Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Using Tools and Welding

Notices

Old 07-09-2019, 06:37 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,034 Posts

HOORAY for IMPACT GUNS!

You can get consistent air pressure at the tool if your compressor and gauges are up to spec.

Now of course all powered tools degrade over time (both pneumatic and electric) and you fancy-schmancy electric impact wrench fan boys will be saddened to hear your electric tool is choochin less and less as it ages. The electric motors just wear out--the motor brushes go kaput, bearings and bushings start to get rough. Most of these cordless drills and impact guns are Chinesium and basically disposable.

I don't use mine for tightening. I use my hands (no finer tool in the world) and a torque wrench. Those guys that can tighten to spec via "ugga dugga" alone are god-level unicorns.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:08 PM

We did that just to see what it actually would go to. Something else I think is interesting about the new Matco guns is that they have no brake, so they will just twist around on you! I'm personally not a fan, my snap on has a brake, but I know of a few guys that have had to have a snap on brake fixed. The tool guy tells me the Matco doesn't have a brake in order to save the brushes on the motor , because the brake is actually reversing the motor .

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Not a fanboy! I still use my Ingersoll stuff daily but some days I get tired of hearing the compressor all day. It's right beside my bay!
The Following User Says Thank You to Piddler For This Useful Post:
Hellion (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:13 PM

Our air compressor got too hot today and stopped working. So we couldn't lower vehicles, use our oil guns, air blow guns, impacts, etc. Fortunately, us technicians we all have battery impacts now (1/4" and 1/2"). Just a nice reason to have them.

I think I saw the Matco impact in my catalog from a couple weeks ago...was a bit rich for my wallet (I refuse to open an account with the tool truck), but it looked nice. Hope it'll break rusted bolts out of a vehicle...had to take out a 5th wheel setup out of a trade in truck a few months back. Needed a breaker bar and 4 foot cheater bar to break them all loose.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:38 AM

Pretty hard to beat the ole cheater bar on cost and effectiveness
Old 07-10-2019, 08:54 PM

Ain't that the truth? Until you snap a Mac Tools breaker bar socket head clean off...thankfully it wasn't mine, me that did it, and it had a lifetime warranty.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:57 AM
kayde's tinker toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piddler View Post
Pretty hard to beat the ole cheater bar on cost and effectiveness
Im certainly a cheater bar fan when that lil' bit of extra is needed.

Ive kept a bicycle seat post in my box for years, most have a reduced diameter on one end so one end fits a 3/8" drive ratchet and a 1/2" drive fits in the other end.

Crapsman ratchets have a squareish handle so a lite hammer smash too each end of the post will flatten out the round a little then they fit perfectly.

Seat posts arent really long but the bit of extra length really helps alot sometimes and its not so much that your breaking ratchets all the time.

Its saved my butt a few times over the years.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:58 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

Cheater bars certainly work, but ya can't beat an impact for getting those frozen hub nuts off!
When I was still struggling with my drive wheel, it was impossible to get the hub nuts off with a ratchet or breaker bar.
When I put an impact on it, though, the nuts zipped right off.
Nice.