Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Electric Projects

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 08:34 PM

Default Time to Introduce myself

Hi Guys, It's about time I did my Intro.
Obviously My name is Wayne from Tropical North Queensland, Australia (Cairns to be exact). Beautiful one day, Perfect the next. (So They Say)
Firstly I must thank all that contribute here to making this site probably one of the the best on the net.
I am a retired "Employment Consultant" 73 years of age, who has had a fair amount of Car racing experience in my past but absolutely No involvement in Go Karting...My main interest since retiring has been playing golf...I'm not good at it but I love the game and the companionship it generates....
So What brings me here I hear you ask......
I have been a member of my golf club for the past 20 years...Membership has always included unlimited golf with Electric Buggy supplied...Now The NEW OWNERS of the course have closed it to re develop the area for residential purpose..We the members and locals are fighting against it but this fight will go on for many years...At my age I don't have time to waste, so I have joined another club....This club is much, much cheaper but Golf Buggies are only available for hire at $30.00 per game... I play 4 - 5 days per week. I can not afford that.
This club allows members to provide their own buggy at no cost. ! !

Some time ago I was asked to take an old Mobility Scooter to the local dump...I Didn't ...I stored it in my garage..Just in case. Well I am now in the throws of converting that old Mobility Scooter into a Golf Buggy.....Since March of last year, I have stripped it down to bare metal....added a bit of length and width.. Given it a bit of front suspension and after installing twin 15 inch 800 watt Hub wheel motors (a total failure) I have gone GO KART Style and just completed installing a"Boma" 1800 Watt 48 Volt system to its Disc Braked Live Rear axle...Man it flys !

The project would never have been completed this far without the information I have found on this site to help me along the way...The Videos ... The "How to do it" info is amazing. My Biggest Thanks must go to "Functional Artist" You....My friend are a Star.. Please continue with the Simplicity you use in your presentations.
I am now at the testing stage. My main concern is having a satisfactory "Run Time" to complete a game. On a full charge I need 3 to 4 hours at mainly at walking pace with top speeds no higher than 12 kilometres per hour. Distance around a course is approx 8 Kilometres... I know at the moment it is capable of completing 12 Kilometres.. I am currently using 14.5 inch rear wheels, geared at 6-1 ratio which provides ample torque and more than enough top speed.
Well that just about sums me and my little project up.
I will be giving my buggy its Maiden Voyage on 7th February 2020.

If I can be of any assistance regarding my Build please feel free to ask.
I did mention that my attempted use of the Hub Motors was a disaster...I will gladly expand on that if any one needs to know...That story was a long and expensive exercise, The use of those wheels should be avoided for any project similar to mine.

Thanks again Guys,
Safe Karting & Good Luck to all
Wayne
Cairns Australia.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie Wayne For This Useful Post:
Functional Artist (01-18-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 09:55 PM
The great cornholio

Thanked 1,053 Times in 744 Posts

Welcome, I know there are a lot of guys here that know a lot about electric motors, batteries, and speed controls. I’m not one of them, I prefer a blend of methanol and nitromethane to power my karts.
Do you have any pics of your project?
Old 01-18-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Wayne View Post
Hi Guys, It's about time I did my Intro.
Obviously My name is Wayne from Tropical North Queensland, Australia (Cairns to be exact). Beautiful one day, Perfect the next. (So They Say)
Firstly I must thank all that contribute here to making this site probably one of the the best on the net.
Some time ago I was asked to take an old Mobility Scooter to the local dump...I Didn't ...I stored it in my garage..Just in case. Well I am now in the throws of converting that old Mobility Scooter into a Golf Buggy.....Since March of last year, I have stripped it down to bare metal....added a bit of length and width.. Given it a bit of front suspension and after installing twin 15 inch 800 watt Hub wheel motors (a total failure) I have gone GO KART Style and just completed installing a"Boma" 1800 Watt 48 Volt system to its Disc Braked Live Rear axle...Man it flys !

The project would never have been completed this far without the information I have found on this site to help me along the way...The Videos ... The "How to do it" info is amazing. My Biggest Thanks must go to "Functional Artist" You....My friend are a Star.. Please continue with the Simplicity you use in your presentations.

Well that just about sums me and my little project up.
I will be giving my buggy its Maiden Voyage on 7th February 2020.

If I can be of any assistance regarding my Build please feel free to ask.
I did mention that my attempted use of the Hub Motors was a disaster...I will gladly expand on that if any one needs to know...That story was a long and expensive exercise, The use of those wheels should be avoided for any project similar to mine.

