Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 07-12-2019, 06:31 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWes View Post
My apologies sir. I was in a bad way yesterday.

Perhaps I should drop out of this discussion and let someone else pick up in my place....
Well, everybody hates it when they give out bona-fide, true and factual advice and it isn't heeded but you can always, on the flip side of the coin, laugh at all the idiocy. I do.

And them rip 'em a new arsehole. All in good fun of course.

P.S. Can we please change the title of this thread to WillMatrix's Super Duper Fix-It-All Thread...or something?
BigWes (07-12-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Well, everybody hates it when they give out bona-fide, true and factual advice and it isn't heeded but you can always, on the flip side of the coin, laugh at all the idiocy. I do.

And them rip 'em a new arsehole. All in good fun of course.

P.S. Can we please change the title of this thread to WillMatrix's Super Duper Fix-It-All Thread...or something?
Hold up sir I never once got mad at you or big wes honesty. I love the **** out it. Iím trying to build a solid cart and you guys have what it takes to help me and by the way
Attached Thumbnails
D5CF985F-2E80-4DD1-8219-78E04E5791E4.jpg   image.jpg  

Old 07-15-2019, 05:34 PM

None of this would be here if it wasn’t for the truth
Old 07-15-2019, 06:31 PM
Banned

All right... interesting stage 1 kit. Not sure who's it is but it ain't gonna install itself and the go-kart fairies ain't gonna do it either...so get off that couch and get busy!
Old 07-17-2019, 09:39 AM

How do I mount my air filter? The carburetor stud is too short.

I have a non hemi predator 212cc
Old 07-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMatrix View Post
How do I mount my air filter? The carburetor stud is too short.

I have a non hemi predator 212cc
Did your kit come with the two long bolts shown in the picture?

If so I would assume your particular kit was designed to be installed using those bolts. I am not familiar with that particular kit however.

The studs aren't hard to remove though. You can just put two nuts on the stud and snug them down. Then put your wrench on the inner nut and loosen it like you would any normal bolt. After you get the studs out install your stack properly with your carb gaskets spacers and air filter mount. If everything is right it should run great. After you fight with the bolts and all the parts you'll understand why the factory used studs. Of course you could try finding longer studs or use a long screwdriver to hold your parts in place while you get your bolt lined up on the other side.

Good luck
Old 07-17-2019, 07:02 PM

Aftermarket filter is installed, but, what do I put in that port of the valve cover? And what do I do with the tubing from top of gas tank?

Everything is on but now when I take my choke off the engine dies
Old 07-18-2019, 09:48 AM
Senor Member

There are small filters available for the tank and valve covers. They connect to the standard intake for emission reasons. If you're resourceful enough, you can make your own, they just need to breathe, so don't cap them off.

If your engine dies when choke is off, then it is in need of more fuel. Did you install the bigger jet?
Old 07-18-2019, 10:33 AM
Banned

To add to what the above poster said...if you engine dies you may have improperly installed one or more of your carb gaskets. They must be in the right order. Also the insulator must be installed for the stock carb to work properly. Your jet must have been swapped to the bigger jet and the tube must also be in place above the jet. All this has to be right and and no dirt in the bowl when it went back together. Also note there is a proper orientation to install the bowl as well. You should have marked it prior to removal. If it's reasonably close you'll be good. It basically allows good float clearance.

So go back and check your gaskets. Pay attention to the one with the hole and the air passage and its alignment. I'm at work right now and don't have access to one to take pics.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

As for the tube from the top of the tank you can get a fuel tank filter for a weed eater and put on it if you want.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Here is a filter example, you can buy these almost anywhere. Just get the size for your line

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...:1,prmr:1,cs:1

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

You can actually get those to fit your crankcase vent as well but you might have to source it from a small engine shop.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
There are small filters available for the tank and valve covers. They connect to the standard intake for emission reasons. If you're resourceful enough, you can make your own, they just need to breathe, so don't cap them off.

If your engine dies when choke is off, then it is in need of more fuel. Did you install the bigger jet?
Yes I installed the bigger jet.

