Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Yard Karts View Post
You can buy a brand new complete OHH55 (same as OHH60) long block on eBay for $40, so not a whole lot. The ones on eBay have a tapered 3/4" crank which can be modified to use or clutch, or some people just use the crank out their of their old engine.

You can also buy a complete head with new valves, pushrods, and lifters to fix yours for $30 and a new cam for $22, if you're on a budget.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tecumseh...item5afdcdc16b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321430059093...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I new Predator is like $106 shipped to your door with the 20% off coupon code 22404776, so you have options
My problem would be fixing it myself. Cheaper than I though though, dang

Would these work on my engine? Could you direct me to a metal camshaft?
Old 12-11-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmicAcid View Post
My problem would be fixing it myself. Cheaper than I though though, dang

Would these work on my engine? Could you direct me to a metal camshaft?
Yes, that is the same head for your engine and the factory plastic cam for it.

This is the steel cam for your engine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Teuc...-/161393953245

You could seriously do the work yourself. They not hard to work on at all! You'd just need a head gasket and crankcase gasket to install the cam and new head.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is the same head for your engine and the factory plastic cam for it.

This is the steel cam for your engine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Teuc...-/161393953245

You could seriously do the work yourself. They not hard to work on at all! You'd just need a head gasket and crankcase gasket to install the cam and new head.
Gaskets? Would I need new ones
Old 12-11-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Gaskets? Would I need new ones
You really only need the head gasket and crankcase (side cover behind clutch), but this is the whole gasket set that has everything for a good price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecumseh-Eng...item35e08d5bf9
Old 12-11-2014, 09:17 PM

As much as I like these old Tecumseh's, just keep in mind that if you think you are going to want to go much faster at some point, there are way more hop up parts for Predators out there. There is a lot power that can be got out your engine, but will parts like a cam and flywheel will cost much more, and many parts will have to be fabricated or modified. I am a machinist, so this is never been a problem for me.

OTOH, if you want to learn about working on these engines, you can fix the one you have for the experience for not too much money.

I just thought I'd throw this out there, so you know all your options!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
As much as I like these old Tecumseh's, just keep in mind that if you think you are going to want to go much faster at some point, there are way more hop up parts for Predators out there. There is a lot power that can be got out your engine, but will parts like a cam and flywheel will cost much more, and many parts will have to be fabricated or modified. I am a machinist, so this is never been a problem for me.

OTOH, if you want to learn about working on these engines, you can fix the one you have for the experience for not too much money.

I just thought I'd throw this out there, so you know all your options!
I may end up working on the tecumseh later but imam considering just keeping a predator right now. But it goes so **** slow! Is there any simple speed up tips that won't ruin it?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I may end up working on the tecumseh later but imam considering just keeping a predator right now. But it goes so **** slow! Is there any simple speed up tips that won't ruin it?
Speed tips for a Predator or the Tecumseh?

Either way, removing the governor, adding better flowing air filter and exhaust, jetting the carb, and bumping up the timing is the best cheap mods you can do. All of those mods are something that has to be done if you are going to inside the engine to get big power later on anyway.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Speed tips for a Predator or the Tecumseh?

Either way, removing the governor, adding better flowing air filter and exhaust, jetting the carb, and bumping up the timing is the best cheap mods you can do. All of those mods are something that has to be done if you are going to inside the engine to get big power later on anyway.
Bumping the timing? And I've seen people remove governor from predators but unsure about it. The other things I see kits for online with all that stuff!
Old 12-11-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Bumping the timing? And I've seen people remove governor from predators but unsure about it. The other things I see kits for online with all that stuff!
You can advance the timing with offset flywheel key. These engines are not built for max power in stock form. They are made to be reliable, easy to start for the weakest person possible, and made to run at 3600 RPM. The timing is conservative from the factory, so there are power gains to be had from advancing it. There a lot a lot of simple things to get more power out of the engine in stock form.

As far as running without a governor - I see a lot of guys on here that seem to think that if you remove the governor and run the kart across the yard, its going to blow up. That really isn't the case. Now if you get it out on the road, run it WOT and rev it as high as it will go, then yeah, you're eventually going to tear it up. But if you are running around a piece of property, or even around a homemade track/course, you can rev the engine higher than 3600 RPM and do it everyday as long as you aren't pinning it to the floor and holding it for a long period of time. You can buy a small tachometer/hour meter that you can mount on the dash or steering wheel that will let you keep the RPM under 5500, and most engines have no problems running that all day long.

These engines ungoverned are not near as fragile as a lot of people make them out to be, but you can't stupid about it either.

The old quote from Uncle Ben in Spiderman, "With great power, comes great responsibility." applies here!
Old 12-11-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
You can advance the timing with offset flywheel key. These engines are not built for max power in stock form. They are made to be reliable, easy to start for the weakest person possible, and made to run at 3600 RPM. The timing is conservative from the factory, so there are power gains to be had from advancing it. There a lot a lot of simple things to get more power out of the engine in stock form.

