Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 11-14-2018, 10:07 PM
Inmate #952016

Guy came into the shop. Said he was having tranny issues. He had a leak and only had water. So he topped off the trans with good ole H2O.

That was a fun rebuild.
Panhead5496 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 01:37 AM

Thanked 3,401 Times in 2,770 Posts

I had a boss once that decided that the car needed some more water in the radiator....so he opens the oil cap and pours in a bunch of water He realised what he was doing a minute after he started, so he left the car where it was for the mechanic to come tow away. Fortunately he didn't drive it at all
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Panhead5496 (11-15-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 12:14 AM

Well this thread has been dead since I last visited! Got busy with school and then went out of town for Thanksgiving and kept forgetting to get back on here

What is everybody up to??
Old 12-03-2018, 04:05 AM

Last week we had a departmental conference at a game reserve close to me. Saw lots of rhino, elephant, giraffe etc. It was pretty cool
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Panhead5496 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 06:38 AM

Last Friday helped a tech at work start to pull the bed off of a 2018 Ram 2500HD to put on a 5th wheel. It was a last second addon from a sales person. He spent over half the day just adding cab/clearance lights. One thing is for sure, they really do not make adding accessories easy.

On top of that, our boss wants me to learn all the accessory addons, in case one of the techs is swamped, they can be added one. However if I decide to move to commission based, I can get royally reamed over. No one has put a book time in for accessories, so it could take me a good 8 hours to add a couple items and only get paid for 2 hours. So I'll be riding the hourly pay train as long as possible and milk the limited over time as well.

Other than that, been getting snowed on a bit here. Doesn't seem to stick around long. But, Lincoln seems to really be lacking in the snow plowing department...or they just really suck at their jobs here.

So cannot wait until Christmas, get a 4 day weekend.
Panhead5496 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
Last week we had a departmental conference at a game reserve close to me. Saw lots of rhino, elephant, giraffe etc. It was pretty cool
That is awesome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartorbust View Post
Last Friday helped a tech at work start to pull the bed off of a 2018 Ram 2500HD to put on a 5th wheel. It was a last second addon from a sales person. He spent over half the day just adding cab/clearance lights. One thing is for sure, they really do not make adding accessories easy.

On top of that, our boss wants me to learn all the accessory addons, in case one of the techs is swamped, they can be added one. However if I decide to move to commission based, I can get royally reamed over. No one has put a book time in for accessories, so it could take me a good 8 hours to add a couple items and only get paid for 2 hours. So I'll be riding the hourly pay train as long as possible and milk the limited over time as well.

Other than that, been getting snowed on a bit here. Doesn't seem to stick around long. But, Lincoln seems to really be lacking in the snow plowing department...or they just really suck at their jobs here.

So cannot wait until Christmas, get a 4 day weekend.
Crazy! I bet that was a heck of a lot of work to add the 5th wheel thing. You have to weld it to the frame or what?

I don't envy the weather where you live...it was 71 degree and sunny the last few days here. I washed my car in shorts over the weekend

Speaking of car washing, has anyone ever "clay barred" a car? I started to do mine after a good wash/detail and man oh man, does it make a difference! I had seen on several FB groups the benefits of doing it but never tried myself. Got a $20 kit from ChemicalGuys with a BlackFriday coupon and it makes the car shine like a mirror. Only bad part is it takes forever to do lol.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:22 PM
Canned Monster

I hit a deer with my car. Totaled the car and the deer out. At least it was a 2 for 1 deal. Luckily I had another car on deck waiting to replace that one.

Denny
Old 12-03-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496 View Post
That is awesome!!!

Crazy! I bet that was a heck of a lot of work to add the 5th wheel thing. You have to weld it to the frame or what?

I don't envy the weather where you live...it was 71 degree and sunny the last few days here. I washed my car in shorts over the weekend

Speaking of car washing, has anyone ever "clay barred" a car? I started to do mine after a good wash/detail and man oh man, does it make a difference! I had seen on several FB groups the benefits of doing it but never tried myself. Got a $20 kit from ChemicalGuys with a BlackFriday coupon and it makes the car shine like a mirror. Only bad part is it takes forever to do lol.
So what we added was the prep kit. Pull the bed off, because there is no way to drill the holes in the bed, unless doing it from inside the bed with it still being on the truck. After the bed was off, we bolted the hitch ball plate to the truck frame. 4 studs with nuts, torqued to 225ft/lbs. Wasn't fun because with it being a 6.7L Cummins, the exhaust is routed next to where the nuts go. So unfortunately, you cannot get to those with an impact gun, extension and wobble, so did it by hand. The frame was already setup for that, so it was just drop and tighten up.

On the left and right side of the frame, 2 tie downs were bolted to the frame, again already had the holes in the frame to begin with. 90ft/lbs of torque on those 4 nuts and bolts.

Now the real fun part is using the 4" he saw for the ball receiver in the bed. We measured the dang spot several times, according to the instructions. Unfortunately it was off by 1/4"... so that meant the other 2 holes for the trailer safety chain tie anchors would be off in the bed.

