Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Off Topic Forum

Notices

View Poll Results : Which of the 3 big American car companies do you support?
Ford 23 50.00%
GM 16 34.78%
Chrysler/Dodge 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 04:49 AM
Unfinished projects king.

Default Ford, GM or Chrysler?

Are you a ford, GM or Chrysler/Dodge man?

I've got tons of Peugeots but if I had to pick out of those it would be Chrysler/Dodge, go the hemi!

Hayden
Old 02-07-2010, 06:55 AM
The Junk Man

Having owned products of all three, new and used, I've had the best overall luck with Fords. Case in point, my F350 crewcab has a little over 500,000 miles on it and it still runs fairly strong - and it's not a diesel.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Suspension? Not a GoKart!

Ford did not need the bailout either.
That tells me something.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Kartless....

"American car companies"??? Chrysler is Italian now, and GM is owned by the Government. Ford is really the only "American" company left.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:35 AM

Ford - Made up of good people(Allan Mullaly said he would work for $1 a yr), they're making great cars, they needed no gov. help, and they're beating the foreign cars in terms of quality (Fusion was motortrend's car of the year). Oh and one last thing, you slow down when you let off the gas, not speed up! lol
Old 02-07-2010, 11:38 AM
the names 'mater

lets see ford never needed bail out money gm stands for government motors now... and dodge is now owned by Fiat......
Old 02-07-2010, 01:17 PM
thinker and tinkerer

had a busted up shadow, fuel pump went out. had terrible luck with ford. only drove the chevy once. so i'd have to say chevy.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:19 PM
the names 'mater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike75925 View Post
had a busted up shadow, fuel pump went out. had terrible luck with ford. only drove the chevy once. so i'd have to say chevy.
that makes alot of sence.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Lord of the noise

I wouldn't buy any of them in a million years, cept maybe a Ford GT
Old 02-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelengineer View Post
I wouldn't buy any of them in a million years, cept maybe a Ford GT
What about that VK you've got? Hehehe

But yeah, I know what you mean. I wouldn't touch a new American car, no way.

On the other hand, I'll happily take anything made in the 50s (nash and edsel excluded) or a valiant 6 pack.

And yes, I know the car companies aren't really american anymore but thier still seen as American. And yeah, ford didn't need the bail out but they did sell Jag and Volvo didn't they? At least Ford were smart and bought companies that were actually worth something (before the economic crisis) where as GM bought crap that wasn't worth anything(because they were unprofitable), Chrysler have made crap cars for way to long, you can't sell something that no one wants, thier demise was inevitable.

Hayden
Old 02-07-2010, 05:25 PM

Sideways and modelengineer,
Just curious as to why you wouldnt buy one. Im not trying to start anything I was just wondering your reasoning. Ford was rated #1 in quality above Honda and Toyota this year. I dont see why an american car is so shameful to have.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
On the other hand, I'll happily take anything made in the 50s (nash and edsel excluded)...
Just curious...why not the Edsel?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Banned

seeings as i go euro for cars. I'd have to go GM for the trucks. i agree gm cars suck
Old 02-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Lord of the noise

Quote:
What about that VK you've got? Heheh
Argh you had to bring that up. That thing is an absolute piece of junk!

Quote:
Just curious as to why you wouldnt buy one
I guess it's probably that pretty much every single person I've ever talked to who's owned a Holden or Ford says that they're bad. OR, they say things like "yeah, I've only had to replace the power steering pump and tie-rods in 100,000k's" or similar, as if that's a good thing. My toyota has just clicked over 100,000k's, not one thing on it has failed. It's still on the original clutch.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJOHC View Post
Just curious as to why you wouldnt buy one. Im not trying to start anything I was just wondering your reasoning. Ford was rated #1 in quality above Honda and Toyota this year. I dont see why an american car is so shameful to have.
In Australia, the only Fords that are any good or worth buying are the Falcon and the Focus, the new falcons are gona be 4 cylinder and front wheel drive and thus, they will be **** to drive. Qualitys pretty bad on them too. I live in a country area so the Focus is out for me, I need good suspension and a car that will last, I also wouldn't be seen dead in one lol. GM is Holden in Australia, the only one worth buying is the Commodore but they haven't updated it for way to long and thier to bland for my liking, most of the Australian population own a Commodore. Qualitys not the best on them either, at least they always will be rear wheel drive and have at least 6 cylinders. All other Holdens are just rebadged daewoos. Chrysler just sell ****boxs that no one wants, they have a crap dealer network too. If you own a huge car (ie Hummer, f350) then you just get laughed at, thier not particularly useful either, a normal ute and a trailer can carry more at a fraction of the cost. The only places where things like f250 make sense is at the mines. Also, in Australia, American cars have a horrible reputation for crap build quality and reliability, no thanks to Chrysler and American cars of the 80s/early 90s. That is one of the reasons why Ford is desperaly trying to be seen as a European company. Holden will always be seen as Australian so they don't have that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ2251 View Post
Just curious...why not the Edsel?
Just don't like the styling of them, I like early to mid 50s styling, the Edsel is more early 60s style. They just don't look right to me I guess? Are you a fan of the Edsel Russ?