Big Wes I’m going to look at the gaskets in a sec. the problem is I don’t really know the order the gaskets should be in. And do I need a filter for the valve cover hole? (It use to connect to the old filter)

What is the insulator for the stock carb?
Old 07-18-2019, 12:36 PM

Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,465 Posts

It is a black phenolic plastic piece, that holds the fuel tube and keeps the ignition wire separated..
It right next to the head after a gasket...

And the valve cover breather tube can have a small fuel filter..... just secure it down so it dont come loose...its loosely press fit in the cover...

The tank doesnt really need a filter, as the tanks usuall have a check valve, so ingress is very small..
Old 07-18-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
It is a black phenolic plastic piece, that holds the fuel tube and keeps the ignition wire separated..
It right next to the head after a gasket...

And the valve cover breather tube can have a small fuel filter..... just secure it down so it dont come loose...its loosely press fit in the cover...

The tank doesnt really need a filter, as the tanks usuall have a check valve, so ingress is very small..
I think I know the piece your talking about. It originally came with that carb? It black and has two slots on the top for hoses. Iím going to show the gaskets and if you can tell me how it suppose to be that will be great
Old 07-18-2019, 02:22 PM
Banned

Yes, still at work... won't be home until late. Sorry Will. There are videos on the net that can show you the proper sequence to install your stuff. If it isn't correct you will have problems.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

I don't always use a filter on my fuel tanks but I do on my crankcase vent lines. It's big enough for water intrusion so that is a concern.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:46 AM

Ok I’m going to put a order in for filters tomorrow, what else do I need to complete this stage 1?
BTW I have to clean out my gas tank smh
Old 07-19-2019, 08:11 AM
Banned

Pretty common with fuel tanks, you got it used right? This is what will happen to a fuel tank from normal unleaded pump fuel with ethanol. You should have seen the trash I cleaned out of the tank on my f150 when I had to drop the tank to change the fuel pump. It was awful. Luckily most cars and trucks are set up with good fuel filters. But it won't get it all. And it doesn't take much especially on a small carb with one tiny little jet.

So where did you buy that stage 1 kit from?

I'm asking because from the pictures it looks like an eBay variety.

I usually don't go about recommending a certain dealer for parts and stuff because I'm not a fanboy of any manufacturer and I tend to spread my money around. But I have to admit from my experience so far as far as ease of installation and quality dude I think until I see something better gopowersports has the best bolt on stage 1 kit right now at least for noobs and it's complete and their website links to decent enough videos on installs if you can put up with the silliness of the owners video skills.

It was way late when I got home last night. I've been having some issues at home so I have put all my projects aside for at least temporarily. The fridge went out too and I've been eating from a big ice chest for the last week. Not a happy guy right now. Not to mention my two good running karts were outside uncovered and got stormed on yesterday. I wasn't happy about that either.

Your carb issue is actually easy. It's just a sequence thing. I'll see if I can find you a good video at lunchtime.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:02 AM
Banned

So did you ever get your kart going?

I've had a lot of things going on at home so everything has been on the back burner for me.

Thought I would check in.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
So did you ever get your kart going?

I've had a lot of things going on at home so everything has been on the back burner for me.

Thought I would check in.
It wonít crank. It backfires and thatís it. The spark plug is firing but the engine just wonít start.

If a new head was put on the engine would you need to adjust the valves? I ask because the head was replaced on the engine because the carb stud broke off. After a head swap what is normally done after that
Old 07-26-2019, 12:39 PM
Banned

Yea, you gotta set the lash when it's cold, I can't remember right off what it is for the predator 212 but most of these things are between .003 and .005 so if you get it in that range it should crank and run. I hate that you are having such a hard time with that thing. I think you can Google the correct valve lash settings and might even find a YouTube video.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Yea, you gotta set the lash when it's cold, I can't remember right off what it is for the predator 212 but most of these things are between .003 and .005 so if you get it in that range it should crank and run. I hate that you are having such a hard time with that thing. I think you can Google the correct valve lash settings and might even find a YouTube video.

Yeah this thing is putting a damper on my spirit. Iím trying to stay positive and hopeful but hopefully I get it running soon. I will try that and let you know the results
Old 07-29-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Hey BigWes I canít get this thing going. Will it be a stretch to mail it to you? Lol or maybe a video conference