Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Electric Projects

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-05-2018, 07:18 AM
Functional Artist's Avatar
Functional Artist Functional Artist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 2,232
Thanks: 881
Thanked 836 Times in 661 Posts
Default Boma 60V 2,000W brushless motor

I have been talkin' with Miguel @ Alfa Wheels https://www.ebay.com/str/Alfa-Wheels...p2047675.l2563

I told him we want some more powerful motors.

The 48V 1,000W MY1020 & ZY1020's brushed motors & the Boma 48V 1,800W brushless motors are great
...but "we want more power"

Well. he came thru.

They now have/offer a Boma 60V 2,000W brushless motor
...& matching speed controller for ~$250.00 delivered.


Yes, that's a 60V 2,000W brushless motor & controller for ~$250.00


It lists a 35A current, 51V low voltage cut-off, has the (3) speed selector function & reverse.
The size, base & sprocket all seems pretty comparable to the Boma 48V 1,800W motor.
So, it should be interchangeable/mountable anywhere a MY1020 or Boma motor was mounted.

It comes with that "stupid" 11 tooth sprocket for 8mm chain
...but, they include a 10 tooth "Power Curve" sprocket at no extra charge


* "News Flash" *

Alfa Wheels will now give a 10% discount, on any of their products, to ALL DIYGK members.
He said that he is workin' on a "discount code" for us.
Until then, be sure to get your discount by mentioning that your a DIYGK member.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2843.jpg (241.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2845.jpg (333.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2847.jpg (239.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2849.jpg (298.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2854.jpg (230.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2870.jpg (251.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2874.jpg (223.1 KB, 7 views)
__________________
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Functional Artist For This Useful Post:
KartFab (11-07-2018), landuse (11-05-2018), Panhead5496 (11-15-2018), Quinc (12-18-2018), sikbrik (11-10-2018), SilviaS152002 (11-10-2018)
  #2  
Old 11-05-2018, 09:51 AM
Tpdingo Tpdingo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bellmore, NY
Posts: 903
Thanks: 13
Thanked 258 Times in 217 Posts
Default

I have one word...one very long word....


TOOOOOOOORRRRRQUE!!!

Hehe, those things should be A LOT of fun! Tell us how much TOOOOORRRQUE they put out and what those puppies can do!

And today I learned how to halt productivity and max out a credit card on go kart tires
__________________
Give a wrench long enough and WD-40, and I can remove the world's rusty bolts.
  #3  
Old 11-05-2018, 11:48 AM
p0440 p0440 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks: 19
Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Hello Functional Artist,

I am new and this is my first post, been doing a lot of research as I am building an electric go kart. I am new to go kart and I am not too familiar with electrical as well, so forgive me for any dumb questions. I've read the electric motor guide, watched all the youtube video on electric go kart including your 450w, 1000w and 1800w E Lemon Aid go kart.

I was wondering what kind of improvement are you expecting to see going from 48v 1800w to 60v 2000w?

I was getting ready to get the 48v 1800w eBay kit until i saw this post of yours.

Thanks in advanced.
  #4  
Old 11-05-2018, 08:43 PM
Functional Artist's Avatar
Functional Artist Functional Artist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 2,232
Thanks: 881
Thanked 836 Times in 661 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0440 View Post
Hello Functional Artist,

I am new and this is my first post, been doing a lot of research as I am building an electric go kart. I am new to go kart and I am not too familiar with electrical as well, so forgive me for any dumb questions. I've read the electric motor guide, watched all the youtube video on electric go kart including your 450w, 1000w and 1800w E Lemon Aid go kart.

I was wondering what kind of improvement are you expecting to see going from 48v 1800w to 60v 2000w?

I was getting ready to get the 48v 1800w eBay kit until i saw this post of yours.

Thanks in advanced.
Hello & welcome to the forum.

More speed maybe 30 - 35 MPH
The fastest I've gotten out of the MY1020 48V 1,000W motors is ~25MPH in the Torsk kart.
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38905


If it's your first electric kart I would recommend starting off with one of the 48V motors.
Their plenty powerful & only ~1/2 price of the Boma 60V.

Also keep in mind the batteries that will be needed.

For a 48V system:
(4) 12V 12AH SLA batteries cost ~$100.00 ($25.00 ea.)
Ö& weigh ~40 lbs. (10 lbs. ea.)

