Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 07-13-2019, 06:38 PM

Default Need advice on front suspension for first design/build

I want to start off by saying that I'm just starting to get into go karts/dune buggies and that I'm not entirely sure on the vernacular used for certain parts and components. I'm working on designing the front suspension for what will hopefully be a go-kart/buggy hybrid. My question is this, would there be any downside to cantering the swing arms to 45 degrees like in the image below. This isn't something that is necessary but I think it would look cool and might function better as opposed to the arms being perpendicular to the frame. I've been trying to find images online of karts/buggies that have this and haven't been able to so I know that's probably a sign. However, I would like to get someone else opinion before I commit to anything.

http://prntscr.com/oeoyvn
Old 07-13-2019, 07:15 PM

Here’s the picture
Attached Thumbnails
DCA99B10-8A12-46AB-B020-B9FDDC64AC1C.jpeg  
Old 07-13-2019, 10:50 PM

I would suggest you purchase the Chassis Engineering book by Herb Adams. Itll give you a better understanding of how to do your suspension.

For double wish bone (a-arm) suspension, you usually find those to be perpendicular to the frame. Some mini buggies run semi-trailing arm suspension in the rear with independent suspension (using ujoints or cv axles).

Swing arm suspension is generally what is used on race quads, utility quads, quite a few mini buggy kart size, and motor bikes. On the go kart size mini buggies, the engine sits on the swing arm, with the axle under it.

If you are only asking about front suspension, I'd run it normally, not in any odd fashion.

I'd look on Google images at stadium lite buggies, the FL400 Pilot, crosskarts, and other mini buggies. I would also suggest browsing builds on here as well as the Baja SAE forum and minibuggy.net for ideas.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:04 PM

I have always done parallel arms and centered nuckles, you get no bump steer but steering could be light
Old 07-16-2019, 02:43 PM

Here is the fairly-final frame design I have if anyone's interested (holding off on roll bar until I see how much it all weighs). Is there any significant disadvantage to having a single arm for the lower wishbone as opposed to two?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_1.png  
Old 07-16-2019, 05:02 PM

Before you build it you can get get a pretty good idea on how much it'll weigh. What kind of steel are you using for your frame, size and thickness, how many inches or feet will the total be? Then take that information and see how much that tubing will weigh per foot. All this information can be had from a couple google searches. Or if you post the length and thickness of the tubing and I can do the math if you'd like.

Then it's just as simple as adding up how much the engine will weigh, axle, wheels, etc and you can get the approximate weight within a few % because of slight variations in everything. Might be within a few pounds and/or ounces, but it's close enough, it's not like this is NASA or Lockheed-Martin lol.