Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:59 PM

Default torque converter disapointment

i recently installed my tav30 on my kart in order to improve the power transfer all around. well i tried it out and the power off the line is amazing and then midway it feels like there little power. At the top end it feels like the engine not even reving up to max rpms. i was wonder if my engine was missing top end power. It's race modified gx160 probally putting out about 9 to 10 hp. so i put a regular comet clutch on and took for a ride. the take off was a bit slow but as soon as it started reving the power came through and the engine was maxing out its rpms (probs around 7000 rpms because i have 26 lbs springs on it). i did not adjust the converter at all i just bolted it on out of the box. is there some adjustment i have to make? can someone shed some light this... im pretty ****ed becuase i spent alot money on this and it made it worse!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 PM

Thanked 1,162 Times in 962 Posts

Hopefully you can adjust something to help it or maybe you just need to re-gear it now.

You mentioned your race motor: I dont know what kinda kart you have but virtually none of the Sprint/Oval kart racers use Torque converters because Centrifugal or Disk race clutches just flat end up being faster on most all tracks.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:45 PM

How does the top end speed compare to the 2 clutches?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:06 PM

well my gear ratio is 11 tooth driven and 61 tooth on the comet clutch set up. i think it's the same with the torque converter. my kart is home built and i don't race it. i just built it boot around and modified the engine to get some more power out of it. i can tell you the mods if you want. i put the torque converter beacuse i go up to my uncle farm and i need some more torque and i didn't want to sacrifice top end. this is to theo, with torque converter i probs can hit about my 50 or 55 km/h but with reg clutch set up i can hit up probs 75 km/h. i have to check foresure with a gps. i thought that the torque converter would allow me to keep top end power and gain torque. the tav30 does have an overdrive at 0.9 to 1 so this doesn't make sense. i need my kart to hit about 75 to 80 km/h an hour with good power low end. thanxs
Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 PM

This is from my notes, I don't know it the driven has 3 holes but the idea is the same with the spring tension. Hope it helps.

More spring tension in the secondary will keep the belt higher up in the clutch, making the engine run at a higher rpm. (like driving in second gear). Decreasing the spring tension will seperate the sides and allow the belt to drop down and give you more top end.
Adjusting the spring tension on the driven pulley changes the rpm range at which the unit shifts into high gear. The three numbered holes on the cam are used to change the spring tension. Hole #1 provides the least tension and allows the unit to shift gears at a lower rpm. This is good for flat ground. Hole #3 provides the most tension and allows the unit to shift gears at a higher rpm. This is good for hilly terrain. Hole #2 is the factory setting providing medium tension good for the most common riding conditions.

You must pre-load the spring when installing it into the driven pulley. After placing the end of the spring in the desired hole and aligning the flat spots in the center of the cam with the flats on the post, just before pushing the cam all the way on to the post, turn the movable sheave clockwise -- tightening the spring -- bringing the buttons past the points of the cam and into the next valley. While holding tension on the spring, push the cam all the way on to the post and secure it with the snap ring. When you release the movable sheave the spring should rotate it counter-clockwise until the plastic buttons press against the cam. The insert buttons must not "float" between the cams.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theo For This Useful Post:
GreyhoundOfYerfDogs (09-23-2010), NapO (08-25-2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Measure twice cut once

the above is correct, play around with your settings and see if it helps
Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 PM

R97, I am nicknaming you the master of "ya what he said."
Old 08-25-2010, 11:30 PM

I had the same problem with my modified GX200 clone kart. I adjusted all I could in the secondary even made a #4 hole in the secondary cam and still didnt get it to work right. Always wanted to suck the belt right up into the secondary and go to full shift bogging the motor down. The proper cure is to take some weight out of the primary pucks, But is tricky to do so properly.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:04 AM
Measure twice cut once

you could get tighter springs or lighter weights, drilling would need to be perfect as not to unbalance the weight that spin at at-least 3600rpm
http://www.bmikarts.com/category/Clu...lts-168/rec/30

edit: good idea redsox, infact i like it so much
l
l
l
\l/
Old 08-30-2010, 03:24 PM

theo i performed the mofication today and now i just got to install the tav back on the kart. however i've got a new problem which is an oil leak. i'll let you know how it turns after i try it.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:28 PM

also who sells stiffer springs for the unit tav 30 unit?bmi only sells the stock ones ....
Old 08-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Measure twice cut once

bmi sells stiffer springs, look like half way down the page, you prob have the heaviest weight and black springs
Old 08-31-2010, 11:55 AM

kk thanxs i just ordered the white ones for 3300 rpm and i adjusted the spring to first whole and it's a little better but the top end is still lacking... i can't get why the engine won't top out the rpm. i just gunna have to wait for the other springs to see if it make a bigger difference
Closed Thread