Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 11-09-2019, 03:12 PM

Default DONGFANG DF200GKD Gokart help???

I have a dongfang df200gkd gokart that I purchase used and having electrical issue. When the ignition key is turn there are no power and the engine won’t start. I jump the solenoid and the engine run and the gokart drive good but still no power. I used a voltage meters to test the back of the key ignition and it’s showing power so I don’t understand why it won’t start. There is a loose black wire in the front and I can’t find where it connect to not sure if it’s for ground. On the back of the engine there is also a wire plug that’s not connect to anything and the color wire is yellow, purple and green. Would like to get the electrical to work, any help would be greatly appreciate.
Attached Thumbnails
DDC32EBB-D0A7-43E6-9B5E-6D94F10C112A.jpg   DF7FDD83-8EC7-4AA3-BC4C-000018D74BD6.jpg  

572E1097-DAE4-4831-8DEC-12F4B1FC8BB8.jpg   E78F69BB-C8BD-4C23-B9E0-CE3ACF443F20.jpg  

F6B1BF0B-CB6B-4DE7-9FD3-158DC23E9384.jpg   6AB1CB9B-F5AB-4BCE-AB5A-213FBF8B4606.jpg  

Old 11-09-2019, 10:00 PM

Get a 12 volt test light, turn the key on then start at the rear of the kart. Make sure your light is grounded well. Put the probe into both ends of every connector with red wires then check each connector with black wires to see if you have power at them. Check your fuses back there too, I had one in my Carbide that looked good but fell apart when I checked it with a test light. Test light is your best bet, start probing around, literally. Unplug every connector then plug them back in one at a time. Keep probing for "hots" until you find a dead circuit. That one wire that isn't hooked up may be normal. Look online for a Dongfang manual.

---------- Post added 11-10-2019 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-09-2019 at 11:56 PM ----------

Contact their support department.

https://www.redfoxpowersports.com/pa...art-motorcycle
Old 11-10-2019, 11:57 AM

Yea I will give that a try. On the ignition key start which color wire I need to short to get the starter to power the engine? Which wires is to power all the lights, horns and gauge?
Old 11-10-2019, 01:37 PM

You might not to be able to jump any wires at the key switch if you're not getting power there. Start at the rear of the kart. If there's a power distribution box above the engine check the wiring under it by removing the cover. This is actually a pretty common concern with these machines. Poor connections, poor grounds. If you can, find a shop manual online. These might help, just make sure they aren't bogus sites where you end up downloading Spyware. Look for something similar.

https://needanownersmanual.com/produ...oducts_id=1250

https://infocenter.buggypartsnw.com/...r/?page_id=282
Old 11-12-2019, 03:45 AM

I am getting power at the key switch but when I turn the key nothing happen, I wanna see if it’s my key switch slot that’s mess up. There are a total of 5 wires on the back of the key switch one power wire one kill switch wire and the other 3 are ground. I try to short all 3 ground to see if it start nothing so having trouble figuring out which wire I need to short to get it starting.
Attached Thumbnails
E6C8A66A-4E61-4392-847D-63B2454B48CD.jpg  
Old 11-12-2019, 07:38 AM

Bypass any kill switches on the kart to eliminate those as possible culprits. You may have a bad kill switch. Most karts have two, one at the dashboard area and one at the engine. Pull the wires off the back of the switches and jump them with a wire or paper clip. Forgot to mention this step. You'll need to find a wiring diagram somehow.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Which of those wires is hot if any? A test light will show that. Jump the "hot" ones if there is power at two of them.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

Sid had this posted from a previous question someone had asked. Maybe it will help you.

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40515

http://www.df-motor.com/MLC/Owner's%20Menu%20.pdf

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

https://www.speednscooter.com/collec...dongfang-motor
Old 11-15-2019, 09:09 AM

I still have not figure it out. My killswitch is built inside the key ignition switch in the front dashboard. Which wire color in the key switch I need to short to make my starter work?
Old 11-16-2019, 06:07 AM

This is the problem when purchasing Brand X machines. No documentation, no support, no parts. Either keep trying different things or try and find documentation somewhere. A Dongfang dealer would be your best place to start or a shop that works on them. This is probably why the previous owner gave it up, no way to get any help and no resources. All you can do is continue diagnosing the problem the best you can.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:50 PM

