Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 06-16-2019, 10:42 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,140 Posts

I have been looking into an accurate high quality/high velocity air rifle on and off for a year or two. I don't want a multi-pump or CO2 cartridge requirement, just one single swing of the break-barrel action.

I also desire over 1,000 FPS; seems more than a few are in the neighborhood of 1,300.

Anyone have recommendations?

I don't have any firearms. I lost them all years ago in an unfortunate boating accident.
Panhead5496 (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 04:53 PM

I have this one: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Black...fle_Combo/3483

It's one heck of an airgun. Really heavy, so not a great woods walking gun. What do you want to use it for?

They seem to have updated it since I got it and it now includes iron sights; can't speak on those, but know the sight it comes with is pretty bad. Get a nice airgun rated scope and it shoots very well!

As far as FPS, that's a very big hot topic in the airgun world. Lots of the so called 1300fps guns are over rated and don't shoot that high.

I guess it mostly depends on what you want it for...this is great target shooter but really too heavy and awkward to carry around.

What is your budget?

You definitely want a gas piston gun...spring guns with a lot of power aren't nearly as good as a gas piston!

Here is probably the best website for airguns out there: https://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_gun...air_rifles/372

There is a whole page you can look through with all kinds of choices and prices
The Following User Says Thank You to Panhead5496 For This Useful Post:
Hellion (06-17-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 10:34 PM

Hellion, here is an excellent deal on a Gamo airgun: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...rrel-air-rifle

I just ordered one and it was $112 total using a $5 off coupon that Honey found for me (using Google Chrome).

Can not beat that price for a break barrel, piston powered airgun! Sale ends soon so get one while they are on sale.

Reviews say the scope isn't good, but the money you save you can use to buy a better one.

I hope someone else buys one!!
Old 09-02-2019, 10:15 AM
same as it ever was

I have a gamo .22 that has worked well for me, except for the scope. I've been through two scopes that failed. The third scope is still doing OK -- so far Gamo/Daisy has been good about sending replacement optics without issue.
The rifle itself is great! But think twice before getting one without sights on the barrel for backup.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:08 AM
Jup, picture = me

Got a .22 GAMO BigCat 1250 myself.... it works as well on rodents as it does on birds... accurate upto at least 80yds
Old 09-02-2019, 11:57 AM

Thanked 1,777 Times in 1,467 Posts

The usual cause for scope failure on an airgun, Specifically a spring gun, is that the scope isnt made to be fire on a forward recoil gun....Ie a spring powered gun(like a break barrel/underlever or the like...)
Old 09-02-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-gar View Post
I have a gamo .22 that has worked well for me, except for the scope. I've been through two scopes that failed. The third scope is still doing OK -- so far Gamo/Daisy has been good about sending replacement optics without issue.
The rifle itself is great! But think twice before getting one without sights on the barrel for backup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
The usual cause for scope failure on an airgun, Specifically a spring gun, is that the scope isnt made to be fire on a forward recoil gun....Ie a spring powered gun(like a break barrel/underlever or the like...)
You'd think airgun manufacturers would be fitting airgun rated scopes to their airguns, but that may not always be the case.

Perhaps try an aftermarket airgun scope (not a super cheapo either) and see how it performs.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:41 PM

Thanked 1,777 Times in 1,467 Posts

You would think... But typically they're just a cheap regular scope.. and they didnt care much for the length of life for the use of it...