Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:15 AM

Default what hubs for wide wheels?

When building a regular size mini bike, it's easy enough to buy off-the-shelf hubs, which fit on off-the-shelf axles, the axles being tightened solidly to the frame.

I'm planning a mini bike with big fat ATV tires and a clone engine. Are there any ready made hubs available for this kind of wheel to be mounted on a bike? Or would I be better off building something myself?

I have a friend who works in a machine shop. He could build me a hub like the common double flanged mini bike hub, but it's hard to coordinate with him because he lives a hundred miles away. I was actually thinking of a triple flanged hub, which could be possible because of the extra big hole in the middle of the wheel. The two outer flanges would be there for standard size sprocket and brake, one on each side of the bike.

Is it more common to build a wide-wheel bike with a spinning axle mounted in pillow blocks attached to the frame? I could use a commonly available hub like the ones used on live axle karts. Have any of you guys ever dealt with this particular situation?
Old 12-23-2011, 08:42 PM

well the old super bronc bikes have just a standard style with bearing in the hub its just real wide. I did the same when i built my fat tired bike. I put a band brake nexto the sprocket but yea you can build your own or try here for the super bronc hubs/wheels http://powertecparts.com/
heres the bike i built my own on http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/pr...e-scratch.html
Old 12-23-2011, 09:13 PM

I looked all through that thread, but I never saw any photos or description of your rear hub. Did you build it from pipe and plate metal?

By the way, your bike looks great.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:35 PM

What are the dimensions on your bike?
Old 12-24-2011, 07:59 PM

Ok ill see if I can get you some pics and measurements tomorrow. glad you like it
Old 12-25-2011, 06:22 PM

alright heres what i did. I cut one side off wheels with the right 1 3/8 bearings. and took my wide wheel halves modded from several other wheels and bolted them to it and welded it all together. for the back it needed the one side extended out for the sprocket so i kept the bearings in it ran the 3/4 shaft through. then i found a piece of pipe with the right inside diameter for the bearing. Slide that on the shaft and weld it onto the wheel and then you have a nice straight wide hub. Make sure you use a bearing without a c clip for the one thats now in the center incase it ever needs to be punched out through. Then i made some brackets to bolt the sprocket to . make the holes a little big so you can move it around to make it centered if needed. Tack them in place and spin it to make sure its all straight and weld it up. forgot to measure the bike. Maby tomorrow,