Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 06:18 AM

Default Need help with vintage kart

Hello All,
My father passed 2 weeks ago and as I was going through all of his things I found my kart that I had won in the early to mid 80s. I had won it from Hardee's Restaurant. I could not believe he still had it all this time. I am looking for some help with it as I am not sure what to do with it now. I have no where to store it and do not have the funds to restore it. I checked the Briggs and Stratton motor and it still has compression and it seems to be just as I left it. My issue is I believe it is a one of one as I can find no information online or anything like it through extensive searching. I did reach out to Hardee's directly they lost all records in a flood that happened in 1999 so they could not give me any details or information. Any help on value or information would be greatly helpful. The picture attached is exactly how I found it.
Attached Thumbnails
20190508_165155 - Copy.jpg  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:21 AM

There were a few variations. You'll need to get the body off so everyone can see the kart itself.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:50 AM
Here 8am-? Mon-Fri

Not a one-of-one kart. Build Break Repeat restored a kart with the same body on it.

Theirs is just missing the rear wing.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:25 AM

Maybe to better answer....

These are not rare karts, however once cleaned up the cosmetic condition could raise the value. Around here these go for $400-$500 in good running order with a frame in good condition, however there is generally some body damage. The ones I have seen usually have a 3.5hp engine. If this has been sitting for 30 years, you can assume new bearing, tires, etc. The engine can probably be revived, but the cost would be determined if it was stored properly. Unless there is something very specific about this particular kart, I would guess you are in the $200-$300 range. At least that's what I'm seeing around north Texas.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

Yeah I know what you're talking about on the local CL.
Some pics of the frame, engine, etc. would help.
It looks like, just maybe looks like the body would clean up pretty well(fingers crossed).
Unless it has hidden damage, is crazed, etc.
Very nice find sir!
BTW bodied go karts can in many cases fetch more value than any old kart, simply because kart bodies aren't that common.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:12 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,140 Posts

Condolences on your loss, but kudos to your dad for keeping it. I think it’s great when our family and relatives horde things away for posterity.

More photos please, especially if it’s basically in unmolested condition.

Pull it out and dust it off. I am not a firm and hard believer in restoration, I prefer repairing. Besides, there’s value in “barn find” condition these days.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:55 PM

Hellion, I absolutely agree!
There's too much concours style restorations on the market!
I believe in preservation, not restoration.
Ya just shouldn't erase a kart's history!
For example, I could make my kart super nice, but it's basically been beat to pieces all it's life, so I'm just gonna keep it goin'!
Old 05-21-2019, 05:34 PM

Dont just wipe the dirt off , it will scratch it, use water and wash like a car (use low pressure water)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bansil For This Useful Post:
Hellion (05-22-2019), Joe-405 (05-24-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 05:41 PM

Or just drive it fast so the dirt will blow off.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:51 PM

Default More pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthompson224 View Post
There were a few variations. You'll need to get the body off so everyone can see the kart itself.
First thank you all for your help. I am posting more pictures with the body off and the motor. Please let me know what you all think. Any addition help you can provide with awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
20190521_102038.jpg   20190521_102005.jpg  

20190521_101958.jpg   20190521_102032.jpg  

20190521_101951.jpg  
Old 05-22-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.@SMS View Post
Not a one-of-one kart. Build Break Repeat restored a kart with the same body on it.

Theirs is just missing the rear wing.
The under frame may or may not be the same but the body is where I think the money is. And why I think it is a one of one. The body I believe was done for Hardee's and for this contest. Unfortunate that their corporate office had a flood in 1999 and destroyed the records from this time period.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Condolences on your loss, but kudos to your dad for keeping it. I think it’s great when our family and relatives horde things away for posterity.

More photos please, especially if it’s basically in unmolested condition.

Pull it out and dust it off. I am not a firm and hard believer in restoration, I prefer repairing. Besides, there’s value in “barn find” condition these days.
Thank you so much for your condolences. I hope the pictures I have put up will help. As stated in the post above I believe the frame may be just a normal 80's frame but the fiberglass body is where I think the value and rarity is. But that is just my thought. I do not know for sure so I am turning to you all the experts to tell me. Thank you for any information you can provide.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:51 AM

If you have no where to store it nor funds to get it running, then I guess you're looking to sell.

