Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 09-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Scarface's Avatar
Scarface Scarface is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dover, PA, USA
Posts: 139
Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Ok, thanks. I put wd-40 on that driven today and I will try and get it off tomorrow but you also said take a "hot wrench" to it, what do you mean by that?
  #42  
Old 09-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Doc Sprocket's Avatar
Doc Sprocket Doc Sprocket is offline
*********
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,677
Thanks: 723
Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,693 Posts
Default

Mechanic's lingo for "torch". A simple propane jobbie that you screw onto a little disposable cylinder will be fine. Don't overdo it.
Attached Thumbnails
UL100_OnTorch_US.jpg  
__________________
Treat it as you would an aircraft frame and you should have no problems. -Name Withheld
The Manual- "Just the manufacturer's opinion of how to put this together."- Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor
Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!- Me!
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
  #43  
Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Scarface's Avatar
Scarface Scarface is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dover, PA, USA
Posts: 139
Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

So I was beating on it a little and I relized the whole shaft was coming out, then right at the time we had to clean up my friend saw a ring and so I am guessing that is what is holding the driven on to the axel? Is there a ceratin way I should be popping this ring off so I can re-use it? (if the ring is what I want off?)
  #44  
Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM
souperman000's Avatar
souperman000 souperman000 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Westlake Village, CA
Posts: 2,466
Thanks: 38
Thanked 224 Times in 212 Posts
Default

is it a snap ring? just pop it off with a screw driver and some needle nose pliers. that should work.
__________________
It's hard to help people that won't help themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to souperman000 For This Useful Post:
Scarface (09-26-2012)
  #45  
Old 09-26-2012, 02:50 AM
landuse's Avatar
landuse landuse is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Posts: 17,395
Thanks: 2,142
Thanked 3,479 Times in 2,837 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
...
Are you bumping your thread every 30 minutes? Please don't do that. You are not going to get any help any faster. It actually annoys people and you could get less help.
  #46  
Old 09-26-2012, 05:15 AM
Scarface's Avatar
Scarface Scarface is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dover, PA, USA
Posts: 139
Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
Are you bumping your thread every 30 minutes? Please don't do that. You are not going to get any help any faster. It actually annoys people and you could get less help.
I bumped it after 12 hours...
  #47  
Old 09-26-2012, 05:29 AM
landuse's Avatar
landuse landuse is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Posts: 17,395
Thanks: 2,142
Thanked 3,479 Times in 2,837 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I bumped it after 12 hours...
Ahhh. My bad....
  #48  
Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Doc Sprocket's Avatar
Doc Sprocket Doc Sprocket is offline
*********
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,677
Thanks: 723
Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,693 Posts
Default

Just- please- don't do it. When we get there, we get there...
__________________
Treat it as you would an aircraft frame and you should have no problems. -Name Withheld
The Manual- "Just the manufacturer's opinion of how to put this together."- Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor
Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!- Me!
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
  #49  
Old 09-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Scarface's Avatar
Scarface Scarface is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dover, PA, USA
Posts: 139
Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
Ahhh. My bad....
Quote:
Originally Posted by toystory_4wd View Post
Just- please- don't do it. When we get there, we get there...
The forums I have been on have a thing where when someone edits a post down at the bottum there will be little letters say last edited then the time it was last edited. But this forum does not have that, but if it did you would realise those ...(3 dots) was not me bumping it because I basically just deleted my post.

The first post with 3 dots, I was asking about where to put the flame when I heat it up. 12 hours later (the second post of 3 dots) I put ^!?, because no one answerd my question, so yes i was bumping the thread so maybe someone could answer the question, but I got home and no one answerd it and since I already tried heating it up my question did not mater anymore, so I basically deleted my post and put ... instead.

So the two post that have ... was not me bumping the thread it was me deleting a question I had that did not matter anymore. So next time i will type deleted post when i want to delete a post.
  #50  
Old 09-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Scarface's Avatar
Scarface Scarface is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dover, PA, USA
Posts: 139
Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman000 View Post
is it a snap ring? just pop it off with a screw driver and some needle nose pliers. that should work.

I got the ring off but the part that should spread apart on the driven does not spread apart, I assume it is stuck with rust so I drenched it with WD-40 and will try to pull it apart tomorrow.
  #51  
Old 09-27-2012, 01:54 AM
landuse's Avatar
landuse landuse is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Posts: 17,395
Thanks: 2,142
Thanked 3,479 Times in 2,837 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
The forums I have been on have a thing where when someone edits a post down at the bottum there will be little letters say last edited then the time it was last edited. But this forum does not have that, but if it did you would realise those ...(3 dots) was not me bumping it because I basically just deleted my post.

The first post with 3 dots, I was asking about where to put the flame when I heat it up. 12 hours later (the second post of 3 dots) I put ^!?, because no one answerd my question, so yes i was bumping the thread so maybe someone could answer the question, but I got home and no one answerd it and since I already tried heating it up my question did not mater anymore, so I basically deleted my post and put ... instead.

So the two post that have ... was not me bumping the thread it was me deleting a question I had that did not matter anymore. So next time i will type deleted post when i want to delete a post.
You do not need to type "deleted post" or delete the writing you had. All you have to do is click on the edit button (like you were doing) and then click on the button that says "delete post". This will delete your post. It won't even display anymore.

