Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 03-25-2019, 09:47 PM

Default This stupid or best idea ever

Hello.. long story short.. i got my hands on a yamaha xt550. It has no spark, the reason it was parked.. it sat in the weather for years.. bike is shot but the motor seems to have good compression.

I just picture it in a shifter kart. It has a speedo and tech that i can put in a dash. Any yamaha guys know what and how to test components? I am not to knowledgable with working on bikes..
Old 03-25-2019, 10:00 PM
broke mechanic

Cool can i has it. I have a naskart that needs a motor so ill trade a predator for it
Old 03-25-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget GoKart View Post
Cool can i has it. I have a naskart that needs a motor so ill trade a predator for it
Yeah I cann tell you I will see your name in the paper if you had that thing with headline "15y/o gets broken bike off internet, fixes it and crashes into brick wall @ 120mph". Also a XT550 for a Predator? HAHA you gotta be kidding me if that even a fair deal for 4 predators. And it doesn't have a standard mount.

And for you 68kaiser ...the one with the actual XT550, it is CDI, so there is going to be a CDI box. See if the CDI box is working. Would try it with some starting fluid as well...and check to make sure the plugs aren't fouled up.
Flyinhillbilly (03-27-2019), Panhead5496 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 11:47 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,768 Posts

Thats a lot of engine for a kart. If you don't know what you are doing.......you will be dead or seriously injured
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Functional Artist (03-26-2019), Panhead5496 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 06:35 AM
G'me sumthin to write on

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
Thats a lot of engine for a kart. If you don't know what you are doing.......you will be dead or seriously injured
Well, he already admitted he doesn't know what he's doing. Not a good start.
Panhead5496 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcome-ezgo View Post
Well, he already admitted he doesn't know what he's doing. Not a good start.
Yeah thats not really a good sign. I'd see if you can get the motor running, see if the bike will run forward, and sell it off. CarsAndCameras have proven that a 16HP 5-speed is ludicrously fast, 38HP 5-speed....well thats just insane.
Kartorbust (03-27-2019), landuse (03-26-2019), Panhead5496 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 07:24 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpdingo View Post
Yeah thats not really a good sign. I'd see if you can get the motor running, see if the bike will run forward, and sell it off. CarsAndCameras have proven that a 16HP 5-speed is ludicrously fast, 38HP 5-speed....well thats just insane.
Thats what I would do. Sell it, and if you really want a motorcycle engine then buy yourself a 125 and make a shifter kart
Old 03-26-2019, 08:04 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

It might work if you are making a Bonneville record breaker, but putting a beast of an engine like that on a go kart is just begging on your knees for trouble.
I originally wanted to make a Predator 670 go kart, but after knowing how fast modded 212s are and seeing Carsandcameras' Black Widow build, I'm really glad I didn't.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSpeedDemon View Post
It might work if you are making a Bonneville record breaker, but putting a beast of an engine like that on a go kart is just begging on your knees for trouble.
I originally wanted to make a Predator 670 go kart, but after knowing how fast modded 212s are and seeing Carsandcameras' Black Widow build, I'm really glad I didn't.
Well CarsAndCameras has the 90hp Ducatti so Bonneville is probably out of the question.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:12 AM

Gol-ding it! I COMPLETELY forgot about the Ducarti! If they made a body for it, that thing would probably do about 200 mph!
In a car analogy, that Ducarti is something akin to putting a Bugatti W16 in an amateur racecar. TERRIBLE IDEA! But insanely awesome at the same time...
Old 03-26-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Gol-ding it! I COMPLETELY forgot about the Ducarti! If they made a body for it, that thing would probably do about 200 mph!
In a car analogy, that Ducarti is something akin to putting a Bugatti W16 in an amateur racecar. TERRIBLE IDEA! But insanely awesome at the same time...
Somebody with some money and a M.E. degree should make a custom frame suitable for the ducatti...
Old 03-26-2019, 08:53 AM

Thanked 4,194 Times in 3,139 Posts

DUCATI for the Cavalieri brother's sake..

And as much as I love them (the 916-999 are the most beautiful sportsbikes ever made IMHO)
The engines are not exactly great..
it's not like putting a Bugatti engine in it.. more like putting in a Maserati engine
(you essentially need three.. one being repaired, one to move around with and one spare in case that breaks before the first is ready)

So.. in an endurance race.. I'd put my bet on a 40hp Yamaha if it's facing a 90horse Ducati any day

Also as all XT series engines.. those are the literal work horse.. torque torque and torque
for some mild offroading you can only do better with a higher combustion volume

So IMO a XT550 shifter in a small buggy is a great idea,
non obstructive road speeds, reliable hill climbing power, not too aggressive but snappy enough for good fun.

