Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Using Tools and Welding

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:59 PM
shake this's Avatar
shake this shake this is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 182
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default wanting to learn

Wanting to learn how to mig and thinking about getting the Lincoln 140 amp, looking for pros and cons or anything else I might need to consider.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_256722-1703-...ncoln%2Bwelder
  #2  
Old 02-09-2011, 05:33 PM
oscaryu1 oscaryu1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,767
Thanks: 6
Thanked 148 Times in 60 Posts
Default

bad link
  #3  
Old 02-09-2011, 06:08 PM
devino246's Avatar
devino246 devino246 is offline
Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 3,856
Thanks: 270
Thanked 283 Times in 244 Posts
Default

Heres a working link:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_256722-1703-...3FNtt%3Dwelder

Thats a good welder. Runs on 120v, 20% duty cycle, welds up to 5/16". You'll also need to get a [real] welding helmet and some welding gloves.
__________________
ASE Certified
  #4  
Old 02-09-2011, 07:27 PM
redsox985's Avatar
redsox985 redsox985 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 4,092
Thanks: 57
Thanked 208 Times in 187 Posts
Default

Auto darkening mask on sale from HF is like $40 and is a dream. It's so much easier than a handheld shield. Are you going to set it up for MIG or fluxcore? I would really suggest MIG because the welds are much cleaner and there is nearly no smoke. Plus, with MIG, you can weld aluminum or stainless, they just need different gases. Miller has some basic welding tutorials on their site as I'm sure are on YouTube, too.
  #5  
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 PM
shake this's Avatar
shake this shake this is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 182
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Im going to set it up fir mig and the first thing I was going to replace was the helmet
  #6  
Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 PM
oscaryu1 oscaryu1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,767
Thanks: 6
Thanked 148 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Seeing as you're starting out, I'd just go with a HF 140a MIG.
  #7  
Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 AM
bighead's Avatar
bighead bighead is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest USA
Posts: 4,022
Thanks: 158
Thanked 312 Times in 278 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscaryu1 View Post
Seeing as you're starting out, I'd just go with a HF 140a MIG.
If he has the funds for a Lincoln why do you recomend a HF?
  #8  
Old 02-10-2011, 07:13 AM
shake this's Avatar
shake this shake this is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 182
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I thought about the HF but considering I don't know how to work on a welder or modify one to work better, I thought it to be a better financial investment if I pick up a better quality welder. The last thing I want to do is spend the money on a machine (even as little as a couple of hundred dollars) just to get discouraged and give up. I have a tendency to be a perfectionist, even to a point that my expectations exceed my abilities. I’ve been told by many people that learning on higher quality equipment will produce better results. Not that anything is wrong with the HF brand but I’ve been told that it has a tendency to have some quarks not associated with the more mainstream brands.

If I decide that welding isn’t the thing for me, I’ll have a much easier time selling a brand name welder locally then the HF brand. I believe I’ll be able to recoup most if not all if my initial investment if I wait for the model I want to go on sale.
  #9  
Old 02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
devino246's Avatar
devino246 devino246 is offline
Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 3,856
Thanks: 270
Thanked 283 Times in 244 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shake this View Post
I believe I’ll be able to recoup most if not all if my initial investment if I wait for the model I want to go on sale.
I dont think I've every seen Lowe's or any other major retailer put a welder like that on sale. Lowe's runs alot of spend $250, save $50 coupons though.
__________________
ASE Certified
  #10  
Old 02-10-2011, 01:50 PM
The Mechtician's Avatar
The Mechtician The Mechtician is offline
Gargamel Jr.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Surrey, BC, Canada
Posts: 183
Thanks: 1
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

That Lincoln is a nice rig, but in my personal experience Miller machines make better welds. You'd be looking at an additional $300 for the equivalent size Miller machine, but it has the new auto-set feature and is just generally more awesome Check out the miller website: Miller 140 AutoSet
  #11  
Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 PM
devino246's Avatar
devino246 devino246 is offline
Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 3,856
Thanks: 270
Thanked 283 Times in 244 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mechtician View Post
That Lincoln is a nice rig, but in my personal experience Miller machines make better welds. You'd be looking at an additional $300 for the equivalent size Miller machine, but it has the new auto-set feature and is just generally more awesome Check out the miller website: Miller 140 AutoSet
I dont see how one name brand welder can make significantly better welds than another name brand, regardless of the operator. IMHO, the autoset feature is completely unnecessary. I dont know about Lincolns, but my Century(which was made by LE) has a chart under the wirefeed cover that suggests wire & power settings for specific material thicknesses. Ive found it to be fairly dependable.
__________________
ASE Certified
  #12  
Old 02-10-2011, 02:33 PM
pmichelsen's Avatar
pmichelsen pmichelsen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

