Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:35 PM

Default HELP! AVC Engaging While trying to Pull Start

I am new to Karting and could use some help. I bought a manco dinco 185 kart at a garage sale for my son. I have spent countless hours reading in forums and research on the internet before looking for help here.

The Kart is all stock with no mods. It has the comet 30 series clutch. While throttling the motor with the wheels off the ground I physically see the pulleys contracting and expanding to change the speed with the motor rpm.

My problem is the clutch seems to be already engaged while trying to start the motor. As I pull the rope the Kart goes forward. I cannot push the cart without it rotating the motor.

I bought the Kart this way. I disassembled the clutch and lubricated the parts. Made sure the belt is facing the proper direction with the arrow facing the motor. The belt is a Comet Industries 994-70 DF 203589. I have run out of ideas.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Kart Aficionado

It is likely that the drive clutch is dirty, I wrote an DIY for cleaning here. Many people lubricate parts of these clutches aiming to help when in fact they are hurting. Finally i'd like to point out that many people have engines idled much higher than engagement rate to keep the engines running when selling karts due to clogged carbs...

How fast do you thing that kart is running? If it appears to be running faster than 2,000 rpm you may need to clean the carb and then attempt to lower rpm speeds in order to have a clutch that is not fully engaged.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Kartless....

Drive pulley puck guide pins probably coming out.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:45 PM

I had the same problem. I cleaned and lubricated the clutch properly, but it still engaged at idle. Then I found out that the engine I bought (Honda GC160) is set from the factory with a minimum idle of about 2000 rpm, and can not be lowered below this. In summary, I have to get a different engine as the clutch engages below this rpm range...
Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 PM

I took the clutch apart and lubricated it well. I checked the drive pins and they were in firm. I could understand the high idle but only after the motor gets running. The clutch is not slipping when I pull the cord and the kart moves forward as i am pulling the rope. I have to lift the wheels off the ground to make pull starting easier. It seems the clutch is engaged the whole time. Any Ideas?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Kart Aficionado

If it moves forward as you pull the rope the drive clutch is engaged and is not in a neutral position, it is possible you have the weight pack on upside down, have run the kart without a belt on and allowed the pack to expand and have not knocked it back into place. It doesn't stay engaged at all times unless something is wrong.