Yeah.. Personally I'd make a scrambler and keep it for a season or two, but it's not a terrible idea to mount it to a buggy.

GoKart on the other hand is something different (very light, no supsension, one seat, small wheels)
THAT may not be considered stupid but it's not exactly a good idea either..
As I said.. "torque torque and torque".. that engine can pretzel a kart in no time at all.
But apart from it being a dangerous setup:
You'll need new rear tyres every other week or so, it's fun for sure with wheelies and such..
but that will get expensive in the long run.

'sid
Kartorbust (03-27-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 09:27 AM

'sid, I purposely 'misspelled' Ducati. I'm referring to the whole go kart, that Carsandcameras NAMED the "Ducarti". As for tpdingo's misspelling, the t and r are right next to each other on a qwerty keyboard, so I think that's understandable.
But yes, those engines are metal PRETZEL MAKERS on go karts! The Ducarti actually bent the frame when they tried to do a burnout(I think it's a Margay frame).
Old 03-26-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
As for tpdingo's misspelling, the t and r are right next to each other on a qwerty keyboard, so I think that's understandable.
I was typing on my phone. There comes a point where it becomes too much of a hassle to go back and fix it. putting two t's in ducati was one of them.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:36 AM

Got a service manual.. see if i can find the problem.. i have a few other projects to finish before this one.. the bike just fell in my lap i could not turn it down. I would just like to get the motor to run for now.. it may not be a good donor motor.. yamaha used the frame as a oil reservoir for the motor, dont know how to go about it.. make my own or eliminate it. I have been looking for a big motor for a cart or smaller odessy style kart.
I am fully aware of the danger with this size motor. Thanks for your concern about my safety.. as soon as i saw the bike i said out loud "THIS IS ALL BAD"

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Also i am not a 15 year old.. i was hoping to get some help testing the stator, cdi and coil. I have built big blocks and small blocks, transmissions and axles most of my life.. testing electronics on this bike is new to me. Just looking for numbers to look for while testing. When Testing the cdi box I DONT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING do many of you? If so please help me out
Old 03-26-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68kaiser View Post
Got a service manual.. see if i can find the problem.. i have a few other projects to finish before this one.. the bike just fell in my lap i could not turn it down. I would just like to get the motor to run for now.. it may not be a good donor motor.. yamaha used the frame as a oil reservoir for the motor, dont know how to go about it.. make my own or eliminate it. I have been looking for a big motor for a cart or smaller odessy style kart.
I am fully aware of the danger with this size motor. Thanks for your concern about my safety.. as soon as i saw the bike i said out loud "THIS IS ALL BAD"

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Also i am not a 15 year old.. i was hoping to get some help testing the stator, cdi and coil. I have built big blocks and small blocks, transmissions and axles most of my life.. testing electronics on this bike is new to me. Just looking for numbers to look for while testing. When Testing the cdi box I DONT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING do many of you? If so please help me out
The frame is an oil resovoir? I bet it also acts as a intercooler as well because of its massive surface area. Given that...I'd say junk the idea of ever putting it on a kart...there are much cheaper and better solutions. And for the CDI box, I'd check out this link and see if it comes back with any useful info: http://dirtrider.net/forums3/threads...d-coil.152256/
Old 03-26-2019, 11:04 AM

Honestly if its to cool the oil that would be a good thing. I dont mind fab work..
Old 03-26-2019, 12:48 PM

You'll "just" have to build an oil reservoir and put an oil cooler somewhere on the "high pressure" side. That's in quotes because it's doubtful the oil system operates above 1-2psi hot. An oil cooler would be a good idea given a kart's generally lower speeds and reduced airflow.

It appears to be a similar engine to Honda's 500-600cc RFVC engines that came out at the same time, one of which I have.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:43 PM

Went thru the harness deleted lights and what not to simplify it. All the connectors are sun rotted. It has sat for many years it looks like..drained the oil and it looked good, no sings of fuel and not to much metal flake in it.. my **** compression tester will not work need to get a adapter or metric one.. the compression feels good, need to stand on it to turn it over.
The coil does not seem to test out per manual, very high ohm reading to what it should be.. i will keep tinkering with it.. thanks for your help guys
Old 03-26-2019, 04:48 PM

I was searching the net and found a video on puting the cdi box in the oven at 300 deg for 10 mins... i figured i had nothing to loose.. and ill be a sob it worked.. she fired.. could not believe it.. i will order one now that i know what the problem is.. this project has hope after all
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 68kaiser For This Useful Post:
landuse (03-27-2019), Panhead5496 (03-26-2019)