Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 07-08-2019, 02:18 PM

Default Trailmaster Mini XRX

New here, we bought my son a trailmaster mini xrx about 5 years ago. He rode it for about a year(he was young and scared) and it went into the shop once. I really wish I could remember what they fixed but I donít. Then it ran for about another year and stopped again. We moved states and the neighbor of my father-in-law stayed he could fix it. So we let him hold it for about 2 years(dumb on my part). Anyways, he stated it was the carburetor and he couldnít find the part for it blah blah. We moved back to my home state and brought it with us. Which he gave it back to me with piece in a BOX!! So I decided to start off with what he stated it was and I ordered a new carburetor for it and an insulator block since that was broken which both were easy to find btw. The choke cable it broke at the dashboard so I have to replace that. Anyways, putting a little gas in the carburetor I can get it to start up and stay running for a few minutes. But the moment I get in and push the throttle down it wonít accelerate or accelerate a little and then it dies. I really donít know where to even start since I am BRAND new and this mechanic thing. Thatís more of my dads thing. So any advice would be appreciated. Also, I did adjust the air flow spring? If thatís what it is called. I turned it clockwise until it stopped and did two full counterclockwise turns which is what I read online that was the factory setting.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:27 PM

Check fuel lines and filters. Did you put in new gas? Did it have old gas in it?
Old 07-08-2019, 04:59 PM

Drop the carb bowl and look for junk in there. If you used the same fuel lines and old tank, you probably need to pull everything off and clean them out well. Use brake cleaner. It is cheaper and burns your skin less than carb cleaner.
The Following User Says Thank You to txluke For This Useful Post:
Bjackson (07-14-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Currently flathead-crazed

Check for missing or bad gaskets/seals between the cylinder head and the carburetor that could cause a vacuum leak.
Bjackson (07-14-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 10:00 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,140 Posts

Pictures of the carb please, and the "air flow spring" you adjusted.

Could be anything. I agree with Txluke. You could've contaminated your new carb with dirt, sediment or stale, watery gas from the tank (or all three).

I do dislike armchair troubleshooting.
JTSpeedDemon (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthompson224 View Post
Check fuel lines and filters. Did you put in new gas? Did it have old gas in it?
It did have old gas in it. We drained it and put new gas in it.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by txluke View Post
Drop the carb bowl and look for junk in there. If you used the same fuel lines and old tank, you probably need to pull everything off and clean them out well. Use brake cleaner. It is cheaper and burns your skin less than carb cleaner.
Alright I will try that this afternoon.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:05 AM

While you have everything apart, blow through the line, and if possible, make sure you get flow out of the tank. Also, put a filter and shutoff inline as soon as possible.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txluke View Post
This was the carb bowl. Pretty clean.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-10-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjackson View Post
Also, I did adjust the air flow spring? If that’s what it is called. I turned it clockwise until it stopped and did two full counterclockwise turns which is what I read online that was the factory setting.
Ok, the good news is it runs, so spark and compression are not an issue. Sounds like it idles, sort of. You either have a fuel flow issue, or a carb issue. If you are saying you are getting good flow to the carb (just take off the line and see if it runs), then it's the carb. Play with the mixture screw some, 1/2 turn at a time. I had a completely different unit that I could not get to start. moved the mixture and it fired right up. No idea what you have, but start at 1 turn out, give it a 2-3 tries. If not luck, back it off another 1/2 turn. At some point it may sputter to life and you can adjust for a smoother idle. After that we can talk about high speed adjustments, if it has it.
The Following User Says Thank You to bthompson224 For This Useful Post:
Bjackson (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 05:22 PM

Alright so funny story I actually ended up breaking the carburetor trying to tighten the bowl back on way too tight. I ended up purchasing a new one even with new gaskets and with an air filter and fuel filter. While I had everything taken apart I blew in the lines and they were clear. Put everything on and back together and then it wouldn’t start. Checked the spark plug and it was completely black. Ugh. Just replaced the spark plug with a new one and it still won’t start now. I’m stuck!!
Old 07-14-2019, 06:03 PM

Just for future reference:

Clean off the plug with a wire brush or even a toothbrush and gasoline and your all set, when the engine burns fuel better it will burn off the carbon itself.