When we took the bed off (well my co-workers, I stood back) our supervisor ended up giving poor directions and they ended scraping the bed into the cab of the truck, towards the bottom, going down to bare metal. He took no fault, even though he did have his hands on it when it happened. He had our body guy touch it up with a filler/paint, never looked like it got scraped.

Anyway after struggling getting the bed back on (major crap show), we saw that the driver side tie down hole ended up being too far toward the cab by 1/2". Meaning the plastic covers that sit in those holes while not in use would not line up or slide in properly. So we had to use a die grinder and spent a good hour grinding and filing that hole to make the cover fit. Still there was a gap toward the front with that cap and cover on. Hopefully Linex was able to obscure that mess up.

The only reason we had to do it was, the truck is brand new, has been on the lot for 6 months and the customer got a great deal. Next time we have to do this, it's going to the body shop, or a welding/fabrication shop. They could have just ordered a truck new from the factory with the cab clearance lights and the 5th wheel/gooseneck prep package already done. Its literally $500 I believe to be ordered. The way they had us do it, was well over $1500 in parts and labor.

The saying is true, measure twice cut once and you're still off.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I hit a deer with my car. Totaled the car and the deer out. At least it was a 2 for 1 deal. Luckily I had another car on deck waiting to replace that one.

Denny
Were you able to keep the deer? Some places allow you to do it, at the cost of a deer hunting tag or free. Let times the police usually have it processed for homeless shelters. One thing is for sure, venison is good eating!
Panhead5496 (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post

Denny
Oh no!!!! That sucks. Did you at least get to take the deer home and make some jerky?
Old 12-04-2018, 07:18 PM

Kartorbust, WOW that sounds like an ordeal! Pretty crazy the work that went into that...it was an upsell right, so how much did the customer have to pay for it installed?

Denny, that is terrible. Is insurance going to cover it ok? I know it's totaled but will you be able to get something else? Was it an older car that didn't have a high value or a really bad accident? Glad you are ok.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496 View Post
Kartorbust, WOW that sounds like an ordeal! Pretty crazy the work that went into that...it was an upsell right, so how much did the customer have to pay for it installed?

Denny, that is terrible. Is insurance going to cover it ok? I know it's totaled but will you be able to get something else? Was it an older car that didn't have a high value or a really bad accident? Glad you are ok.
No idea how much they are paying. Put it this way, there is no set book time to install any accories to vehicles. No idea how much they agreed to pay for it. What I do know is, the tech who I was helping install it will most definitely be getting the short end of the stick on it. For the cab light install, I know it was over 3 hours and the hitch was another 3. So for just the labor if he was getting paid by that (unfortunately he's commission) at $17 an hour, the customer would pay $102 for labor.

To put it another way, they are not paying enough for the labor for it to be installed. Upside is, last week I helped install aftermarket wide fenders on a 2018 JL Wrangler and MOPAR bumper guard, the customer didn't care how much it would cost, so if I had to guess, he'll be paying for all 8 hours it took us to install the fenders and bumper. Supposedly the customer is a rich rancher in the western part of the state.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:18 PM
The REAL Poboy

[QUOTE=Kartorbust;512283] Wasn't fun because the exhaust is routed next to where the nuts go. f[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

That's never a good thing.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:40 PM

Yeah, ended up needing to use a box open wrench to do it. Wasn't a ratcheting type either, so it took way longer than it needed too.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:35 PM

We had a huge storm nearly 2 weeks ago now, and my ADSL at home has decided to stop working since then. You don't realise how much you depend on internet until it is gone

Using my mobile data on my phone is killing my budget :|
Old 12-06-2018, 04:54 AM
Jup, picture = me

Quote:
We had a huge storm nearly 2 weeks ago now, and my ADSL at home has decided to stop working since then. You don't realise how much you depend on internet until it is gone

Eish...😂

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:

Modem stopped working or just your internet provider? Either way that sucks.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartorbust View Post
Modem stopped working or just your internet provider? Either way that sucks.
Service provider. They say that some cables got damaged and they have no idea how long it's going to take to repair
Old 12-06-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Service provider. They say that some cables got damaged and they have no idea how long it's going to take to repair
Been there before. Hopefully they'll figure something out, maybe give all the customers a discount on the next bill as a nice gesture...might be wishful thinking.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:30 AM
G'me sumthin to write on

I can relate. We have had intermittent phone service for the entire 19 years we've been in our house. I've always attributed it to 2 things: a) we live on a dead end, and b) the overgrowth of trees on the street is stressing the lines. Finally about 9 months ago after a branch took down the line completely, a tech came out. His solution, which is still there today, was to graft in a new wire, and then leave said wire on the ground, lying on my driveway, under my gate and up to the junction box on the side of the house. Do you think I still have intermittent service? Yes. Yes I do. Multiple calls regarding this have been ignored.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Here 8am-? Mon-Fri

I don't think that living on a dead end is a factor. I live on the very end of a road, and the only time that my internet goes out is when the powers out, or our well house gets hit by lightning.