Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 05:57 PM
redneck engineer

Default Honda clone help

Hi,

i have a honda clone, the gx200 model, on my manco thunderbird minibike, the only mod that was done is for the aftermarket airfilter, well in trying to hook up my own throttle cable, i took the govenor arm off, and after i did this, to try to hook it up for my mini bike, everytime, instead of starting it backfires, i had the idea that the govenor could not be closing and just open all the time, and it did look like that, but im really not smart enough to just guess, so now im coming to you guys, can you help me?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:20 PM
AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY

Check and clean spark plug.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 PM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,693 Posts

Did you open up the engine and remove the internal governor components? Perhaps you did not time it correctly putting it back together.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Sprocket For This Useful Post:
kendelrk (02-19-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 06:26 PM
redneck engineer

no i didnt remove the whole govner, on the clone, you have the usual arm, which is held by a spring to another arm that has a rod stright to the govner, so i took off the first spring to the govner and took off the usual arm, but keep the one with the rod to the govner, since ive removed the arm it keeps backfiring, where just before this it ran perfectly fine, i thought maybe it wasnt closing because the rod wasnt being pulled on at all. could this be it?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:33 PM

To begin with, either remove the entire governor mechanism, or don't meddle with it at all. Leaving it partially intact does you no favours at all.

Can you provide a good pic of what you've done, preferably with the air box ans gas tank removed?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:42 AM
redneck engineer

i have no airbox because its been replaced with an aftermarket carbuertor airfilter, i cannot get the gas tank to come off, as i do not have enough force to get the factory turned bolts off and theres no one in my area to help me, i can provide i good pic, here is it,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0126.JPG   IMG_0128.JPG  

Last edited by kendelrk; 02-19-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: pics didnt show up,
Old 02-19-2011, 11:11 AM

[i cannot get the gas tank to come off, as i do not have enough force to get the factory turned bolts off and theres no one in my area to help me

Use two wrenches for leverage, check out this article and pic. I've actually used three before. Becareful though if the wrenches slip you might bust a knuckle, if your ever pushing a wrench do it with your hand open. You can also use a piece of pipe.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5264909_incr...ge-wrench.html
Old 02-19-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendelrk View Post
i cannot get the gas tank to come off, as i do not have enough force to get the factory turned bolts off and theres no one in my area to help me.
Use two wrenches for leverage, check out this article and pic. I've actually used three before. Becareful though if the wrenches slip you might bust a knuckle, if your ever pushing a wrench do it with your hand open. You can also use a piece of pipe.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5264909_incr...ge-wrench.html
Old 02-19-2011, 11:16 AM

O yea, if your wrench's came from the dollar store (cheap made I mean) don't do this. You need quality wrenches or they can break and you can get hurt for sure.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:06 PM
redneck engineer

thanks for the advice, is the govner stuck open? when i look through the carb and push the covner it looks like the valve actually closes, but when i release, goes open, i think its running at full throttle, so when it goes to start it gets to much gas and backfires,
Old 02-19-2011, 05:24 PM
redneck engineer

any help at all?
Old 02-19-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendelrk View Post
thanks for the advice, is the govner stuck open? when i look through the carb and push the covner it looks like the valve actually closes, but when i release, goes open, i think its running at full throttle, so when it goes to start it gets to much gas and backfires,
If the engine is NOT running when the above happens, don't worry about it. The GOVERNOR always holds WOT with the engine off.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:49 PM
redneck engineer

well, to me, on my engine it takes 5 pulls to get it started, and 2 or 3 when its cold, only on the 5th pull, will it backfire, instead of starting, so what i thought it was, is on that pull, when the engine is to start, it backfires because theres to much gas, as soon as i removed the arm and spring to it, it wont start, just backfire instead,
Old 02-19-2011, 06:49 PM

But is the throttle "stuck open" with the engine off, or running? Let's get this a bit at a time. Don't assume it's backfiring from too much fuel, that may not be the case. So-
Engine running or not when throttle stuck?
And can you not just put the linkage back?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:05 PM
redneck engineer

the engine wont start at all, just backfires on the pull it would usually start, ive tried to put the linkage back on, but it wont seem to go back on the way it was from the factory, the engine dosent run, and as i look down the caruretor, it looks like the throttle sideways kinda like this ( l ) and when i push it forward it looks closed like the closed choke,
Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 PM

Okay, so in 100 words or less...

"The throttle appears stuck open with the engine off"? Yes? No? I don't want to appear rude, but there's really only so many times I'm willing to ask the same question before I go find something else to do.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:22 PM
redneck engineer

yes, it appears stuck open with the engine off,
Old 02-19-2011, 07:38 PM

Okay, great. Now ignore it. The throttle is ALWAYS wide open with the engine off. Now, why can't you put the linkage back on?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:41 PM
redneck engineer

when i put the linkage back on, and bolt it down and everything like im supposed to, when i pull the throttle lever back, nothing moves at all, before i took it off it pulled back the govner when i pulled it back, now when i pull it back, it does absolutley nothing,
Old 02-19-2011, 08:14 PM

Are you dead sure of that? Normally with the engine OFF, moving the throttle lever does absolutely nothing. If you look at the mechanism, you will see that the hand throttle lever affects spring tension, and spring tension only. With the engine off, the governors weights are completely retracted, and the arm holds the throttle wide open until the engine starts. This is dead normal. Put everything back to stock configuration, and work it out from there.
Closed Thread