Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertduler View Post
You are correct Bob. I lost my tuned exhaust pipe software due to my old computer crashed. I am going to purchase new software and make the pipe for this thing. I have everything to build the pipe as I have built them before. That is why I state in the video that there will be more updates on this thing as I am not done with it.
Dont want to sound nosey , but is it possible to know what kind of software it is ?

I did dig around for expansion chamber software , but it all ended up being waaaay above budget .

and since its not my profession , i cant really digest spending 3 figures for a piece of software id use from time to time ..
Old 05-03-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertduler View Post
I am going to purchase new software and make the pipe for this thing. I have everything to build the pipe as I have built them before. That is why I state in the video that there will be more updates on this thing as I am not done with it.
Are you going to work the ports and compression too? It looks like the Sachs was not designed to use an expansion chamber, so I would think it doesn't have the stock port timing to leverage one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbCarter View Post
Dont want to sound nosey , but is it possible to know what kind of software it is ?

I did dig around for expansion chamber software , but it all ended up being waaaay above budget .

and since its not my profession , i cant really digest spending 3 figures for a piece of software id use from time to time ..
I've done a lot of reading on pipe design lately because I have an old Yamaha that needs one.

You don't actually need to buy any software. From what I can tell, most of it is based on solving the equations for you with a sprinkle on extra "nice-to-have" features like power curve projections. The equations are based on literature from the 1970s, '80s, and '90s and that literature can be found free online.

The equations can be done by hand though. In any case you will have to know all the details of the engine. Port map, timing, squish, rod length, compression, etc.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65ShelbyClone View Post
Are you going to work the ports and compression too? It looks like the Sachs was not designed to use an expansion chamber, so I would think it doesn't have the stock port timing to leverage one.

I've done a lot of reading on pipe design lately because I have an old Yamaha that needs one.

You don't actually need to buy any software. From what I can tell, most of it is based on solving the equations for you with a sprinkle on extra "nice-to-have" features like power curve projections. The equations are based on literature from the 1970s, '80s, and '90s and that literature can be found free online.

The equations can be done by hand though. In any case you will have to know all the details of the engine. Port map, timing, squish, rod length, compression, etc.
I know about the equations , i have read some books about 2strokes aswell (A. Graham Bell and Jennings ) . Just that if im honest , i dont trust my own math enough , and having a visual representation of your work before you pour resources in it is a nice bonus .

If i manage to get my hands on a 100cc reed valved engine , i may need to make my own pipe to get the most out of it ...

Tho , sorry to OP , this is a bit off-topic.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65ShelbyClone View Post

Any two stroke engine will benefit from the installation of a correctly built expansion chamber. The engine does not need to designed to use a expansion chamber it is the other way around. No matter what the port timing is or the blow down time is etc a tuned pipe works on pressure waves with reversion in order to reduce some of the air fuel mixture escaping out the exhaust port during different rpm ranges. A tuned expansion chamber has specific BMEP range built into the design so that being said there are many configurations of expansion chambers that one can make depending on the power band within the port timing specs that one can achieve. I am going to make a pipe which will produce a wide power curve and with the computer aided software I can select the pipe that I want. Plus there is a computer aided cone program that comes with the software which enables you to make the pipe sections in different pieces in order to configure the pipe to fit the area to the needs of mounting and so forth. I have not altered the port timing as I want a wide power band and I have set up the squish band on this engine via cylinder base gasket thickness. This is not my first time building a expansion chamber by any means with computer aided software. I have done lot's of two cycle engine modifications porting included. Stick around and I will show you how I build a pipe or check out some of my other threads on this site and you will see some of my pipe building and engine modifications.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Here ya go Newb.
http://www.buildandclick.com/
Two Stroke Wizard Tuned Pipe Pro 5
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertduler For This Useful Post:
NewbCarter (05-03-2018)
Closed Thread