Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:21 AM

Projects are cool but the thing that got me.is the 2speed wow i never herd of such and all the old pics i seen
Old 05-25-2015, 10:55 PM
Just kartin' around....

Thanked 1,385 Times in 1,097 Posts

Finally got around to ordering an 18 tooth sprocket for the J/S. I'm not sure where I came up with a 48 tooth axle sprocket, cuz mine is 60.....
I think I have everything I need now, to put this together into a running bike. I think I have everything to put my son's bike on the road too, minus a 5/8" bore clutch. Oh, I need a back tire, and his might need both, but that's not bad..... Kinda want to enter the pair as a father/son resto-mod duo, into the build off. The '32 is moving at a snails pace, but still moving forward. I need something new to ride, and I think the mini bikes would be the way to go....
After they are running, we will pull em apart for painting.... Haven't decided what we are gonna do for colors yet....
Old 05-25-2015, 11:42 PM
ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ

Thanked 3,076 Times in 2,398 Posts

father/son resto-mod duo,
Old 05-26-2015, 12:40 AM
Just kartin' around....

Yeah, I think I'm leaning that way too. My son knows I bought him a mini bike, and I told him he could/would fix it up his way. I'm thinking I might just build the bike and let him paint it. His needs repairs to the frame. Not much, just a spot where I need to add some tubing to cover a hole that was cut into the frame, and grind/cut off a couple things that po's had welded on.... If you can't fix it right, get someone who can. Don't jerry rig something, giving you more headaches, and some to the new owner, down the road..... The original brake set up was modded, then cut off, then had some crap welded to the frame... Oh it's a mess.... Easy fix though..... Probably going with a cheap disc caliper and use the sprocket for the disc. It will be ok... I know some of you have a problem with that set up, but my son is light, mini is light, and my boy won't be doing top speed or or using the brakes hard. I'm not concerned with wear on the sprocket.... It'll be just fine....
These might not qualify though, for the build off. I think they would be considered more than half way built..... I'll have to ask.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Just kartin' around....

https://youtu.be/UVzvEPJViXM
That's a video of my first ride....
and this is a quick walk through of my Roper so far. Stil have a lot to do before i take it apart ahain to blast and paint. http://youtu.be/UWMAdOwZmww
EDIT
If you know how to turn that into a video player, please do..... I'm done trying to figure it out. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.....
Old 06-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Just kartin' around....

Went for a 30-40 minute ride. You guys that said to keep it cuz it rode good were right! It rides like a Cadillac. I'm not real fond of the ape hanger type bars, but I'm getting used to them.
I need to go down in jet size for some reason. The gx pops and stutters on occasion, and I'm pretty sure its just too much fuel now, now that it's on the mini bike. It didn't do that when it was on the kart.
I have more than enough torque for a wheelie, and the top speed seems incredibly fast. Gonna have to clock it for sure. I rode down the back street into my neighborhood earlier. Speed limit is 35 and EVERY body does 45 (or better) . I KNOW I'm doing more than 35 cuz I passed an elderly couple and I could see she was doing what LOOKED like 40mph on her speedo ,from my position, but I'm sure it was stuck on 35. I had plenty of power to pass, and accelerate far ahead of them , with ease. You can actually feel the transfer from first to second gear. (For the old skool chevy guys, its very similar to the shift of a powerglide @ mid to 3/4 throttle) Its REALLLLLY really cool..... When the oil drilling picks back up, I'm DEFINITELY building a street kart with a 2 speed!
Worked on my sons a little today too. Cut the spacers for the rear axle and got the wheel centered. I'll post more on that one in its thread.....
So after watching the videos, whatcha guys think so far? Oh, the scrub brake works great at mid to semi fast speeds, but lacks a little when I try from top speed. More testing to come .....
Old 06-13-2015, 09:19 PM
ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ

Thanked 3,076 Times in 2,398 Posts

That is cool. The best part is seeing and hearing it shift. Totally weird coming from these engines. You always think at top speed "sounds like it needs to shift" But yours actually does! Way cool.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:33 PM
American Minibikes @ FB

Jim,
That is so awesome! Wish you were closer so we could terrorize some neighborhoods Lol. Can't wait to see it all painted and done.
BikerBuddy reproduces original and custom stickers for that. He is on OMB.

Edit: 2nd look at video it looks like you scraped chain / sprocket . Be careful on those right hand turns and bumps.

Edit Again Lol. It was water splashing LMao
Old 06-14-2015, 11:11 AM
Just kartin' around....

I wish I'd win thee lottery. I want to travel with a huge trailer full of toys, and drive around to meet all the diygk addicts I've come to know and love. You guys are great! It would be cool to mini's wih you. Throw sand around with DesertDueler. Chase real dingos, with Tony,riding dingos..... Give ol landuuse a visit. Take his metal detector away, and makes him finish that trike. O the list goes on and on....
Well, the rain stopped. The sun just came out. I'm going outside to go ride.....
Old 06-14-2015, 11:26 AM
Banned

Thanked 2,954 Times in 2,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjim View Post
I wish I'd win thee lottery. I want to travel with a huge trailer full of toys, and drive around to meet all the diygk addicts I've come to know and love. You guys are great! It would be cool to mini's wih you. Throw sand around with DesertDueler. Chase real dingos, with Tony,riding dingos..... Give ol landuuse a visit. Take his metal detector away, and makes him finish that trike. O the list goes on and on....
Well, the rain stopped. The sun just came out. I'm going outside to go ride.....
I'm crushed.....you don't want to come kiss my snakes? JK....
Old 06-15-2015, 11:02 AM

I recently redid a Roper pretty much exactly like that except it doesn't have the front suspension or 2 speed jackshaft. I use a 5hp Briggs with governor removed, eybrows shaved and a Mikuni carb. With a 5:1 ratio, I top out at 30mph which, in my opinion, is pretty darn fast on such a little bike. I like the scrub brake for what it is, but it's a fine line before you lock up the back wheel. I still have to redo the seat. If you need shocks for the rear, I got mine here and they were both economical and a direct fit. http://www.surpluscenter.com/Truck-T...LY-28-1720.axd

This is mine, lets see some finished pics of yours.

Last edited by freakincage; 06-15-2015 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Added Link
Old 06-15-2015, 12:15 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,954 Times in 2,300 Posts

OOOOOOOKAY......Well Jim......you should know better.....on this family friendly forum.....we cannot condone having fun without protection.....

Fortunately, in your case.....riding without a helmet....means you're not protecting anything valuable.....

That looks like a blast....when I was a kid....my two most common dreams were a mini-bike or a super powerful accurate pellet gun.....

Never really got either...but came a lot closer with the guns.....

Maybe I'll get that mini-bike soon.....I'm still a kid....I'm only 58....
Closed Thread