For a 60V system:
(5) batteries will cost ~125.00
...& weigh ~50 lbs.
__________________
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
  #5  
Old 11-05-2018, 08:58 PM
p0440 p0440 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks: 19
Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Functional Artist View Post
Hello & welcome to the forum.

More speed maybe 30 - 35 MPH
The fastest I've gotten out of the MY1020 48V 1,000W motors is ~25MPH in the Torsk kart.

If it's your first electric kart I would recommend starting off with one of the 48V motors.
Their plenty powerful & only ~1/2 price of the Boma 60V.

Also keep in mind the batteries that will be needed.

For a 48V system:
(4) 12V 12AH SLA batteries cost ~$100.00 ($25.00 ea.)
…& weigh ~40 lbs. (10 lbs. ea.)

For a 60V system:
(5) batteries will cost ~125.00
...& weigh ~50 lbs.
Thanks for your response. I thought I read that the max speed you've gotten was 15-17 even on the 1800w. but anything around 20mph sounds like fun especially if it has plenty of torque.
  #6  
Old 11-06-2018, 06:48 AM
Functional Artist's Avatar
Functional Artist Functional Artist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 2,232
Thanks: 881
Thanked 836 Times in 661 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0440 View Post
Thanks for your response. I thought I read that the max speed you've gotten was 15-17 even on the 1800w. but anything around 20mph sounds like fun especially if it has plenty of torque.
IIRC
the 15-17 MPH top speed on e-Lemon-aid was because it's geared really low. (8:1) It has a 10 tooth "drive" sprocket (on the motor) & a 80 tooth "driven" sprocket (on the axle).

The !Arriba! kart was quite spunky with just the (1) 48V 1,000W motor



...& pretty radical with (2). It has a 7.2:1 gear ratio. (10T & 72T)



The Torsk kart's 6:1 gear ratio (10T & 60T) is what gets it over 20 MPH.

* These little electric motors have plenty of torque, make a super fun kart & 20 MPH seems quite fast in a go kart running ~6" off of the ground.

** IMO I think it's a more pleasurable experience because you don't have to buy, carry around or mess with gas, there is no dangerous hot exhaust pipe stickin' out the back, there are no fumes (gas or exhaust) & the best part is you don't have to "pull" start it.

Just get in, flip a switch & go have fun.
__________________
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
The Following User Says Thank You to Functional Artist For This Useful Post:
Bmr4Karts (07-02-2019)
  #7  
Old 11-06-2018, 07:37 AM
Tpdingo Tpdingo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bellmore, NY
Posts: 903
Thanks: 13
Thanked 258 Times in 217 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Functional Artist View Post
** IMO I think it's a more pleasurable experience because you don't have to buy, carry around or mess with gas, there is no dangerous hot exhaust pipe stickin' out the back, there are no fumes (gas or exhaust) & the best part is you don't have to "pull" start it.

Just get in, flip a switch & go have fun.
True....

but I can't say the ol' briggs motors smell ain't beautiful in its own rights. Any non-modded Predator and the smell wears off in 30 seconds.

Pullstart? Choke, pull and go! Ain't none of that chargin' thing.

But I would actually like my next kart to be electric. Just being able to cruise anywhere without distracting anyone with the sound of the gardening team whizzing by! How loud do electric karts get anyway,given the motor, wheels, chain and other components have to make at least a little noise?
__________________
Give a wrench long enough and WD-40, and I can remove the world's rusty bolts.
  #8  
Old 11-07-2018, 12:27 AM
p0440 p0440 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks: 19
Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Functional Artist,

Is the gear/sprocket on the ebay motor removable? if so, what's the OD of the shaft? or what bore size replacement sprocket we can get for it?

Thank you
  #9  
Old 11-07-2018, 06:30 AM
Functional Artist's Avatar
Functional Artist Functional Artist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 2,232
Thanks: 881
Thanked 836 Times in 661 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0440 View Post
Functional Artist,

Is the gear/sprocket on the ebay motor removable? if so, what's the OD of the shaft? or what bore size replacement sprocket we can get for it?

Thank you
Yes, the sprockets are/should be removable.

Their torqued on pretty good & reverse threaded, so an impact driver is usually the best tool for the job.

Most of these motors come with a 11t sprocket for the 8mm chain, but who has 8mm chain or axle sprockets?

Alfa Wheels includes (a great idea) a 10t "Power Curve" sprocket for #35 chain, in the box, with many of their motors.