Hardly ever do you have to get a new plug unless the other one is cracked or broke in some way
Old 07-14-2019, 06:43 PM

I thought about doing that but I was like whatever itís only like $3
Old 07-14-2019, 07:31 PM

At least you now have a spare
The Following User Says Thank You to 950speed For This Useful Post:
Bjackson (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 11:10 PM

Well I’ve been manually starting it because the battery has been dead and I felt like that was the least of my problems. The pull cord broke on me today ��. I just ended up tying a knot in it again and putting it back on. I also gave it a MUCH needed oil change. Anyways, while pulling the choke as far as it would go and pulling the cord it started!!! Happiest moment ever! I let it run for a few minutes and then tried to press the throttle peddle and it died. It started a few more times and died again. Now I can’t get it started again. This mechanical crap is such a love/hate relationship!
Old 07-15-2019, 09:01 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

Check for a vacuum leak. It sounds like you have something wrong, making it act too lean.
Air fuel mixture is incredibly important, and I've spent a long time figuring mine out.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

In short, check for ceacks and bad gaskets between the carb and cylinder head, if everything checks out, you may want to start playing with the mixture screws.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:43 AM

Do a compression test on the engine. You may have stuck rings or a worn/scored cylinder causing low vacuum. If you have low vacuum the fuel won't pull from the carburetor. A wet/dry compression test is best. Do a dry test, record your readings. Pull the spark plug, add a cap full of oil in the cylinder then re-test. Record your readings. If there is a big difference between readings you have an internal engine problem. A big difference would mean more than 10 lbs or so of compression between tests. Have you adjusted the valves? If they aren't closing you'll lose pressure there too. It doesn't sound like a fuel delivery issue at this point.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

If compression checks out okay, throw a used coil on it. You'll have to start guessing cheap now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karttekk For This Useful Post:
Bjackson (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSpeedDemon View Post
Check for a vacuum leak. It sounds like you have something wrong, making it act too lean.
Air fuel mixture is incredibly important, and I've spent a long time figuring mine out.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

In short, check for ceacks and bad gaskets between the carb and cylinder head, if everything checks out, you may want to start playing with the mixture screws.

Iíve replaced all the gaskets between the carburetor and the cylinder. I even replaced the insulator block. The carb is brand new. Shouldnít the factory setting work for the mixture screw?
Old 07-15-2019, 08:28 PM

The mixture screw is for higher speed engine performance; too lean it will run hot, too rich it will smoke, run rough and foul plugs. Your engine won't even accelerate. Start looking beyond the carburetor, standard mixture screw setting is, "Run it in slowly until it bottoms then back out a turn and a half." Try that setting but you've got something else going on. Some carbs don't even have mixture screws, all you can do in that case is raise the float. I would still do a compression test. If you have an internal engine problem no carb is gonna help.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:47 PM

Here is the link to a video of what it is doing. This is as much progress I have made with it. I hope heir helps yíall help me :-)

https://youtu.be/HLodXR0-2SI

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karttekk View Post
Do a compression test on the engine. You may have stuck rings or a worn/scored cylinder causing low vacuum. If you have low vacuum the fuel won't pull from the carburetor. A wet/dry compression test is best. Do a dry test, record your readings. Pull the spark plug, add a cap full of oil in the cylinder then re-test. Record your readings. If there is a big difference between readings you have an internal engine problem. A big difference would mean more than 10 lbs or so of compression between tests. Have you adjusted the valves? If they aren't closing you'll lose pressure there too. It doesn't sound like a fuel delivery issue at this point.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

If compression checks out okay, throw a used coil on it. You'll have to start guessing cheap now.

How would I do a compression test? Remember I am extremely new to all this.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:54 PM

We understand you're new at this, watch this video to get a better understanding of what to do.