Regarding the time etc at the bottom saying your post was edited - it only inserts that if you fill in the space for reason edited. If you give no reason, you will not get that little disclaimer thing at the bottom. If I hadn't typed in "Added Image" in my reason for editing, it would not be there. Try it out
Attached Thumbnails
2012-09-27 08-55-46 AM.jpg  

Last edited by landuse; 09-27-2012 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Added image
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Scarface (09-27-2012)
  #52  
Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Scarface's Avatar
Scarface Scarface is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dover, PA, USA
Posts: 139
Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
You do not need to type "deleted post" or delete the writing you had. All you have to do is click on the edit button (like you were doing) and then click on the button that says "delete post". This will delete your post. It won't even display anymore.

Regarding the time etc at the bottom saying your post was edited - it only inserts that if you fill in the space for reason edited. If you give no reason, you will not get that little disclaimer thing at the bottom. If I hadn't typed in "Added Image" in my reason for editing, it would not be there. Try it out
Doh! ok thanks!
  #53  
Old 09-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Scarface's Avatar
Scarface Scarface is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dover, PA, USA
Posts: 139
Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

So I have this sprcoket, it is a 12 tooth and I want to try and find 8 tooth. I did some searching about sporckets yesteryday. The hole is 3/4" diameter and is keyed. All that I really got was that I think this is a type B sprocket. I just need some help finding the same kind of sprocket just with less teeth or need to know what I should be typing into the google search to find the sprocket I want because from looking yesterday there are millions of options.
Attached Thumbnails
HPIM0335.jpg   HPIM0336.jpg  

  #54  
Old 09-28-2012, 02:14 AM
landuse's Avatar
landuse landuse is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Posts: 17,395
Thanks: 2,142
Thanked 3,479 Times in 2,837 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
So I have this sprcoket, it is a 12 tooth and I want to try and find 8 tooth. I did some searching about sporckets yesteryday. The hole is 3/4" diameter and is keyed. All that I really got was that I think this is a type B sprocket. I just need some help finding the same kind of sprocket just with less teeth or need to know what I should be typing into the google search to find the sprocket I want because from looking yesterday there are millions of options.
Have a look at these links

To find out what pitch you have

The complete guide to chain and sprockets
http://chain-guide.com/applications/index.html
http://www.gizmology.net/sprockets.htm

To look for sprocket diameters and tooth counts

Azusa #35 and #40 sprocket diameters
http://www.azusaeng.com/Sprockets/AzSDno35.pdf
http://www.azusaeng.com/Sprockets/AzSDno40.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Scarface (09-28-2012)
  #55  
Old 09-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Scarface's Avatar
Scarface Scarface is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dover, PA, USA
Posts: 139
Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I still can't get my torque converter off, I got the one key out of the peice that holds the spring in one place but I can not get the key out that is holding the main peice of the tourqe converter to the axel. The key is like 3" long, I have one more thing I will try to Monday but I don't know if it is going to work.

If I get this off, and when I put it back on will it be as much of a PITA to get it on as it was to get it off, or should it be much easyer to put it on?
  #56  
Old 10-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Scarface's Avatar
Scarface Scarface is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dover, PA, USA
Posts: 139
Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Ok I finally got it apart yesterday and now I am getting the rust off, is there anything i would want to spray on the torque converter so it does not rust? Oh and is there a certain lube I should use on this for when I go to put it back on?
  #57  
Old 10-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Doc Sprocket's Avatar
Doc Sprocket Doc Sprocket is offline
*********
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,677
Thanks: 723
Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,693 Posts
Default

You should read the sticky on CVT maintenance.

Regarding that 8T sprocket- good luck. You're going to have a bugger of a time finding that in a 3/4" bore size. I'm not even sure they exist.
__________________
Treat it as you would an aircraft frame and you should have no problems. -Name Withheld
The Manual- "Just the manufacturer's opinion of how to put this together."- Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor
Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!- Me!
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
  #58  
Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Lph008 Lph008 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 45
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm Also in the same boat trying to figure out sprocket sizes, also ground clearance. Gonna run a motor between 5hp and 6.5hp would like it to be quick off the start but also have good top speed, the kart I got had a small engine and a 16T shaft sprocket and 30T axel sprocket on it, I've been told that would do nothing
  #59  
Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Scarface's Avatar
Scarface Scarface is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dover, PA, USA
Posts: 139
Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toystory_4wd View Post
You should read the sticky on CVT maintenance.

Regarding that 8T sprocket- good luck. You're going to have a bugger of a time finding that in a 3/4" bore size. I'm not even sure they exist.
Oh duh, I printed the first post on that CVT maintenance thread and stuck it in my book bag and forgot about it.
Well I have a 12T on it now so maybe a 9,10, or 11?
  #60  
Old 10-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Scarface's Avatar
Scarface Scarface is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dover, PA, USA
Posts: 139
Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lph008 View Post
I'm Also in the same boat trying to figure out sprocket sizes, also ground clearance. Gonna run a motor between 5hp and 6.5hp would like it to be quick off the start but also have good top speed, the kart I got had a small engine and a 16T shaft sprocket and 30T axel sprocket on it, I've been told that would do nothing
Ok I just read your other thread, so are you getting a torque converter or are you just going to run it engine straight to axel? But which ever you do, you want to get the least amount of teeth on the sprocket that is either going on the engine shaft or the jack shaft. The smaller that sprocket is the smaller your main axel sprocket will be, there for more ground clearance for the sprocket. If that is not enough clearance for your you then I would up the diameter of back tires until you have good clearance that you want. But then, bigger the tires are, the less take off and more top speed I think, so I would try and get the smallest sprocket first then pick your tire size. That's what I am doing but I may be wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scarface For This Useful Post:
Lph008 (10-04-2012)
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:54 PM.