Why don't you consider a complete wiring harness replacement? If there's a factory one available, that might be the way to go or look into a universal if you can match it up to your CDI module and magneto. Might make more sense to replace the whole thing, that way you'll have new keys and everything should work if everything else is in good shape. Something to consider.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:16 PM

Thanked 4,589 Times in 3,464 Posts

it's usually pretty easy to find out what a certain wire does by just tracing it back to
the origin

and then just making some educated guesses and testing that in a secure way
(resistance, voltages, signal... depending on what one would suspect)

that black one is shortout protected by the sleave (a japanese style bullet connector)..
so chances are it's not meant to get into contact with chassis ground.
it looks alot what my tail light connectors looks like on my motorbike..
So see if your front lights or indicators are missing one.

The three rainbow wires need to be traced properly..
I suspect they are either a set of indicator wires (tank gauge, gear select)
the tail light (with brake light) turn signal (left and right )
ORRR which would explain the issues.. belong to the regulator/generator connection
(no power means no power, right?)

btw.. since we now heard about half a dozen DF200GKDs not starting..
my bets on a faulty key switch by now...
left outside, not properly water sealed.. it'll internally rust.

So check that first, and replace when defective.

'sid
Old 11-17-2019, 07:53 AM

Here's a complete harness for a GKA Series buggy, ask them if this might cross reference over possibly or if they have the one for your machine. We'll get you going eventually!

https://www.powersportsmax.com/index...ID/3461/dID/48

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

This link mentions a Roketa/Dongfang 200cc buggy so I looked for parts for a GK-28C-200 just as a whim. Maybe this harness matches yours? Says 150cc but who knows?

https://www.roketapartsdept.com/roke...-28-150-02-32/
Old 02-20-2020, 09:56 AM

I know this is really out of date, but the same thing happened to me with the DF200GKD I bought my son for Christmas 2019. After trying to figure it out for over an hour I thought to try starting it with the brake pedal depressed, and that's what it was. VERY frustrating, but glad that in the end it was an easy fix!
The Following User Says Thank You to Drjetranger For This Useful Post:
itsid (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 10:58 AM

Thanked 4,589 Times in 3,464 Posts

oh it's indeed a security feature then?

Thanks for letting us know

I couldn't for the *blip* of me figure out what that poor chinese fellow meant in the manual stating:
Quote:
Turn the key switch to “ON” position. After the
rider bestrides on the saddles, set the parking
brake plate
, press the staring button with the left
thumb, then the engine should start up.
bestride your saddles okay fair enough.. set parking brake plate?
I thought that meant "remove parking brake"
not "step on the brake pedal"

Also: it does not work if you press the start button with your right index finger! LOL

anyways.. thanks I'll keep that note for future references

'sid
Old 03-26-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjetranger View Post
I know this is really out of date, but the same thing happened to me with the DF200GKD I bought my son for Christmas 2019. After trying to figure it out for over an hour I thought to try starting it with the brake pedal depressed, and that's what it was. VERY frustrating, but glad that in the end it was an easy fix!
Yea that's the first thing I did. I even unscrew the wiring on the back of the front brake fluid pedal and short the 2 little wire together still didn't work.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:30 PM

Since you have the same gokart maybe you can help me? I have a black wire in the front of the go kart under the display with connector at the end but it not connecting to anything. The wire is just hanging. Can you check and let me know what connection that wire is attached to? I post a picture of the wire.Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200326_131939~2.jpg  
Old 03-26-2020, 01:59 PM

I got the electrical lights,dash speedometer, and horn all properly working but still can't get the gokart to start when I turn the ignition switch. When I short the solenoid post on the back engine will start. On the solenoid there is a plug with 2 green yellow and yellow red wires attach to it, I am guessing the wire plug connect all the way to the front ignition switch when turn it would start the engine? I test it out to short the wires but didn't work. So is my solenoid bad and need to be replace or that's normal?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200326_144503.jpg  
Old 03-26-2020, 04:03 PM

Did you try pushing brake pedal while trying to start it?
Old 03-26-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansil View Post
Did you try pushing brake pedal while trying to start it?
Yea I try that many times, even short the wire it still didn't work.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:15 AM

Just an update, I got everything to work now. Sometime you just gotta double check things. I used a volt meter and test out each wires make sure their is power and was able to figure out the issue.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:59 AM

Iíve been at work in Louisiana, sorry. When I get home if you still need pics I can take some and post them.