Hayden
Old 02-08-2010, 09:15 AM

im usually an european car type of guy (bmw, lamborghini, audi) but for north american trucks i must say FORD! toyota honda and nissan cant make a truck for the life of them! i would never drive a dodge but i wouldnt mind a chevy either
Old 02-08-2010, 09:16 AM
The Junk Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1380 View Post
seeings as i go euro for cars. I'd have to go GM for the trucks. i agree gm cars suck
I don't know about that. I have a 1993 Olds Delta 88 (generic FWD big car) and it's dead nuts reliable - oil changes and brakes. Ugly, somewhat not comfortable, but enough pep to drive in NJ safely and considering it was free, it's a great car.

I even showed it some love last fall.

Before:

After:

Being an "old guy", I've owned and driven many cars from many different manufacturers. They all suck for different reasons, yet they're all great for other reasons. It really depends what is important to you, how you rank features, benefits and costs, and most importantly - how well you take care of it (or how well the previous owners did if it's a used car).

For some, styling is everything. It's important to look "cool". For others, like myself, functionality and durability is the most important thing. Neither is wrong, neither is right, as we all have our own criteria.

Obviously someone wanting to haul 3500lbs or rocks off their property is going to appreciate a Chevy truck moreso than a Honda accord. Someone who wants to be "green" will buy a hybrid or a diesel Jette (50mpg!) instead of aforementioned Chevy truck.

To each their own. What bugs me more than anything about a car is the lack of servicability - for example, if I need to replace a ball joint on my old truck I simply press one out and install a new one. To replace a ball joint on my Crown Victoria, I have to replace the whole a-arm. I understand the need to make "assembles" so dealers can get a car back on the road very quickly, but I don't like having to replace perfectly good parts just to replace one little bad part in the assembly.

Anwyay, I keep vehicles longer than girlfriends/wives. Maybe I should apply my "reliability/durability" criteria to women

The absolute BEST car I have ever owned was a 90 BMW 735L - power everything, comfortable as you can imagine, it cornered very well (even though it's a big car), had pleeeeenty of power from a smooth V12, and the paint was gorgeous - I could shave in the reflection of myself on the body or glass. The mileage was terrible and there were no cupholders - I didn't care.

The only reason why I sold it is I had an opportunity to buy my first house, and I wanted the house more than the fancy show-off car.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:21 PM
expert garbage picker

i'm gonna have to say chevy, mainly because fords have a tendancy to rust out quicker, my '89 has "extra" vents in the floor and won't hold the tailgate, it's only got 150000mi. don't really know about newer ones but the old chevy's last forever
Old 02-08-2010, 02:33 PM
the names 'mater

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_head View Post
i'm gonna have to say chevy, mainly because fords have a tendancy to rust out quicker, my '89 has "extra" vents in the floor and won't hold the tailgate, it's only got 150000mi. don't really know about newer ones but the old chevy's last forever
i dont know about that man my unchle got a chebbie that has been garage kept and driven every once in a while its like a 2004 and the bottoms of his doors are rusted through.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Are you a fan of the Edsel Russ?
Hayden
Absolutely.
Had 2 of them in our family.
I was with my father when he purchased a new '59 Ranger.
Thirteen years later, I bought a '58 Citation.
Best car I've owned to date. Could pass anything but a gas station.
Worst cars I've owned were Oldsmobiles (2).