Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 PM

Default Picked this up for $40

Was originally listed on Craigslist as a Rockett (I thinking a Triumph Rockett), no pictures of course. When the woman emailed me the picture she said make offer I want it gone, I told her I would be at $40 and she said ok. I think the motor is toast, It wont turn over currently and when I pulled the pipe of the head out came a bunch of water. I bought it for the usuable parts anyway, all the nuts and bolts, springs and clamps, front brake assembly, front forks and handle bars, rear shock, gas tank, carb, chain & sprockets, exhaust pipe and muffler, and anything else worth hanging on to. I figure if I can get 10 bucks for the rear wheel and tire and even 10-20 bucks for anything usuable from the motor then I am doin alright.

Shot at 2011-07-25
Old 07-26-2011, 01:36 AM

What in the **** did they run into with that thing. ouch. Great find regardless. Don't give up on that motor yet, Get some auto-trans fluid or marvel oil and dump a ton of it into the cylinder on that thing, Let it sit like that for awhile and see if she'll turn over eventually. If its rusted really bad, it could possibly be cleaned up and honed.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:05 AM
Tecumseh FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSpawn View Post
What in the **** did they run into with that thing. ouch. Great find regardless. Don't give up on that motor yet, Get some auto-trans fluid or marvel oil and dump a ton of it into the cylinder on that thing, Let it sit like that for awhile and see if she'll turn over eventually. If its rusted really bad, it could possibly be cleaned up and honed.
uuuuummmmmmmm.wow
Old 07-26-2011, 03:07 AM

yesss! don't give up on the motor! once i had a similar problem the engine wouldn't turn over on my friends bike so i took it apart and took the piston out and tried to turn over thengine and it turned over but it was hard so i just dumped oil all in the brand case and put some oil in a bucket and coated the piston with oil and poured some in the cylinder and it turned over the way it was suppose to nd cleaned the carb with lemon juice and it started!! my point is if the above ^^^ method dosnt work just take it apart and oil everything individually nd clean the carb
Old 07-26-2011, 03:18 AM
Tecumseh FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipwnr View Post
yesss! don't give up on the motor! once i had a similar problem the engine wouldn't turn over on my friends bike so i took it apart and took the piston out and tried to turn over thengine and it turned over but it was hard so i just dumped oil all in the brand case and put some oil in a bucket and coated the piston with oil and poured some in the cylinder and it turned over the way it was suppose to nd cleaned the carb with lemon juice and it started!! my point is if the above ^^^ method dosnt work just take it apart and oil everything individually nd clean the carb
did you hone and install new rings?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:19 AM
Pro Junk Collector

Its a roketta dirtbike, chinese clone. generally copy honda motors. hunks of **** but for 40 you cant really go wrong.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:56 AM

I havent given up yet, I am hoping that if it had enough oil in it it isnt rusted up too bad, just give it a good cleaning and maybe it will still run. Even if it doesnt no biggie, I still got $40 worth of usable parts off of it.

I have no idea how things get into these conditions.. the front rim is smashed beyond belief, the front brake lever is broke, the front and rear fenders are broke, seat was torn, wiring sheddred, and full of whatever...

Regardless i do plan to break the motor down and see if I can salvage it.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:15 PM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,693 Posts

Got me, man- the little pitbike carcass I just picked up looks like it was driven off a cliff. To say the frame is broken is like saying the pacific is a somewhat large-ish body of water. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear some 400lb dood was trying to set new hang time records with the dang thing. The spark plug lead is melted along most of itKs length, part of the exhaust port flange is broken, the front brake handle is missing the last inch or so, and I refuse to believe an engine could run with the air filter caked like that. Runs great, though! Wanna send me yer frame? Lol
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 07-26-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B man View Post
did you hone and install new rings?
well the rings looked good and it still had good compression so i didn't get new rings for it
Old 07-26-2011, 02:49 PM

Yeah, I really don't understand how things get so completely trashed in every aspect either. Every once in a while you come across something and say 'How the f*** could anything possibly get this messed up?'

Good find for $40 though... at the very least a scrapyard would probably pay close to that much for the aluminum/steel in it.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toystory_4wd View Post
Got me, man- the little pitbike carcass I just picked up looks like it was driven off a cliff. To say the frame is broken is like saying the pacific is a somewhat large-ish body of water. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear some 400lb dood was trying to set new hang time records with the dang thing. The spark plug lead is melted along most of itKs length, part of the exhaust port flange is broken, the front brake handle is missing the last inch or so, and I refuse to believe an engine could run with the air filter caked like that. Runs great, though! Wanna send me yer frame? Lol
If ya weren't in Canada I'd ship it to ya.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badot View Post
Yeah, I really don't understand how things get so completely trashed in every aspect either. Every once in a while you come across something and say 'How the f*** could anything possibly get this messed up?'

Good find for $40 though... at the very least a scrapyard would probably pay close to that much for the aluminum/steel in it.
I know right, I think this think is heavier than my CR125 was....
Old 07-26-2011, 08:48 PM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentrek View Post
If ya weren't in Canada I'd ship it to ya.
Meh- that's okay- I don't want a pit bike anyhow. Sooner or later it'll end up powering a kart. It'll be a pretty engine when cleaned up, several red anodized aluminum parts on it.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 PM

Well, this is what it looked like when I pulled the head off. Its soaking in about 1/2 inch of PB Blaster right now. Im definetely going to have to pick up a cylinder hone and new rings. Oh, and I did take a little nylon bristle brush and scrubbed as much of the crud off as I could and vacuumed it out before spraying all the pb blaster in there.

Shot at 2011-07-26

Shot at 2011-07-26
Old 07-27-2011, 09:56 PM

Well.... The cylinder is pitted, not too horrible but still pitted from the rust, it must have been sitting with the water in it. The crank case was also full of water, so I drained it all and sprayed the crank and rod bearings down with penetrating oil. I also accidentally broke one of the compression rings, I broke about 1/2 inch off of one end. I am going to go ahead and put it back together and see what happens. I have nothing to lose. If it were to start I may look for parts to fix it correctly.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:29 PM

someone really took care of that bike...
Old 07-27-2011, 10:46 PM

Haha... Yeah they sure did....
I am starting to think that the bike actually had very little run time on it. I am wondering if someone bought for there kid, said kid hit something smashing the front wheel which caused the thing to flip breaking the fenders and front brake lever. The rear sprocket has virtually no wear or wear marks at all and the internals of the motor (except the cylinder, and some slight surface rust on the unsubmerged parts of the crank) are spotless, not to mention the exterior of the motor. Tires have very little wear as well.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:57 PM

i wonder if he fell off a bridge and went underwater.

that could explain the tire. and the water! you think the engine hydro-locked while running? or they just kept it outside?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:23 AM

judging by the insect nest under the seat and in the frame I would say its been sitting outside for awhile...
Old 07-30-2011, 10:24 PM

Well, I spent the evening putting this back together and cleaning the carb real good. To no surprise it did not start though, 99% sure becuase of lack of compression due to a broken compression ring and the pits in the cylinder wall. I think since it has such strong spark and the rest of the motor is extremely clean and the rod bearings freed up I am going to go ahead and find a new cylinder and get some new rings. I mean I only paid $40 for the whole bike and I already got $40 worth of usuable bolts off of it let alone all the other stuff.

Shot at 2011-07-30

Shot at 2011-07-30

Shot at 2011-07-30
Closed Thread