Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > All Other Parts

Notices

Old 05-05-2019, 07:34 AM

Default Yerf dog rear tires

Hey all I picked up a yerf dog 3202 and it needs some tires that dont suck. They are 20x10-8 and there are limited choices in that size. I am upgrading to a stage 1 predator without the governor so power shouldn't be a problem. Would you guys suggest moving up or down sizes? It's mostly a trail rider but some speed wouldn't hurt.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:36 PM
broke mechanic

Go to tractor supply they have the terf tires and otherones
Old 05-05-2019, 06:03 PM

I would stick with the current size or drop down to an 18" rear tire. Carlisle makes an excellent turf tire. Tractor Supply, Northern Toolhave a small selection of tires. Upside to going smaller would be that the kart doesn't have to work so hard to get moving, but you'll lose top speed.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:38 PM

I'm not looking for turf tires. I have turf tires.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:03 PM

Are you opposed to adjusting your gear ratio to a bit deeper for a bit taller tire if you have room? These are 22x11x8 ATV tires. They will be more aggressive than your current tires. One thing I've noticed looking at wheel sizes for ATVs is, 4on4 (4x100~) is hard to come by in anything taller than 8 or 10 inches diameter. So wheel spacer/adapters would be needed in this case.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...e?cm_vc=-10005
Old 05-05-2019, 07:39 PM

I am not opposed to lowering gears though I would rather not. I'm thinking of maybe converting to ATV rims/tires. There is a much better selection
Old 05-26-2019, 10:59 PM

Hey all, I dont want to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question. I just got an old 5 hp 1203 for my kids, and after cleaning the carb it will wind up and is fast ( figuratively) on flat pavement. However, it won't climb a hill if it's life depened on it. If it's on loose gravel it will spin out, but on pavement it just bogs down and stops.

So I've done some research, this did not come with a torque converter, but has a centrifugal clutch so no adjustment possible.

The drive gear is 10 teeth and the driven is 44. It also has 15x6-6 rear turf tires. If I buy smaller more aggressive tires will this help enough to climb? Or do I need a new drive gear also. We're are talking about a 10-15% grade .
Old 05-27-2019, 02:34 AM

Thanked 3,400 Times in 2,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
Hey all, I dont want to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question. I just got an old 5 hp 1203 for my kids, and after cleaning the carb it will wind up and is fast ( figuratively) on flat pavement. However, it won't climb a hill if it's life depened on it. If it's on loose gravel it will spin out, but on pavement it just bogs down and stops.

So I've done some research, this did not come with a torque converter, but has a centrifugal clutch so no adjustment possible.

The drive gear is 10 teeth and the driven is 44. It also has 15x6-6 rear turf tires. If I buy smaller more aggressive tires will this help enough to climb? Or do I need a new drive gear also. We're are talking about a 10-15% grade .
Smaller tyres will definitely help, but getting a larger axle sprocket would be better. Get a 60T
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Holmes (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 08:11 AM

Thanks Landuse, I'll give that a shot. I also found another thread discussing snow blower tires, and live axle kits. I think I'll go with the tire change also, but can anyone confirm that a 5 hp will get this up the hills with 100 lbs of passenger weight. Im not sure if I just start over with a larger machine. It is for 8-12 year old beginner riders.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks Landuse, I'll give that a shot. I also found another thread discussing snow blower tires, and live axle kits. I think I'll go with the tire change also, but can anyone confirm that a 5 hp will get this up the hills with 100 lbs of passenger weight. Im not sure if I just start over with a larger machine. It is for 8-12 year old beginner riders.
5HP should be fine. You just need to sort the gearing out. You could even go for a 72Tsprocket (depending on the ground clearance you have). This will give you even more torque to climb hills. You will lose some top speed though
Old 05-28-2019, 05:19 AM

So it turns out that you should not attempt to count gear teeth with no marking device and two kids asking when can they ride the kart every 5 seconds. I actually have the stock 54T sprocket. I went ahead with the 60T and am going to put on smaller more aggressive tires.

I'll post a pic with results when done. Now I gotta figure out if I can upgrade to a torque converter instead of the Ce.Clutch.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
So it turns out that you should not attempt to count gear teeth with no marking device and two kids asking when can they ride the kart every 5 seconds. I actually have the stock 54T sprocket. I went ahead with the 60T and am going to put on smaller more aggressive tires.

I'll post a pic with results when done. Now I gotta figure out if I can upgrade to a torque converter instead of the Ce.Clutch.
You should have a lot more torque and hill climbing power with what you are proposing.

And I just realised that you really HAVE hijacked this thread. Please start another one with your progress
Old 06-01-2019, 01:50 PM

I dunno. I am kinda liking where he's going lol