I think you're right that the rarity in it is that it's a promotional Hardee's fun kart and that's gotta be kinda rare among the other Formula 1-bodied go karts.
Take some photos and go around the local Hardee's and see if you can generate some interest among the employees or restaurant managers.

Looks like a cracked weld on the frame somewhere but just put some chewed bubblegum on it.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:48 AM

Where are you located? I ask because that effects value. I would put it up as a "barn find" and somewhat explain the backstory. Ask around $400. I've been looking for something interesting, and what I've found is the F1 bodies in good shape and complete are around $100-$150 alone. I bet this is in really good shape, so maybe a little more. Hardee's may be rarer than say the Ferrari liveried karts, however it doesn't always mean it's more desirable ($$$). Depending on the motor condition, the kart alone is probably another $100-$150. At least try and get the motor running. Although 3hp isn't the most desirable size, it would be just fine for a kid. And the idea of checking with local Hardee's is a really good idea. It's a neat little kart that needs to be cleaned up and driven, for sure!!
Old 05-23-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthompson224 View Post
Where are you located? I ask because that effects value. I would put it up as a "barn find" and somewhat explain the backstory. Ask around $400. I've been looking for something interesting, and what I've found is the F1 bodies in good shape and complete are around $100-$150 alone. I bet this is in really good shape, so maybe a little more. Hardee's may be rarer than say the Ferrari liveried karts, however it doesn't always mean it's more desirable ($$$). Depending on the motor condition, the kart alone is probably another $100-$150. At least try and get the motor running. Although 3hp isn't the most desirable size, it would be just fine for a kid. And the idea of checking with local Hardee's is a really good idea. It's a neat little kart that needs to be cleaned up and driven, for sure!!
I live in central PA but I have no idea if there is a kart following around here. Do you guys think I would be better off looking for fast food / restaurant collectors? One of my friends suggested looking into that.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggregger View Post
I live in central PA but I have no idea if there is a kart following around here. Do you guys think I would be better off looking for fast food / restaurant collectors? One of my friends suggested looking into that.
Both. List in CL, LetGo, Facebook, OfferUp. Start high, you can always go down or take a lesser offer.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:56 PM

So you all think its worth about $400 to $500 even with the body type and rarity?
Old 05-24-2019, 09:16 PM
Aka a kenbar

Post it for 800$ or negotiable but put up as barnfind all original. Get really detailed pictures and its guaranteed to get lots of offers trust me i sold a budget peice of redneck crap yard kart to 2 texans for 200$ at 10pm in the snow it had 3.5hp and did awesome burnouts.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:55 PM
2018 Buildoff Winner ! 😎😎

Promotional karts are always hit or miss. Doesn’t matter on location. I wouldn’t post it for any less than $500 to start off for sure. If you don’t mind sitting on it I’d start off higher.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe-405 For This Useful Post:
Hellion (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 10:12 PM

I am really liking those wide slick tires with the hard-edge profile. Can you give us a tire size off the sidewalls (or just one if fronts and rears are identical)? A photo would be cool too with brand, size, recommended psi, and number of plys, etc.

I also admire the front drop spindle brackets (or front axle) but that it's also reinforced across the top with that straight piece of tubing. Good design cue there. It's beefy.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
I am really liking those wide slick tires with the hard-edge profile. Can you give us a tire size off the sidewalls (or just one if fronts and rears are identical)? A photo would be cool too with brand, size, recommended psi, and number of plys, etc.

I also admire the front drop spindle brackets (or front axle) but that it's also reinforced across the top with that straight piece of tubing. Good design cue there. It's beefy.
I would be happy to get the pictures you want. I will not be back to get the pictures until Tuesday but I will definitely do that for you. As far as price goes. I think I am going to look into the restaurant / fast food collectibles market and see whats there as well just in case I missed something in all my research.
Closed Thread