* If interested, here is more info on "Power Curve" sprockets.
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38425
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_8074.jpg (168.7 KB, 3 views)
__________________
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
  #10  
Old 11-07-2018, 11:27 AM
p0440 p0440 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks: 19
Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Functional Artist View Post
Yes, the sprockets are/should be removable.

Their torqued on pretty good & reverse threaded, so an impact driver is usually the best tool for the job.

Most of these motors come with a 11t sprocket for the 8mm chain, but who has 8mm chain or axle sprockets?

Alfa Wheels includes (a great idea) a 10t "Power Curve" sprocket for #35 chain, in the box, with many of their motors.

* If interested, here is more info on "Power Curve" sprockets.
So the only way to find a sprocket which can go on these ebay motors are through oversea sources? nothing from well known vendors like BMI would carry anything that will fit? Maybe i can have a friend custom make some with a lathe.

Do you have any left you can sell me if it will work with my application.

i am planning to get the 48v 1800w, 4500rpm motor, 5" wheels, i weight about 150lb, my goal for now is to get a lot of torque and at the same time not slower than 15mph. (higher top speed is cool too but i don't want to lose the fun of having a super fast acceleration kart)

Thanks again!
  #11  
Old 11-07-2018, 11:42 AM
Jo.qc Jo.qc is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 12
Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Electricscooterparts.com have 8mm chain and sprocket but don't have adaptor to fit it to the axle.


They also sell sprockets that probably fit your motor for #35 and #40 chain. I changed mine on my MY1020 motor for a 10 tooth sprocket for #35 chain https://electricscooterparts.com/sprockets35chain.html

Also got a new nut cause the one that come with the motor was real cheap.https://electricscooterparts.com/sprockethardware.html


I bought a standard weld on sprocket for the axle. It was a lot cheaper
  #12  
Old 11-07-2018, 12:05 PM
p0440 p0440 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks: 19
Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo.qc View Post
Electricscooterparts.com have 8mm chain and sprocket but don't have adaptor to fit it to the axle.


They also sell sprockets that probably fit your motor for #35 and #40 chain. I changed mine on my MY1020 motor for a 10 tooth sprocket for #35 chain https://electricscooterparts.com/sprockets35chain.html

Also got a new nut cause the one that come with the motor was real cheap.https://electricscooterparts.com/sprockethardware.html


I bought a standard weld on sprocket for the axle. It was a lot cheaper
Awesome! thanks!
  #13  
Old 11-08-2018, 07:34 AM
Functional Artist's Avatar
Functional Artist Functional Artist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 2,232
Thanks: 881
Thanked 836 Times in 661 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0440 View Post
So the only way to find a sprocket which can go on these ebay motors are through oversea sources? nothing from well known vendors like BMI would carry anything that will fit? Maybe i can have a friend custom make some with a lathe.

Do you have any left you can sell me if it will work with my application.

i am planning to get the 48v 1800w, 4500rpm motor, 5" wheels, i weight about 150lb, my goal for now is to get a lot of torque and at the same time not slower than 15mph. (higher top speed is cool too but i don't want to lose the fun of having a super fast acceleration kart)

Thanks again!

1.) That was a few years ago.

2.) I sold most of them to Alfa Wheels (they include one in with many of their motors), but other places sell them now too.

3.) A 48V 1,800W motor, & around a ~6:1 - 7:1 gear ratio should do it.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo.qc View Post
Electricscooterparts.com have 8mm chain and sprocket but don't have adaptor to fit it to the axle.


They also sell sprockets that probably fit your motor for #35 and #40 chain. I changed mine on my MY1020 motor for a 10 tooth sprocket for #35 chain https://electricscooterparts.com/sprockets35chain.html

Also got a new nut cause the one that come with the motor was real cheap.https://electricscooterparts.com/sprockethardware.html


I bought a standard weld on sprocket for the axle. It was a lot cheaper
Thanks for the info.

It's usually not a good idea (or recommended) to weld anything to an axle shaft.
It's really hard to get it straight & "true", it's even harder to change your mind (to a different gear) & I believe the heat (from the welding process) weakens the axle too.
__________________
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
  #14  
Old 11-09-2018, 02:56 PM
Functional Artist's Avatar
Functional Artist Functional Artist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 2,232
Thanks: 881
Thanked 836 Times in 661 Posts
Default Speed Controller

The wiring/plugs coming out of the speed controller seem to be labeled pretty well.

I used a diagram from a YK31 speed controller (as an example) to help list the connections.