Thanks again Guys,
Safe Karting & Good Luck to all
Wayne
Cairns Australia.
Kool project.

Wow! Thanks & glad I could help

Yup, please tell us about your Hub Motor adventure

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinhillbilly View Post
Welcome, I know there are a lot of guys here that know a lot about electric motors, batteries, and speed controls. I’m not one of them, I prefer a blend of methanol and nitromethane to power my karts.
Do you have any pics of your project?
Have ya ever tried/rode in an electric powered kart?

I know you probably won't be too thrilled with a kart powered by one of these little motors (~1,000W -2,000W)
...but, I'd bet the torque & RAW power of a 5,000W - 10,000W kart would.

Maybe look into it
...how bad is that "methanol and nitromethane" stuff on us (or) our environment?
Old 01-18-2020, 10:18 AM

Thanked 4,589 Times in 3,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Functional Artist View Post
...how bad is that "methanol and nitromethane" stuff on us (or) our environment?
or worse that battery stuff required to run electric cars/karts
electric is currently NOT more environmentally friendly
not with current electric energy storage technology.

Anyways nice project..
The one thing I wonder... if the new owners closed the golf course..
weren't there some 'now retired' golf carts you can get for cheap?
that might have been the easiest way to get one, no?

Two hub motors? maybe with integrated controllers even..
yeah.. homemade differential speed control is far from being an easy task. can be done however.
with external controllers (two std motor controllers and one DIY differential controller) it'd be easier, still not trivial...

'sid
Old 01-18-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsid View Post
or worse that battery stuff required to run electric cars/karts
electric is currently NOT more environmentally friendly
not with current electric energy storage technology.
'sid
Um...electrics may not be completely "clean"
...but, IMO they are a huge step in the right direction

I understand there is a "carbon footprint" associated with gathering the materials
...transporting those materials
...& even during manufacturing
...but, at least they don't spew "toxins" (the whole time) while in use

IIRC Fossil fuels are used (released into our atmosphere) to gather/collect fossil fuels
...then, fossil fuels are "used" to transport the collected fossil fuels to a refinery
...then, more fossil fuels are "used" to refine the collected fossil fuels into usable fuels
…then, the collected, transported & refined fossil fuels are transported again to the dispensaries (gas stations)
...& finally, the collected, transported, refined & transported again fossil fuels are "toxically" released into our atmosphere
Old 01-18-2020, 07:30 PM
The great cornholio

Thanked 1,053 Times in 744 Posts

Quote:

I understand there is a "carbon footprint" associated with gathering the materials

IIRC Fossil fuels are used (released into our atmosphere) to gather/collect fossil fuels
...then, fossil fuels are "used" to transport the collected fossil fuels to a refinery
...then, more fossil fuels are "used" to refine the collected fossil fuels into usable fuels
…then, the collected, transported & refined fossil fuels are transported again to the dispensaries (gas stations)
...& finally, the collected, transported, refined & transported again fossil fuels are "toxically" released into our atmosphere
Methanol is wood alcohol, so it’s way better for the environment than fossil fuel, or even electric motors.
Nitromethane on the other hand is poison, but it makes a whole lot of power.
I understand internal combustion engines, and as a professional mechanic I have a good understanding of dc electrical systems, but the reality is that go karts are a hobby for me, and I do them the way that I most enjoy, and I believe that you should do them the way that you most enjoy. There is no right or wrong, just different ways of achieving the same end result.
Functional Artist (01-18-2020), LawnCrawler (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinhillbilly View Post
Methanol is wood alcohol, so it’s way better for the environment than fossil fuel, or even electric motors.
Nitromethane on the other hand is poison, but it makes a whole lot of power.
I understand internal combustion engines, and as a professional mechanic I have a good understanding of dc electrical systems, but the reality is that go karts are a hobby for me, and I do them the way that I most enjoy, and I believe that you should do them the way that you most enjoy. There is no right or wrong, just different ways of achieving the same end result.
Oh, H NO
…your a tree killer too

Seriously, have ya ever tried/rode in an electric powered kart?
(if not you gotta try one)

I've rode both types, for many years
…& now, I wouldn't ever even think of goin' back to ICE karts

* It's not really the environmental thing
...or the no pull starting
...or no hot exhaust
...or no noise
(those are just extra bonus's)
...it's really about the power/performance that these things can generate
Old 01-18-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:

Sorry Kevin,
you know I like electric motors, and yes they ARE the future,
but today making the batteries to run them is so catastrophically BAD
that the overall pollution is terribly hard to compete against combustion driven vehicles even for daily drivers..
A single LiPo cell is "worth" a few thousand gallons of burned fossil fuels (depending on voltage and capacitance)
(Making Teslas car batteries create about as much polltion as 8 years of daily driving a gasoline car)
So it's the tenth year or so when you actually start saving the planet..
and since they only last ~ 3 years.... well NO,
JUST NO!
(and tesla has about the best possible [and most environmentally friendly] battery plant there is atm)

hydrogen would be an answer if it weren't that prohibitively dangerous

'sid

PS we're in that stinking uncanny valley these days..
we need to buy batteries in order to speed up improvements on their technology...
so OUR KIDS can save the planet by driving electric,
WE will unlikely see the day where it actually is a planet saving form of propulsion I'm afraid
Functional Artist (01-19-2020), Kartorbust (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 06:52 AM
Aka a kenbar

The future would be better fuel economy with less components. but big companies dont think that way, japan was and still is on the right track with kei cars they are crazy fuel efficient. but no one likes them because they have no power and are not big land boats. Every karen needs their escalade to haul her single child a mile to school and sit on the parking lot for an hour. lol
Old 01-19-2020, 01:02 PM

I'm more a fan of hydrogen fuel cells myself as a huge option for the future, Elon Musk is wrong in that regard.

Anyway, I cannot wait to see what this project will do once its completed. 12km/h really isn't that fast (for us in the US and parts of the UK, its 7.4mph), it's a brisk jog.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:07 PM

hydrogen storage is a real pain however...
considering a few gallons suffice to remove a whole city block from google maps,
Also hydrogen fuel cells are unfortunately way less efficicient than one might think currently

Anyways back to the golf cart at hand.
Yes 12 km/h is surely no record breaking speed
(not even for a human on an 10km track [women ~20.5 km/h, men ~23 km/h] )
but it's more "walking prevention" than "driving experience" anyways.

I think twice the average walking speed is okay
where everything else is essentially
a stroll in a park whacking some stones with an umbrella handle while chatting.
(and thus likely more like half the average walking speed)

'sid
Flyinhillbilly (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 11:48 PM

Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,908 Posts

Welcome to the forum!!! Lets see some pics
Old 01-21-2020, 12:36 AM

Default Thanks for the welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
Welcome to the forum!!! Lets see some pics
My Album
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/album.php?albumid=1335

I'm very new to this ...Did I do that right ?
Old 01-21-2020, 01:12 AM

Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Wayne View Post
My Album
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/album.php?albumid=1335

I'm very new to this ...Did I do that right ?
There. I fixed it for you
Old 01-21-2020, 01:25 AM

YOU'RE DEAD RIGHT , 12KPH is very slow, but Golf is not real quick when you play in a group of oldies who have to walk or ride it for a continuous 8-10 Kilometers over a 4 hour period, most of them with pace makers, Bad backs, Knee and Hip replacements etc ... Now... with my 48 Volt "Boma" 1800 watt live axle drive, I have a very comfortable cruising speed of 18 KPH (when I want it) and my top speed by GPS 37 KPH and still accelerating BUT I wound it back at that.....Hey that's pretty quick for a 73 year old pensioner in a Mobility Scooter ! .....But I know what you are saying ...I'm not really a total Woose, Fifty years ago I would have cracked up laughing too...53 years ago I won "D Class Altered" at the South Australian Drag Racing Championships..(we had a Bitumen start pad and oiled dirt Drag Strip...Those were the Days.
Thanks for your interest
Regards
Aussie Wayne
Cairns
Australia

Thanks for your reply,...
Don't I wish we could have bought the old Club Buggies but they were all sold off with all the other mowers etc. and nothing offered to the members...They still would have been sold at around AU 5-$6,000...We are in a very remote part of Australia and even to bring a second hand one up from Brisbane or Sydney would have Freight cost of around AU $3000.00 That's the price we pay to live in Paradise I Guess.
My cost for the conversion is around $1000.AU...which is around the price of a Walk behind electric golf cart any way. AND THAT'S NOT FUN
The Hub motors I installed originally came with No information at all but were integrated to one main controller...Good in theory....But full of Dramas which I will explain in my next posting.
Thanks again for the help I have had from This site,
Regards
Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
1 Path Rider 10.JPG   2 Stripped.JPG  

4  more work in Progress.JPG   7 Buggy on course.JPG  

8 Buggy at Half Moon Bay Golf Club. Cairns .Qld.jpg  

Last edited by itsid; 01-21-2020 at 10:02 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aussie Wayne For This Useful Post:
Functional Artist (01-21-2020), landuse (01-21-2020)