Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Off Topic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Hopeful for building kart

Default Work Troubles, maybe someone could offer some incite

Okay, so as a summer job, I work at a local concession stand. I get $6/hr under the table. And the tips that are gathered get split amongst the workers.

But this year, they are planning on going on a cruise, and I have noticed everyone but myself was invited. I have worked for this boss for four years, shes taking them, and she is inviting people she has known for less than a year, and those who have worked the same(known longer, I have what could be considered a prime job..gotta know the owner to get it...)

They did this the first year, and my hard earned tips got given to someone who couldnt afford the remaining cost of the trip. I wasnt invited, but I feel that was justified by my only working there for a few months. But the new girl, who is in that position I was, having worked only a few months, is invited.

Is there any way to raise kane in this situation, that is respectful, but gets the point across.

I mean, its getting too much, its all they talk about, and they tend to rub it in my face.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Buggy Almost Done

Id take your boss aside and tell them how you feel about it. You could ask her if there is any specific reason why she didnt invite you. I know its kinda hard to be nice to someone when they left you out but Ive found that people have alot more respect for you when you tell them something in a calm mature way. Hopefully you can work something out.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:21 AM

I was thinking back, and I recall her saying to them "I am thinking of getting another room because such and such is going" maybe that will open up a spot for me.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:53 AM

maybe cause u are paid under the table u are not offically employed there so they dont want u to do buissness activitys
Old 08-02-2010, 05:42 AM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,693 Posts

I'm with MrFrey. Grab the bull by the horns (*gently*) and ask. There may be a very good reason for it like Fowler suggests. Or, your boss may reconsider. Perhaps your boss is just a jerk. That happens, too. But at least you'll know.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler View Post
maybe cause u are paid under the table u are not offically employed there so they dont want u to do buissness activitys
We are all paid the same way.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 AM

thats interesting
well then confrontation is in order
it isnt anything to do with levels
are u a lower level of employment (no offence)
Old 08-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Pro Junk Collector

Dude, i'd tell them to go **** themselves and find a new job. you can easily find better pay elseware. Try construction, there are tons of contractors around here that hire laborers for 10-15/hr. i get about 13/hr working with a contractor, im making a decent amount, its under the table, and im picking up lots of carpentry type skills along the way.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:27 AM

i dont know how old u are or your future life plans
but assuming u are still in school or just out get an apprentaship in what ever u are going to do later in life then u have a head start when u enter the trade
if u cant do an apprentaship cause u are quite smart and going to become an engineer or somting then do somthing u like/pays well and as kapten sasys u learn good skills
Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Krunch View Post
Dude, i'd tell them to go **** themselves and find a new job. you can easily find better pay elseware. Try construction, there are tons of contractors around here that hire laborers for 10-15/hr. i get about 13/hr working with a contractor, im making a decent amount, its under the table, and im picking up lots of carpentry type skills along the way.
That's what I'd do too. Its not right for them to do that to you. Like Kaptain said theres much much better paying and exciting jobs.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:38 PM

****, you can make $2 more an hour picking up dog turds.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Krunch View Post
Hmmm thats surprising, because I know that the DOP regulates the use of power tools. How old are you? I am 15, so that might be a limiter. I do have a knack for carpentry, so that would help I am sure.

I am getting ready to tell them to go f*$@ themselves.... She is even inviting those who nitoriously don't work (They work for a week, then go on vacation, when they come back, they work 1 day on, 6 days off.) She even invited the father, if he would pay their way. But one of her most loyal employee's, is left by the wayside. I would even be willing to foot the bill.

And I didnt even need to confront her: That father, asked her if I was going, and she responded sharply "No". Funny thing is, she said I was always like family to her... lol.. I must be the wrong side of that family (she has a good side, and a scuz bucket side.)

I dont know. I have been tired of this job all year since she hired the new b**ch... All it is, is a headache. I might start a small business snow blowing, mowing lawns, and assorted landscaping...
Old 08-02-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler View Post
thats interesting
well then confrontation is in order
it isnt anything to do with levels
are u a lower level of employment (no offence)
No offence taken. Our boss claims that we all work the same, do the same job, etc. Even though, I do more work than the other nimrod.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Kartless....

Personally, I wouldn't try to lose a job right now.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:08 PM

If you're only 15, maybe she just assumes that you're too young to come along by yourself? How old are the other people that were invited?

That being said, it's a summer job. Get over it. You'd be better off getting a "real" job at minimum wage and not working under the table. After taxes, it would pretty much be a wash. And you'd be able to establish a legitmate work history and maybe get pay raises over time.

Or, your landscaping job is a good idea. Get yourself established in your own business doing something you like. You'll never get rich or be happy working for someone else. If you ever want to be your own boss, now is the time to do it.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_McCormic View Post
Personally, I wouldn't try to lose a job right now.
I have enough saved up to last me a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
If you're only 15, maybe she just assumes that you're too young to come along by yourself? How old are the other people that were invited?

That being said, it's a summer job. Get over it. You'd be better off getting a "real" job at minimum wage and not working under the table. After taxes, it would pretty much be a wash. And you'd be able to establish a legitmate work history and maybe get pay raises over time.

Or, your landscaping job is a good idea. Get yourself established in your own business doing something you like. You'll never get rich or be happy working for someone else. If you ever want to be your own boss, now is the time to do it.
I am the same age as the rest. A year older than one, same age as one, a year younger than couple, but median age is 15.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:31 PM
the names 'mater

Slowly become "stressed out from work" and then instead of work harder work slower and when they ask wth be like working my a$$ off constantly without any reward other then pay is taking its toll on me... if that dont work Tell her to eat a$$ holes and quit and see how well what ever they are doing goes without you there...
Old 08-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakboy View Post
Tell her to eat a$$ holes
Freak, dude, anybody ever tell you that you got a way with words?
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 08-02-2010, 10:04 PM

Hahaha! Freak! I'd ask her about going and if she does say that she will pay your way, say that you'd take a monetary compensation in leiu of the cruise, get your money and quit. F*** 2 weeks notice, you are a cash employee. Come by every day and visit to see how they're doing without your work ethic.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Pro Junk Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexibel_kampfe View Post
Hmmm thats surprising, because I know that the DOP regulates the use of power tools. How old are you? I am 15, so that might be a limiter. I do have a knack for carpentry, so that would help I am sure.

I am getting ready to tell them to go f*$@ themselves.... She is even inviting those who nitoriously don't work (They work for a week, then go on vacation, when they come back, they work 1 day on, 6 days off.) She even invited the father, if he would pay their way. But one of her most loyal employee's, is left by the wayside. I would even be willing to foot the bill.

And I didnt even need to confront her: That father, asked her if I was going, and she responded sharply "No". Funny thing is, she said I was always like family to her... lol.. I must be the wrong side of that family (she has a good side, and a scuz bucket side.)

I dont know. I have been tired of this job all year since she hired the new b**ch... All it is, is a headache. I might start a small business snow blowing, mowing lawns, and assorted landscaping...
Its under the table, im almost 17. my boss doesnt care, i work hard. i dont know what the laws are, but neither of us follow them haha.

Seriously, confront this ***** and ask her why u werent invited.