1.) thick red (+) & thick black (-) = Power/Battery
2.) thick blue, thick yellow, thick green = (power to) Motor
3.) thin red, yellow, green, blue & black = Hall (to Motor)
4.) thin red, orange = Electric Lock (key switch)
5.) thin red (5V), black (GND), green (signal) = Turn The (Throttle)
6.) thin red (+) black (-) (red plug) = Charge (port)
7.) thin orange, white = The Brake
8.) thin white, black = Brake Light
9.) thin orange, black = Indicator Light
10.) thin yellow, black = Astern (for reverse switch)
11.) thin red = Battery Indicator
12.) thin orange, black, blue = 3-speed (switch)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2929.jpg (335.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2932.jpg (312.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2855.jpg (320.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2856.jpg (267.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2858.jpg (273.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2859.jpg (249.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2864.jpg (186.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2866.jpg (221.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2865.jpg (228.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2862.jpg (239.2 KB, 3 views)
__________________
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
  #15  
Old 11-09-2018, 03:46 PM
Jo.qc Jo.qc is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 12
Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Functional Artist View Post
1.)

It's usually not a good idea (or recommended) to weld anything to an axle shaft.
It's really hard to get it straight & "true", it's even harder to change your mind (to a different gear) & I believe the heat (from the welding process) weakens the axle too.
It's not welded to the axle, it's welded to a bushing made for this with a key way bore. It for sure not a good idea to weld on your axle.

Here what it look like

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...

  #16  
Old 11-07-2018, 06:36 AM
S S S S is offline
idiot who has little clue
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 14
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It's wheelie time.
__________________
  #17  
Old 11-10-2018, 03:20 PM
sikbrik sikbrik is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Greater Harrisburg PA area
Posts: 131
Thanks: 64
Thanked 55 Times in 46 Posts
Default

This is very cool...I may try this as a first attempt at our conversion kart.

Now to find 5 suitable batteries. We've easily got room for 2 on each side and 1 behind the seat. Are you folks somehow using 60v chargers or charging all your 12v batteries separately?

Then I just need to find a thread on converting throttle to marry with the existing pedal assembly. I'm getting nervously excited...
  #18  
Old 11-11-2018, 07:34 AM
Functional Artist's Avatar
Functional Artist Functional Artist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 2,232
Thanks: 881
Thanked 836 Times in 661 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikbrik View Post
This is very cool...I may try this as a first attempt at our conversion kart.

Now to find 5 suitable batteries. We've easily got room for 2 on each side and 1 behind the seat. Are you folks somehow using 60v chargers or charging all your 12v batteries separately?

Then I just need to find a thread on converting throttle to marry with the existing pedal assembly. I'm getting nervously excited...
I usually use 12V 12AH SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries & get ~30 - 45 min. run time.

Their size is ~4" x 6", only weigh ~8lbs. ea. & you can find them for ~$25.00 ea.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pack-12V-...9eB:rk:13:pf:0

You can charge them individually with a standard 12V charger or I have seen 60V (e-Bike) battery chargers on eBay for ~$20.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/60V-20AH-El...qJY1:rk:7:pf:0

As far as the connections & throttle integration ideas, check out this thread, it may be helpful

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37442
__________________
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Functional Artist For This Useful Post:
p0440 (11-20-2018), sikbrik (11-11-2018)
  #19  
Old 11-13-2018, 06:41 AM
Functional Artist's Avatar
Functional Artist Functional Artist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 2,232
Thanks: 881
Thanked 836 Times in 661 Posts
Default

Here is a link to the 10% off deal until they get our DIYGK discount set up.
https://www.ebay.com/sme/alfa_wheels...=TargetedOffer

&

Here is a link to the 60V 2,000W Boma motor controller combo
$229.00 - 10% = ~$200.00 shipped

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000W-Watt-...p2056016.l4276
__________________
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Functional Artist For This Useful Post:
p0440 (11-20-2018), sikbrik (11-18-2018)
  #20  
Old 11-14-2018, 07:34 PM
Functional Artist's Avatar
Functional Artist Functional Artist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 2,232
Thanks: 881
Thanked 836 Times in 661 Posts
Default

I took a quick peek inside (for my buddy Sid)

Has a nice little gasket under the end cover

But, ya can't see a whole lot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2935.jpg (152.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2933.jpg (216.7 KB, 3 views)
__________________
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Functional Artist For This Useful Post:
itsid (11-18-2018), landuse (11-15-2018), p0440 (11-20-2018)
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:28 PM.