors for me.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:25 PM

Lol. You can find used ones, but maybe you don't live near big metro areas. I picked up a 8hp Honda gx240 today for $100. Never been used! That ad I linked really ****ed me off. He had a cool Murray kart I had him accept 100 for it then he sells it to someone else for 150 after we made an agreement. Could've at least told me cause I would've gave 150 but whatever.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:48 AM

I hate those craigslist people. I atleast I got a good deal with my Dingo. It was like 120, I offered him 100. He said yes. I heard nothing for around 3 days and thought it was dead. Then he wrote back, "If you get it in the next 3 days, it is 50$" **** yeah! Tomorrow morning, I had an enterprise truck all ready to go to go get it.

100$ for a GX240 seems pretty sweet if the engine was maintained properly.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:42 AM

The Gx240 is nos, never ran. Technically it was free in a way because on the same trip a guy gave me an old Murray rider that he couldn't get running. I already have it going this am. It's worth 200.

Yeah, I got some cl stories. I buy stuff all the time. Certain parts of town are bad. Recently I got chased out of a house by a pitbull, AFTER being invited in! I gotta nice gx390 about 2 WEEKS ago for 120. It's off a powerwasher but looks nice and runs really smooth. I think the gx240 might end up on my manco 3 wheeler. It has a 212 on it now just isn't cutting the mustard.

Yeah, that's a great deal on the dingo! I bought a dingo that had a like new 420 for $400. Put a used 212 on it, resold it for $400 kept the 420. It was a nice kart. I'm trying to get hold of a nice Murray with shocks @200. I ride on gravel I'd like to see if suspension helps. I know it does, but it's a go kart not an atv and I'm plus size so be no good riding with compressed shocks I'm not sure of weight limits.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:59 AM

Free 420? Nice. Not something that is a go kart but I got this sweet IBM PC on craigslist for 200$ in museum quality with everything. Probably worth north of 700-800$, maybe 1K or so depending on who you talk to. I'd get one of those big Murrays or Mancos with suspension but unlike Kansas, you can't just go outside your house and find 200 acres to ride on. This is the best place in my neighborhood to ride, the back of an abandoned school. It has asphalt, grass, and sand, like a mini ATV park

After losing the last craiglist find for the 100$ 2 seater, I found another one a far bit away but it is running 225 for a live axle, TAV30 w/ 5HP briggs i/c Streaker Kart. I want to see if I can get down to 150 or so with it. All it needs is a throttle cable and an air pump to fill the tires every once in a while. The tires are old and leak over a while.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:24 AM

At least you have a riding area.it looks good too. We live rural, in this area it's hilly not flat. Atvs are legal on all roads except the state highway but we ride on it also never been bothered but it's a slow highway. These roads will take you farther than you want to go, some are dirt that go thru creeks. We've gone as far out as 50 miles all back roads. Lucky I guess. Everyone out here has atvs. The karts are a sidekick. I'll often grab a kart instead I grew up with them just too much fun and cheap, too. The new thing are those razors, people are spending 20k+ to just cruise gravel no thanks. Once in awhile I take my tractor out lol.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:51 AM

I have a Razor scooter. It was kind of cool, but after experiencing what a TAV has to offer, it's puny electric motor feels pretty lame now, though to it's credit it can be folded and stuck in a trunk with ni problem. Can't say that for a go kart.

Also, in NY, the cops and laws are a lot more strict about no atvs and go karts, so you gotta find places like the one I showed where they don't look. That place is known in my neighborhood as the place you go when you don't want to be seen.