Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 07:17 PM
fasterSr

Default The big black hole in my future Kart

Quite simply, I want to go from A to B as quickly as possible. ET & MPH in 1/8 and 1/4 mile. The track I have is firm clean beach sand and can handle up to one mile straight arrow runs but the shutdown area beyond that degrades to unpredictable. This can also be said of some nearby mostly abandoned asphalt two lane roads in roughly the same condition. Just not quite as legal.

I've got the design* of the rear engined Kart/Dragster/Superbird that I want to build however the drivetrain is still a big black mocking hole. The Kart will have no suspension, a low forward rake with 6 to 9" ground clearance and perhaps 22" tires in back.

How would you fill the black hole? But first...the fine print...

No VW or car engines and please keep it real (no jet engines).

$1K or less budget. New or used but complete engine/drivetrain. Engine block must display a CARB Calif "approved" sticker (NO cheating. Sticker must match engine as it will be checked).

Bonus if you can figure in a way for me to run just enough nitro to smell it in the air. I quess Cox Glo Fuel is a no so how much Nitro would be safe to use if any?

Maybe the video below is something to consider for my purposes? I like their style, not so much the sound they make. But they do move out pretty good.

* Please...can someone send me a PM if they know an EASY way for Dumb Seniors to post my scanned image that sadly has no URL of it's own?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Sick, Tired, and in Debt

Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterSr View Post
* Please...can someone send me a PM if they know an EASY way for Dumb Seniors to post my scanned image that sadly has no URL of it's own?
I PM'd you, but since it might help other people too.

It looks more complicated than it is.
You can't do it from the "Quick Reply" box under a post.
You need the Advanced features, which are not available in "Quick Reply".

click on "Post Reply" under a post,
or click on "Go Advanced" which is near the bottom of the Quick Reply box,
scroll down,
click "Manage Attachments",
click "Choose File"
Find the image saved to your PC,
click "Open"
repeat for multiple images,
click "Upload"
Click "Close This Window"
Click "Submit Reply"

If you've found the Smiley's, you are not far from "Manage Attachments"
Old 12-11-2017, 08:32 PM
fasterSr

Thank you bob58o.

BTW, I am not an artist but I had to get it out of my head and this was the result. Next step is to get it on graph paper to get it into scale. I'm 6'1" @ 215 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
KD draft final.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to fasterSr For This Useful Post:
bob58o (12-11-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 10:51 AM
fasterSr

Nothing? Well, no wonder I've been struggling with this. What would you install then? My preference is still 4 stroke but my buddy said his 400 ATV has had him up to 77MPH.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:39 PM
fasterSr

To be honest, I've spent waaaay too much time on this ATV/Kart meshing thing (Polaris 400...maybe) and there isn't much on the subject. The trans for an ATV seems to allow the engine to rev considerably higher (1-2000 RPM more) from the second gear? ), even though they are all operating from the same typical 4 stroke variety engines. Then there's that CARB sticker issue... Ugh!

So to save my sanity, let's go with something tried and true...

$400 Predator 420cc
13 HP OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine EPA/CARB approved
Horsepower (hp) 13
Speed (max) 3600 RPM
Maximum Torque (ft. - lbs.) 18.4 ft. lbs. @ 2500 RPM

So keeping my goal in mind and the eventual upgrades to the engine, should I start with a 30 or 40 series?
Old 12-15-2017, 01:56 AM

780 comet would hold up better to higher power and tpms if you modify the engine. The 780 from GPS can supposedly take 50hp. It should hold up to 6500rpm without any issues (was used in quads and I believe some snowmobiles).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2017, 10:10 AM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterSr View Post
Quite simply, I want to go from A to B as quickly as possible. ET & MPH in 1/8 and 1/4 mile. The track I have is firm clean beach sand and can handle up to one mile straight arrow runs but the shutdown area beyond that degrades to unpredictable. This can also be said of some nearby mostly abandoned asphalt two lane roads in roughly the same condition. Just not quite as legal.

I've got the design* of the rear engined Kart/Dragster/Superbird that I want to build however the drivetrain is still a big black mocking hole. The Kart will have no suspension, a low forward rake with 6 to 9" ground clearance and perhaps 22" tires in back.

How would you fill the black hole? But first...the fine print...

No VW or car engines and please keep it real (no jet engines).

$1K or less budget. New or used but complete engine/drivetrain. Engine block must display a CARB Calif "approved" sticker (NO cheating. Sticker must match engine as it will be checked).

Bonus if you can figure in a way for me to run just enough nitro to smell it in the air. I quess Cox Glo Fuel is a no so how much Nitro would be safe to use if any?

Maybe the video below is something to consider for my purposes? I like their style, not so much the sound they make. But they do move out pretty good.

That is what I want my future GO KART to look like!! The frame looks simple enough. And I know that the strength is in the box of them plain looking quads.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:14 AM
fasterSr

Ah, I had not even run accross the 780 in my searches buy it looks to be rated the same as the 40. I'll check up more on it. While looking at that, it suggested this...

https://www.amazon.com/Comet-High-Pe.../dp/B000IOD7N0

thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
That is what I want my future GO KART to look like!! The frame looks simple enough. And I know that the strength is in the box of them plain looking quads.
Yep and the wind screen is rightabout where a person should be riding in that thing! NOT on it! LOL

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
Yep and the wind screen is rightabout where a person should be riding in that thing! NOT on it! LOL
Old 12-15-2017, 02:28 PM

just for the record you don't want to build that banshee motor it's got way to much money in it for your budget and thats not even considering the maintenance. something at that level is about 30k. I also wouldn't use a atv motor because your limiting your available hp and adding complexity to the tranny set up. most 2wd atv's top out around 50hp stock and are limited to about 80mph without serious regearing. 1/4 is a long track when your topped out before the 1/8.
personally I'd look at using a snowmobile motor as you can use the cvt clutch setup and have higher hp and speed out the the box. I don't know whats available in your area but around me i can get a 800cc two stroke sled for $800-1000. I'm planning a build right now with a yamaha nytro sled motor but a little different then your use I am planning on a street legal rig when done. just to give you a idea heres a motor in a revolt buggy to see what they are capable of.

that's a stock motor and he doesn't have it jetted right so he's not topping it out. 140hp or so stock
The Following User Says Thank You to doggerss For This Useful Post:
fasterSr (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 03:04 PM

If you already have the quad engine, I say use it. Just figure out your ratios and do your gearing with chain's and sprockets. the are pretty simple to change and relatively cheap. If you top out n the eighth mile in high gear, gear it taller. You'll be fast and have more horsepower to play with stock.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:04 PM
fasterSr

Since the kart is all in "dream stage", I was stuck there too so Thanks! for all the input.

doggerss...that POV on the video? You nailed it. I don't even care if it was 37 MPH, as long as it feels fast. Of course once the bar is set, I know me and it's game on. Snow machines are plentiful just across the border in OR but those engines would likely NOT be CARB approved.

RustyRedneck...I have no engine as of yet, just a tornado of ideas in my head so I got a little sidetracked. My buddy with the 400 thinks he has a few more hunting seasons left in it/him. Totally agree on the gearing and it would be a shame not to see what could be done in 3/4 mile...or use all of the mile with a drag chute.

I've decided I will start with a 420cc/40 series. Tried and true and once the platform is in, it all can be modified as needed. This was the final piece of the puzzle and I"m pretty excited about it. I can now draw it all to scale and next year I will do a lifesize model out of PVC pipe to minimize errors during the actual build.

Thanks again!
Closed Thread