Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > More Builds

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 11:19 AM

Thanked 1,777 Times in 1,467 Posts
Default Hi-lift jack plate....

Hey guys...
Now Im not an off roader kinda guy, might be cool one day, but ive got other hobbies im into at the moment... But none the less As with all vehicle ownership changing a tire is a thing that has to be planned for, or at least prepped for....
I hate getting under the vehicle, obviously its necessary for some things... but I seen a few things to make my life easier...
This isnt a big truck, Its a 92 Nissan D21 pickup... Its a mini truck....
This one is also just the 2WD.. but its low enough that it does get a bit uncomfortable.....

A couple of months ago I saw a cool looking base plate for a Hi-lift style Farm jack from Safejack.... It had cables and QD pins for ease of use and deployment...
I had watched a few vids on the plate and was really impressed on the item...
Upon looking this up, they wanted about $350 to get that here in Canada, and none here sold it as far as I could see...
So I built my own....
( These are pics from the web, not mine)

So now you got the idea of what it is...I went a got a farm jack from the Princess, a 60" for $110.... Now not a Hi-lift brand.... but itll do....
Went and bought the base material and had some scrap from work...
Bought a QD pin, a couple of snap pins, cable and the end ferrules.... managed to have some free time the otherday at work and finished off most of the pad.....
Tested her out yesterday, lifted up the rear end of the truck good....
All the recovery gear I built/bought for less than $300..
An axle strap with hooks for the front tires, a hitch mount shackle for the rear end, chocks...

It all stows compact behind the passenger seat, and Ill i have to do is build a securement for the jack itself in the bed... itll be done...

I also finished my console armrest for the interior(wasnt too sure if I had shown it off yet here)... holds my papers and other stuff more secure that the crappy glove box.... plus it has a cup holder... which it didnt before....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190309_123605.jpg   IMG_20190309_123613.jpg  

IMG_20190309_123634.jpg   IMG_20190309_124401.jpg  

IMG_20190202_134603.jpg  
Old 03-13-2019, 09:28 AM

No bites.... Would have thought someone have said something...
Well just saying hey this works for me...
Old 03-13-2019, 01:09 PM
Senor Member

Those farm jacks always worry me. A few years ago, my grandfather bought one from Harbor Freight. He told me if I could take a look at it because it wasn't working right. I tried and tried to fix it, but it was JUNK! The castings were terrible, and no way of fixing it. I never returned it to him for fear he would still try to use it. Makes a good tarp weight tho.

I'm sure name brand ones are safer, and even safer with that added plate, but still worrisome.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:13 PM

Very good points... The real intent was to buy a genuine hi-lift brand jack a bit later on... But did some looking on the use and safety do's/dont's... I'm confident this will last a bit, while I'm working on getting a new one...
Old 03-13-2019, 07:35 PM
The REAL Poboy

Well, this is quite coincidental, as I need a farm jack to level and raise some low to the ground sheds.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:50 PM

Ahh yes...If you want the specs on what I built or better/closer pics... just let me know... give you all I have..
On a few sites.. seen them use this farm jack, and with this stabilizer plate...