Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > All Other Parts

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 01:12 PM
Newb

Default Suggestions for front wheels/tires

I just bought my first kart and did not notice that the two front wheels are different! Same tire, just different wheel hub backspacing and the previous owner hid it behind some large washers. The tires are dry rotted, so I am thinking of ordering a single factory complete wheel online + a new tread for the other side.

Or, should I use this chance to upgrade or change to something else?

This is a yerf dog 30032 and the fronts are 15x6 -6 and the rears are 18x8 -8. Wheel centers are grey.

The assembled tire and wheel is $48
The single tread is $22
That total is $70 + shipping and I have to mount one tire.

Perhaps I can just slap these on and use washers to obtain the offset I want:
https://www.amazon.com/Marathon-15x6...15x6.00-6+tire

It has 3/4" bearings, so I would have to swap out for 5/8"
$35 +$35 + $12 = $82 with shipping included.
Only problem is, these have white rims and would not match the rear grey wheels. but for the cost savings I'll just spray paint them

The bearings are here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

wish me luck!
Old 01-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Newb

Reporting back that it all worked out.

The tires are more rounded ( high in the center) than the previous set. I will reduce the psi so that they wear flat and don't go bald in the centers.

Getting the original bearings out of the new wheels was a chore. You have to air the tire up to 30psi and use a flat tip from the inside and try not to slip and ruin the bearings. I ruined one. You have to really smack them hard because they are pressed into a painted hub so that makes them a little more snug and almost glued. Spraying with lube a day before would be wise.

Labor was about 3 hours and I used a flat tip and a small sledge hammer. The bouncing of the wheel was the worse part, so do it in a hard surface.
The Following User Says Thank You to TT540 For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (01-08-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 05:05 PM
Newb

Update to say that the inner bearing on the driver's side blew up. I think I preloaded it and that causes the failure. not sure. Will start a new post to understand that one.

Few updates on the Amazon cheapo tires:

They are only 13.5" tall! Not sure how that escaped me until today. They are printed on the side as being 15", but not way in ****, even with 50psi would the reach 15"

They wear pretty fast on the street. My toe/alignment isn't the best, but even so they would not last well with street/dirt use.
Closed Thread