Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > All Other Parts

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 07:44 PM

Default Suspension

my current go kart is fairly rigid with only a bike shock as a cushion. not a terribly sweet ride for the gravel driveways and roads i use it on. ive been looking into the cost of my next ride and want a little more suspension in it. the go kart i use i did not build myself. only restored it. i was wondering how to go about making the pivot in the suspension arms and what materials to get so i can factor it into my budget. thx!
Old 10-22-2018, 08:23 PM

You have pictures of the kart so we could be of more help?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:31 PM

im not adding it onto the kart with no suspension. just planning out a future build and wanted a parts list. if it would help, im planning on a somewhat off-road style build with the classic predator 212 and possibly some stage 1 mods. to give a sense of scale, it would be able to handle a single rider 6' tall and under 200 lbs. i want it to be adjustable for several different riders so adjustible suspension is probably what i will go for.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:04 PM

I'd maybe venture into the 301cc or 420cc engines for a bit more power for a full suspension kart for a grown adult.

If your doing double a-arm suspension in the front you'll want 12 heim joints. If you want to go with single a arm, then you'll only need 4 heim joints.

Rear suspension you have a lot of choices for design and that part is really up to you. You can go with the standard swing arm and you can either mount the engine on the swing arm, or if you can match the pivot of the swing arm with the sprocket and chain from the engine, you could mount the engine on the kart frame itself.

Another option is run trailing arms instead and either have sprockets on each arm, or you could get 4 sets of U-joints for 1" axles with a 1/4" key and have independent suspenion. Then you'll need really just 2 heim joints unless you want more.

Another option is similar to the trailing arm in how many u-joints, you could run double a-arms, then you'll also need 16 heim joints for those.

Or you could run single a-arm and just use 4 heim joints and 2 u-joints.

Just a heads up, trying to get u-joints to line up with the pivot of the suspension is going to be a bit of a pain, but it'll be well worth the effort.

Additionally you'll need shocks, either air or spring.

Building a full suspension kart or mini buggy is not a cheap endeavor. It could be more than double the cost easily of just a standard yard kart. So once you decide on which kind of suspension you want, I highly suggest you buy parts a little at a time and not buy them all at once. Get a small collection of hardware because it's always the small stuff that adds up fast, not the big stuff.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:10 PM

thank you. what pieces do I need to make the pivoting part in the suspension arms, though? that was my main concern...
Old 10-24-2018, 07:44 PM

Which part are you referring to? Go to google and grab a picture of the style you want to go with and I'll do my best to explain what parts are needed.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:08 PM

im talking about the part where the suspension arms actually join to the frame. that pivoting point. how does one make those work? do you simply run a certain size bolt through a certain sized steel pipe? do you stick in bearings or bushings? what size of pipe would i need? would it need to be special ordered? that is what im asking.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:50 PM

So the way I'll probably end up doing it on my own build is take some 1" wide 1/4" flat stock and make them about 1" long and weld them to the frame. Drill a hole in the size of bolt you'll use. I'm probably going to use grade 5 bolts and use Nord-lock self locking washers, they are supposedly more reliable than nylock nuts, locking washers.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:08 PM

To make your pivots your going to need some sort of hinge. Your on the right track with bushings and tubing. You can google bushings for there ID and OD and match them up to tubing sizes to find what you need.

For example for a pivot you could use a 5/8 bolt with 1”x0.125” tubing with a 0.75od x .625id nylon bushing.

Remember tube and pipe are different

Tube is measured with the OD and pipe is just crazy. Stick with tube.
The Following User Says Thank You to nbaffaro For This Useful Post:
redneckengineering (10-28-2018)
Closed Thread