Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > All Other Parts

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 10:39 PM

Default Newbie, advice on selected parts?

Hello all! I have just started doing research finding parts for a custom go kart a friend and I are making with a predator 212 engine we inherited. I've just finished doing my first round of parts-searching and this is what I came up with. Here's the links to the parts I have selected so far. For reference my friend and I are prioritizing cost rather than performance, however I would much rather have a reliable yet more expensive part than a cheaper part that is doomed to fail.

Axle

Rear Rims

Rear Tires

Clutch

Rear Sprocket and Hub

(According to this online calculator at the 212's top rpm of 3800 and a tire diameter of 13" I have a gear ratio of 4.8 and a top speed of ~30mph)

And last but not least, chain.

Once again the priority here is cost-efficiency but not at the cost of safety. I want this thing to last a while, not explode after the first run .

Admittedly, the gearing is something I know absolutely nothing about . The site said that for a centrifugal clutch their top speed is generally ~35mph so anything under that is good, so that is pretty much the only guideline I had. If this gearing is too aggressive/not aggressive enough just let me know. I just want this to be able to go 25 mph without being at redline, but if this is an unreasonable goal given the 212 engine let me know. I don't wanna push the engine to do anything it isn't capable of doing; I'd rather have a slower working kart than a faster kart that I only used a couple of times because the engine blew up.

If you guys have any more advice on any parts I haven't picked yet, let me know! At the moment the next step for me will probably be finding a braking system, but I also have been seeing a lot of talk in the threads about bearings, so that might be something that I could look into next. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-09-2018, 11:20 PM

With a centrifugal clutch (especially an El cheapo), you shouldn't really go below. 6:1 ratio. The acceleration will be dismal and it will likely burn up your clutch in short order.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:47 PM

Okay, noted and adjusted for. If I keep it to 6:1 should the clutch last a while or should I put a little more in a better one?
Old 03-10-2018, 03:59 AM

Thanked 4,363 Times in 3,282 Posts

with recent prices on series 30 TCs I'd say go that route;
that ratio should work on a light kart and you even get 10% more speed in the end

BTW I paid about 25 bucks for my maxtorque clutch,
and while it's certainly not a racing clutch that'd withstand the abuse of a bad gear ratio a bit longer. It's still a good quality clutch, certainly good enough for most yard/fun karts.

I don't say the one you linked to is inferior.. BUT it's no maxtorque but likely a clone of one
So personally, I'd lean towards the Maxtorque any time.

Long story short, check to see if you can find a nice series 30 TC
like say this one (couldn't find a #40 chain version being on the wrong side of the pond...but you get the diea):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeremywell-...n/222793620532

if you want to stick with a clutch, a MaxTorque SS or Hilliard Extreme Duty will serve you well and won't cost a fortune

'sid
Old 03-10-2018, 06:06 PM

Something like this? I talked with my friend and if we could keep the 4.8:1 ratio with this torque converter it would be worth the extra cost.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:03 AM

Thanked 4,363 Times in 3,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official_Dalek View Post
Something like this? I talked with my friend and if we could keep the 4.8:1 ratio with this torque converter it would be worth the extra cost.
exactly like that, yes.

Yeah, I'm fairly confident you can keep the 4.8:1 ratio
(depends on the total weight of the kart!)
and the quality of the belt delivered I'm afraid.
some chinese belts are uite good, others are simply crap .. no way to tell other than giving it a try.
If your belt fails, buy an original comet belt as a replacement, that's for sure a quality product that'll last (assuming you stay within it's capabilities that is )

'sid
Old 03-11-2018, 11:21 AM

Ah, the weight might be a problem. We're trying to make our kart rather unique, and as such we're using a wheelbarrow as a seat/sidewalls of the kart. Would that increase the weight by too much?
Old 03-11-2018, 12:38 PM

On second thought, I think we're just gonna stick with a clutch and 6:1 so that way we definitely have the acceleration.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:54 AM
Sick, Tired, and in Debt

Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,740 Posts

What kind of wheelbarrow? How much does it weigh?

6 :1 with clutch is 6 :1 at engagement.
23mph at 3600 RPM
32mph at 5000 RPM
Slowest Acceleration
Slowest Top Speed

4.8 :1 with torque converter is 12.9 :1 at engagement.
32mph at 3600 RPM
44mph at 5000 RPM
Middle Acceleration
Fastest Top Speed

6 :1 with torque converter is 16.1 :1 at engagement.
26mph at 3600 RPM
36mph at 5000 RPM
Fastest Acceleration
Middle Top Speed
Old 03-12-2018, 05:49 PM

use DIYGOKARTS as a promo code at gopowersports for 10% off
Closed Thread