My dad picked one of those up last year to use on small projects when doesn't want to roll out one of the big guys. He seems to really like it for the smaller projects, I haven't used it yet but I am planning a trip to my parents house at the end of the month maybe I will take it for a test drive.
  #13  
Old 02-10-2011, 02:44 PM
shake this's Avatar
shake this shake this is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 182
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I looked at the miller and it has some awesome features but not for an extra $300.00. I figure if I can’t read a chart and get pretty close to the correct setting then I have no point in welding to begin with. The one I’m really starting to like is the little Hobart Handler 140. It runs about $500.00 at Tractor Supply Company.

Devino-I'm sure your right about finding one on sale but it's possible I could find a factory refurbished or open box buy.
  #14  
Old 02-10-2011, 03:07 PM
devino246's Avatar
devino246 devino246 is offline
Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 3,856
Thanks: 270
Thanked 283 Times in 244 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shake this View Post
I figure if I canít read a chart and get pretty close to the correct setting then I have no point in welding to begin with.
__________________
ASE Certified
  #15  
Old 02-10-2011, 03:33 PM
The Mechtician's Avatar
The Mechtician The Mechtician is offline
Gargamel Jr.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Surrey, BC, Canada
Posts: 183
Thanks: 1
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devino246 View Post
I dont see how one name brand welder can make significantly better welds than another name brand, regardless of the operator.
I've only ever used two Lincoln machines, and they both produced different looking welds than any other machine I've used. Not better or worse, but definitely different, and not as aesthetically pleasing to me, personally. They almost looked like super clean stick welds. Maybe it has to do with their "patented diamond core" technology? We still have a small Lincoln machine somewhere in the dungeon here @ work, I'll dust it off and run a few comparison beads.
  #16  
Old 02-10-2011, 04:20 PM
devino246's Avatar
devino246 devino246 is offline
Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 3,856
Thanks: 270
Thanked 283 Times in 244 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mechtician View Post
I've only ever used two Lincoln machines, and they both produced different looking welds than any other machine I've used. Not better or worse, but definitely different, and not as aesthetically pleasing to me, personally. They almost looked like super clean stick welds. Maybe it has to do with their "patented diamond core" technology? We still have a small Lincoln machine somewhere in the dungeon here @ work, I'll dust it off and run a few comparison beads.
What is "diamond core technology"?? Perhaps the settings were different/wrong. And just remember, the better looking weld is not always the better one.
__________________
ASE Certified
  #17  
Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 PM
The Mechtician's Avatar
The Mechtician The Mechtician is offline
Gargamel Jr.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Surrey, BC, Canada
Posts: 183
Thanks: 1
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devino246 View Post
What is "diamond core technology"?? Perhaps the settings were different/wrong.
Lol I was wondering that myself! Sounds like a marketing term. I'm heading over to the batcave to dust off the machine & take some pics
  #18  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:05 PM
r97's Avatar
r97 r97 is offline
Measure twice cut once
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 3,793
Thanks: 39
Thanked 250 Times in 229 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmichelsen View Post
My dad picked one of those up last year to use on small projects when doesn't want to roll out one of the big guys. He seems to really like it for the smaller projects, I haven't used it yet but I am planning a trip to my parents house at the end of the month maybe I will take it for a test drive.
the little projects! i would be pumped for a welder rated for 5/16" steel! here i am trying to weld 1/4" with my welder rated for 1/8".

shakethis, get the lincoln or the hobart!
  #19  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM
firekiller52's Avatar
firekiller52 firekiller52 is offline
Flat Head Kinda Guy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nj
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

great setup, and i actually prefer it to a similar miller, i use both once in a while, but i LOVE my lincon
  #20  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:21 PM
firekiller52's Avatar
firekiller52 firekiller52 is offline
Flat Head Kinda Guy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nj
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r97 View Post
the little projects! i would be pumped for a welder rated for 5/16" steel! here i am trying to weld 1/4" with my welder rated for 1/8".

shakethis, get the lincoln or the hobart!
ahh just flip it over and weld the other side too
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:02 PM.