Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:30 PM

Default Need help/advice on plexiglass roll cage windshield!

Hello, since fall/winter is coming and some days it gets a bit too cold to drive around where I'm at, I've been wanting to add a windshield to my go kart but I'm not too sure if I should make it out of plexiglass (which I've heard it shatters easily) or If I could get some kind of see through plastic. Recently I've been thinking about the plastic idea instead of plexiglass so that it wouldn't shatter easily or I wouldn't get hurt. Also if anyone knows of some kind of material or plastic to put on it please send links or some kind of name to look it up by. Anyone have any idea's, suggestions, or examples I could see, please post it down below!

Edit: Also I'm interested now in finding something like a snow cab used on golf carts to cover the entire roll cage.
Attached Thumbnails
kkk.jpg  
Old 09-11-2017, 08:44 PM

Plexiglass is plastic. It's also what they use for windshields on 300 mph funny cars.

Oh...forgot to mention, it's also the material used on 3,000 mph fighter jets.

I think you'll be ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to George Norlans For This Useful Post:
OzFab (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 09:33 PM

Plexiglass is just acrylic. It shatters easily.

Lexan (brand name) is polycarbonate. It's more expensive, but far better for a windshield.

Aircraft windows and fighter jets canopies (fighter jets don't go 3000 mph, btw) are typically formed from a very exotic specialized acrylic on older aircraft (not your run of the mill home Depot plexiglass) or polycarbonate on newer aircraft.

The fastest fighter in the US arsenal is the F-15 strike eagle, which is capable of just shy of 1900mph.

The fastest "fighter jet" built was the Mig-25, which topped out at 2150mph. They built it as an attempt to intercept the SR-71 blackbird recon plane.

The blackbird flew over 2200 mph. Its windows were made from 2" thick quartz ceramic glass. Not plexiglass.
The Following User Says Thank You to anickode For This Useful Post:
George Norlans (09-12-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 09:33 PM

Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,465 Posts

Plexiglas is an acrylic....
Lexan is a polycarbonate... It's also bullet resistant....
Both are a plastic....

Having use to work in plastics manufacturing....
I'd say go with lexan... It costs more but it's worth it...
Old 09-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Banned

So if he uses Lexan dose this mean we can call it a bullet proof go kart
Old 09-11-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNSleder View Post
So if he uses Lexan dose this mean we can call it a bullet proof go kart
Only if it's 1" thick laminated .

I hate it when people say lexan is bullet resistant, like you can go grab a sheet from home Depot and you magically have a bulletproof shield.

Everything is bullet resistant if it's thick enough. Even air will stop a bullet eventually.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anickode For This Useful Post:
mckutzy (09-12-2017), MTNSleder (09-11-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anickode View Post
Plexiglass is just acrylic. It shatters easily.

Lexan (brand name) is polycarbonate. It's more expensive, but far better for a windshield.

Aircraft windows and fighter jets canopies (fighter jets don't go 3000 mph, btw) are typically formed from a very exotic specialized acrylic on older aircraft (not your run of the mill home Depot plexiglass) or polycarbonate on newer aircraft.

The fastest fighter in the US arsenal is the F-15 strike eagle, which is capable of just shy of 1900mph.

The fastest "fighter jet" built was the Mig-25, which topped out at 2150mph. They built it as an attempt to intercept the SR-71 blackbird recon plane.

The blackbird flew over 2200 mph. Its windows were made from 2" thick quartz ceramic glass. Not plexiglass.
All true. I was thinking twice the speed of sound, but for some reason I doubled that. DOH! Plexiglass isn't that bad for a low speed windshield unlikely to have anything hit it anyway. But yeah, Lexan is more shatter resistant.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:09 AM

Look for one of those soft clear plastic (maybe vinyl??) Covers for snowblower and modify it.

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 AM ----------

Like this....https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...kaAmfaEALw_wcB

---------- Post added at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM ----------

They also make similar "cabins" for golf carts. Something you can remove for the warmer weather. ....http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/class...ductextensions
Old 09-12-2017, 07:34 AM

A golf cart style windshield might be nice too... Hinged in the middle so it can drop down
Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 AM

Why not some bodywork as well?
Old 09-12-2017, 11:36 AM

I guess my question is why do you want to windshield? If it's to keep mud from splashing on you, you need to install a wiper as well, otherwise you won't end up being able to see anything. The helmet visor is easy to reach up and wipe off with your hand. A windshield, not so much.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anickode View Post
I guess my question is why do you want to windshield? If it's to keep mud from splashing on you, you need to install a wiper as well, otherwise. you won't end up being able to see anything. The helmet visor is easy to reach up and wipe off with your hand. A windshield, not so much.
There is some mud where I ride but I guess the main reason is a couple of things. 1. I want to ride in the winter so a windshield could block the wind. 2. I have a lot of branches always hitting me (which the roll cage does a good job keeping away) but I'd like something even better cause they still get inside of the cage and hit me. Also along with the windshield, I was thinking about getting some black mesh tarp and tacking it onto the sides for a door, as well of pretty much just wrapping the rest of the roll cage with mesh too so I can cover the engine cause a lot of grass and junk gets into the engine. I could use velcro for the mesh doors and the cover on the engine so that accessibility wouldn't be too big of a problem. I'm just coming up with a lot of silly ideas, but I really want a covered roll cage or at least just a windshield

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldstoneDriveKarts View Post
Look for one of those soft clear plastic (maybe vinyl??) Covers for snowblower and modify it.

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 AM ----------

Like this....https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...kaAmfaEALw_wcB

---------- Post added at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM ----------

They also make similar "cabins" for golf carts. Something you can remove for the warmer weather. ....http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/class...ductextensions
I really like this idea, but should I try to find a big golf cart cab that'll fit the roll cage or try to find material like that and make my own? There's a lot of ideas and things I could use and I'm still trying to decide how I should make this.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAIM View Post
There is some mud where I ride but I guess the main reason is a couple of things. 1. I want to ride in the winter so a windshield could block the wind. 2. I have a lot of branches always hitting me (which the roll cage does a good job keeping away) but I'd like something even better cause they still get inside of the cage and hit me. Also along with the windshield, I was thinking about getting some black mesh tarp and tacking it onto the sides for a door, as well of pretty much just wrapping the rest of the roll cage with mesh too so I can cover the engine cause a lot of grass and junk gets into the engine. I could use velcro for the mesh doors and the cover on the engine so that accessibility wouldn't be too big of a problem. I'm just coming up with a lot of silly ideas, but I really want a covered roll cage or at least just a windshield

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

I really like this idea, but should I try to find a big golf cart cab that'll fit the roll cage or try to find material like that and make my own? There's a lot of ideas and things I could use and I'm still trying to decide how I should make this.
If you're trying to block branches, a golf cart tarp probably isn't going to hold up well. Plus you'll have to worry about exhaust pooling inside if it's all zipped up.

My recommendation is to use a piece of polycarbonate for the windshield. Cut it to shape and carefully drill holes every 4" along the edges. Use zip ties to secure it.

For winter riding, I recommend a coat and some mittens.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:19 PM

I would use expansed steel mesh myself.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:14 AM
G'me sumthin to write on

Thanked 1,007 Times in 808 Posts

Be sure and get the mittens with the string that goes up through your sleeves so you don't lose them.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:57 PM

I've used Lexan for windows in some drag cars. They use to have a better grade called Marguard. More expensive, but it doesn't weather like regular Lexan. Much better!
Old 09-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,003 Times in 716 Posts

Look at motorcycle windshields.
Closed Thread