Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-05-2011, 08:30 PM
jk95ht jk95ht is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: central coast, nsw, australia
Posts: 89
Thanks: 11
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default what to strip 49cc mini bike

i have a 49 cc pocket rocket at my dads, but i havent been able to get it working so im thinkn about stripn it for parts for either my metal work project (a pedal kart, that i want to be kick-a$$ so i get the top mark) or for a future go kart.......
only question is what parts should i strip off it, and also any ideas on why it isnt working (it doesnt start or spark, so havnt been able to get it to start)....... and yes i got it for free off a friend

Last edited by jk95ht; 04-05-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: better info
  #2  
Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 PM
karl's Avatar
karl karl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: North east Ohio
Posts: 1,341
Thanks: 91
Thanked 267 Times in 215 Posts
Default

Just get it running. A 50cc wont push a go-kart. Go on ebay and parts for those engines are dirt cheap. Like $5 for piston rings. Take a look before stripping it.
  #3  
Old 04-05-2011, 08:39 PM
jk95ht jk95ht is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: central coast, nsw, australia
Posts: 89
Thanks: 11
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post
Just get it running. A 50cc wont push a go-kart. Go on ebay and parts for those engines are dirt cheap. Like $5 for piston rings. Take a look before stripping it.
thing is its a little old and the body is cracked etc, the main problem is im nearly 6 foot and a mini bike...... i dont fit on it lol
  #4  
Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Doc Sprocket's Avatar
Doc Sprocket Doc Sprocket is offline
*********
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,677
Thanks: 723
Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,693 Posts
Default

Mini bike, or pocket bike... There's a difference, 'round here, anyway...

Fix it and sell it.
__________________
Treat it as you would an aircraft frame and you should have no problems. -Name Withheld
The Manual- "Just the manufacturer's opinion of how to put this together."- Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor
Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!- Me!
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
  #5  
Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 PM
jk95ht jk95ht is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: central coast, nsw, australia
Posts: 89
Thanks: 11
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

known as a pocket rocket in aus......
they also call it a mini bike here, but most commonly referred to as a pocket rocket. there only worth like $50 anyway
  #6  
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 PM
robbie robbie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Osceola, Missouri
Posts: 857
Thanks: 9
Thanked 76 Times in 56 Posts
Default

If it's too small for you, turn it into a bigger bike. Cut the frame and insert pieces big enough so you can ride it.
  #7  
Old 04-05-2011, 09:01 PM
jk95ht jk95ht is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: central coast, nsw, australia
Posts: 89
Thanks: 11
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
If it's too small for you, turn it into a bigger bike. Cut the frame and insert pieces big enough so you can ride it.
yer, but im rly into this pedal kart im making, and id love to get the highest mark, so far mines better than the teachers and i hav no experience with pedal karts or go karts.....
  #8  
Old 04-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Bluethunder3320's Avatar
Bluethunder3320 Bluethunder3320 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,677
Thanks: 516
Thanked 188 Times in 168 Posts
Default

I dont think any parts from a pedal kart are found on a pocket bike...

No spark? Space between the magneto and flywheel should be .010"..... you probably use metric in AUS though. Try using a credit card to space that gap.

Also, check the plug wire. Make sure its not cracked at the base. I had this happen once.

Check the spark plug. Make sure its not gunked. If it is, clean or replace.

Lastly, disconnect the kill wires from the coil. Sometimes the kill switch can be broken so this simplifys the problem and just narrows what the problem can be.


Can a go kart count as a metal-work project?
  #9  
Old 04-06-2011, 01:14 AM
jk95ht jk95ht is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: central coast, nsw, australia
Posts: 89
Thanks: 11
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluethunder3320 View Post
I dont think any parts from a pedal kart are found on a pocket bike...

No spark? Space between the magneto and flywheel should be .010"..... you probably use metric in AUS though. Try using a credit card to space that gap.

Also, check the plug wire. Make sure its not cracked at the base. I had this happen once.

Check the spark plug. Make sure its not gunked. If it is, clean or replace.

Lastly, disconnect the kill wires from the coil. Sometimes the kill switch can be broken so this simplifys the problem and just narrows what the problem can be.


Can a go kart count as a metal-work project?
were not aloud to put an engine on it..... but i can make one minus the engine if i want, but wuldnt that be a bit hard?
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:57 AM.