As far as running without a governor - I see a lot of guys on here that seem to think that if you remove the governor and run the kart across the yard, its going to blow up. That really isn't the case. Now if you get it out on the road, run it WOT and rev it as high as it will go, then yeah, you're eventually going to tear it up. But if you are running around a piece of property, or even around a homemade track/course, you can rev the engine higher than 3600 RPM and do it everyday as long as you aren't pinning it to the floor and holding it for a long period of time. You can buy a small tachometer/hour meter that you can mount on the dash or steering wheel that will let you keep the RPM under 5500, and most engines have no problems running that all day long.

These engines ungoverned are not near as fragile as a lot of people make them out to be, but you can't stupid about it either.

The old quote from Uncle Ben in Spiderman, "With great power, comes great responsibility." applies here!
Awesome and I agree with you on the governor issue. This website claims you MUST change to a billet fly wheel if you remove governor but that is more of a recommendation, right?

Take a look at this kit, seems like it has everything you need for a starter kit. Just I wouldn't know how to put it on! I'm just lookin ahead right now, these mods are not anything I'm looking to immediately do.

http://www.ombwarehouse.com/Predator...ge-1-Hemi.html
Old 12-11-2014, 10:26 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjim View Post
It should work.....
I have a 60 tooth at home that fits that drum. It's in good shape, I only changed it cause I went to a 54. I'll check it tonight to be certain. If you want it, pay the shipping AND buy some stickers from DIYGK, and it's yours..... ( Robert.... LoL )
You do know that changing from 80 to 60 DRASTICALLY changes your drive ratio, right?
EDIT
Buy something from DIYGK and ill pay shipping on sprocket.....
Still waiting to hear back from ya!!
Old 12-11-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Awesome and I agree with you on the governor issue. This website claims you MUST change to a billet fly wheel if you remove governor but that is more of a recommendation, right?

Take a look at this kit, seems like it has everything you need for a starter kit. Just I wouldn't know how to put it on! I'm just lookin ahead right now, these mods are not anything I'm looking to immediately do.

http://www.ombwarehouse.com/Predator...ge-1-Hemi.html

For liability reasons, everyone is going to say you must put a billet flywheel on any engine that is running higher than 3600 RPM. DIY Go Karts, or anybody else, doesn't want to publish something saying your safe with a stock flywheel, and then have a defective flywheel or one that is being turned too high to hurt someone. OMB has a thread started years ago that says they'll ban anyone saying/suggesting to remove the governor without a billet rod and flywheel. They were going to add pictures of all these exploded flywheels, but I don't ever seeing but 2 or 3 engines total that had exploded flywheels. Of course, they sell billet rods and billet flywheels, so...

I know this; I started racing go karts 30 years ago, and we did not used to even have billet flywheels back then. They existed, but none of the tracks we competed at required them. Some of the guys running limited engines had them, but we ran Briggs flatheads at 6500 - 7000 RPM all day long, I never saw one fail. With that said, I would run a billet flywheel if I were racing now because that is sustained, high RPM. Clone flywheels have proven to safe to over 6000 RPM over and over by many people. Many people have pushed them more than that. In all honesty, you are going to throw a stock rod before the flywheel explodes. Now with anything that is mass produced, there could be a crack or defect, and the flywheel could fail. There could also be a crack in the crank shaft and the whole flywheel could fly off. There could possibly be cracks in all the head bolts and the head could fly off. You could even trip stepping over into the kart, and break you neck doing that! See where I'm going here!

The bottom line is -yes -it can happen, but very, very rarely ever does. The ones that are documented are usually highy modified race engines. Do a google image search for "exploded clone flywheel" or "clone flywheel explosion" and you'll find that one from the OMB forum. Just search "flywheel explosion" and you'll find page after page of automotive flywheel explosions, but almost no small engine pics.

I can only assume that all these ungoverned flywheels that exploding are killing the riders of the karts so they can't go the internet and post pics of the carnage!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xtreme Yard Karts For This Useful Post:
NapalmicAcid (12-12-2014), Poboy kartman (12-12-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 05:51 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,676 Posts

Ok, first, go & read this thread...

Once you're done, have a look through this thread...

They should be self explanatory...
Old 12-13-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjim View Post
You dropped the left (exhaust iirc) valve. I can see the top of it. I shouldn't be able to. The spring retainer has failed on you,causing the rod to drop. Buy a new set of valves. This one has been beat around and is no longer safe to run. It WILL happen again if you reuse it.
Ifyou don't see the clips in the valve cover area, you should pull the side cover. Well, you're gonna have to anyway, I believe, in order to fix this.....
This isn't hard. Just cause YOU never did it before, don't mean YOU can't...... You CAN, and we are gonna show you......
Edit
Next time, I'll read the WHOLE post before I pipe in...... LoL

LMAO !! That's right Firemanjim, you tell him. lol
Closed Thread