Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Electric Projects

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:34 PM

Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,692 Posts
Default Electric Project Proposal (Challenge)

Howdy, y'all! (See, I am a Northern Redneck!

Anyhow, I've cooked a few braincells on the whole flywheel detonation thing. Some believe it, some don't. Doesn't really matter. Why? Other parts can fail. We all know (I hope) that it's a bad idea to free-rev an engine. But sometimes spit happens. Like a throttle sticking, throwing a chain, clutch failure, noobs riding your toys, whatever.

What I'm getting at here, is that I would very much like to see an electronic rev-limiter that can be applied to any one of our single-cylinder engines. It could be fixed to 5 or 6k RPM, or perhaps adjustable.

I know very well that there's a few of you around here that have a good understanding of electronic and IC circuitry. Surely one or more of you are capable of devising a basic electronic circuit capable of this. I don't know enough, but the concept seems clear:

Since the coil pulses once per revolution, all the circuit has to do is count pulses over time. If that count tries to exceed a predetermined number over a set time, the circuit grounds out the coil, disabling the spark until the RPM drop below that specified number.

This is not to debate whether it's necessary- This is to see if someone here can pull it off... Any takers? Kibble? Russ? Anybody else here know their way around a PCB?

Think about it- a little piece of mind for some, and they'd sell like frigging hotcakes to all the panic-prone masses!!!
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 01-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Official DIYGK Chem Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by toystory_4wd View Post
Howdy, y'all! (See, I am a Northern Redneck!
I take offense. I say yall. This is a redneck:
Attached Thumbnails
38087630002_large.jpg   united-states-redneck-special-forces.jpg  

Old 01-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Official DIYGK Chem Nerd

Now that Im done with that... Wouldnt grounding the coil & cutting the spark cause an excess of fuel to accumulate in the combustion chamber?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:53 PM

Probably. And when the ignition cuts back in, it'll burn off. Try kitting your kill at WOT, then turning back on before the engine comes to a stop.

And I'm PROUD to be a Northern Redneck!!!

Come to think of it, it'll just blow out the exhaust.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:55 PM
Official DIYGK Chem Nerd

Quote:
Probably. And when the ignition cuts back in, it'll burn off. Try kitting your kill at WOT, then turning back on before the engine comes to a stop.

And I'm PROUD to be a Northern Redneck!!!
Actually, thats true.

Once again, yall does not equal redneck. Cherrybomb=redneck.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:57 PM

What're y'all sayin' 'bout my Cherry Bomb?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Official DIYGK Chem Nerd

Quote:
What're y'all sayin' 'bout my Cherry Bomb?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 PM
I banned myself

Old 01-31-2011, 07:10 PM

Excellent! Thank you!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 PM
I banned myself

Oh, you mean you actually thought I was gonna try to do this? Nah, I was just trying to be funny.

JK wit ya Yes, I'll give it a shot. I actually started getting some ideas as you were describing the requirements.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:23 PM

great idea!!!! i cant wait to see what happens!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:25 PM

Terrific- I know a bit about electronics, not a lot. But from what I do know, I think it could be pretty simple. I'd just like a "failsafe" mechanism...
Old 01-31-2011, 07:38 PM
I banned myself

Well, here's what I'm thinking about so far:

Have a wire, something a bit stiff, that you can wrap around the wire between the coil and the plug; this will be the pickup wire. Have that wire go into an OP amp that will sense the voltage difference between a preset voltage point and the voltage generated when the coil fires. The preset point will be adjustable so that there can be some control over the sensitivity of the pickup wire. The output of the OP amp will be driven into a microcontroller that will count the pulses from the OP amp and compare them against a preset amount. What will be used to compare the limit is yet to be determined. I'm thinking a set of dip switches that you can set to any value within the allowed range.

I'm thinking of even including a set of numeric LED's that will display the RPM value. The hardware aspect shouldn't be too difficult. Programming the IC will be the hardest part, although I don't think it should be extremely daunting.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 PM

Kibble, you ARE my hero. Seriously.
Okay- but my point is, you definately understand what I'm driving at, and from where I stand, you look like you can pull it off. I've been thinking about this concept for quite some time. I'd love to see it materialize.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 PM

You lost me at "have a wire"
Old 02-01-2011, 12:53 AM

bahahaha @ ^^^^^, nar this will be awesome will love to see it wen its done
Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Unfinished projects king.

Adapt an after market car tacho to your engine in the way that has been shown on destructibles (or maybe it was another site?) and wire it so the shift light trips a relay that acts as a kill switch (ie, grounds the spark) and have a normal kill switch wired in parallel with it.

Of course, you'd need a charging coil or a battery that you are willing to charge all the time.

Thanks

Hayden
Old 02-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Adapt an after market car tacho to your engine in the way that has been shown on destructibles (or maybe it was another site?) and wire it so the shift light trips a relay that acts as a kill switch (ie, grounds the spark) and have a normal kill switch wired in parallel with it.

Of course, you'd need a charging coil or a battery that you are willing to charge all the time.

Thanks

Hayden
could you find that site were it shows you how to do it please?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post

Thanks

Hayden
I had exactly that thought, too- But I would like to see a nice, compact module that could ultimately be mass produced.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:07 PM
I banned myself

Good news! I was just playing around with the input part of the circuit and it works! Obviously you can't see it working in the pic, but the yellow wire is wrapped around the plug wire and the voltage induced when it fires is high enough to be amplified by the OP amp. I have an LED on the breadboard that lights up when the coil fires. I tested it out just a few minutes ago and it works great!

I need to test it out with an engine I can bring to my workbench so I can use my scope on it to make sure the pulses coming from the chip are wide enough and if not, then adjust resistor values accordingly.