Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Photo Gallery & Project Log

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 08:04 AM

Default I'm back and I have an FL250(kinda)!

So thanks to Uni I haven't logged on in 2.5 years it seems, whoops. Anyway, I'm now back and very close to having a mechanical engineering degree at last so I finally have time to waste on buggies and karts again!

I figured you all would be interested in how this project of mine has been going(slowly) over the last 6 months or so and might have some good ideas for where I'm now stuck.

Just a warning, this will be a long post and lots of pictures to catch you all up!

Back in April or so this came up cheap on gumtree(kinda like craigslist but with more trees and less people named Craig I assume).

It looked like it had seen a whole lot of abuse but the core bits were there aside from the motor and clutches, easy enough to swap out for something else I figured

The frame had essentially been cut in half and reattached at some point in its life but whoever welded it clearly didn't have a clue, lots of blow through and not a lot connecting the 2 ends. On top of this a bunch of other mounts had been welded in for I assume a motor swap, the roll hoop had also been relocated and was far too short to be safe as the original raised legs had been removed(on top of the cracks almost all the way around it and it being full of water lol)

I started off the rebuild by cutting out all the garbage that had been added on and then cut out the section of frame either side of the dodgy welds to remove both the weld and what I guess was meant to be reinforcing material... this is what most of that chunk looked like...

To join the 2 halves back together I sliced a piece of rhs down the middle and sleeved this into the chassis with a few tacks to hold it together as I assembled it. Followed up with a bunch of plug welds after getting the 2 halves fully together. I then welded a new "skin" over the section that I removed. The repaired area isn't perfectly smooth but it is solid and with paint doesn't look like a repair without getting close.

I've also cleaned up the front fairing, patched a hole in the front and given it a paint, nothing major but makes it look a lot nicer!
The seat is almost a total loss to rust, I will probably salvage the back part(with lots of patches welded in) and rebuild its mounting brackets and bracing. I'll have to make a new seat base, I have a rough idea of how I'll do this but can't see myself making anything like the original, I'm not intending to restore this really as without the original motor it isn't overly valuable so just whatever it takes to get it going reliably and nice looking.

The Following User Says Thank You to jman231994 For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (12-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 08:04 AM

A few weeks ago I finally got a motor, a crf230 motor from a friends bike that was fire damaged. I've since replaced a lot of the wiring but physically the motor seems fine, so that's the go.
Sadly in Australia we don't really have many snowmobiles(tad warm outside the alps) so finding powerful, cvt compatible 2 stroke motors isn't easy at all. I plan to leave the original gearbox intact somehow so that if I do come across the correct motor and clutch in the future I can fit it.

A coat of paint and a rough assembly gives where I'm at now.

So... I did mention I am stuck haha

Basically in 1st gear the bike engine has an output ratio of 8.56:1 and in 6th 2.51:1, adding in the odyssey's 9.5:1 or so gearbox brings those numbers to rather insane levels.
With 22" tyres and around 10000rpm redline, top speed is approx 45kph(~28mph). I was hoping for that sort of speed in 3rd or 4th gear so the higher gears can be used for cruising through paddocks and fire trails etc at lower rpm.

My target is approximately 70kph top speed(6th gear 10,000rpm, I don't expect to be driving around on redline all day hence the desire for a higher top speed, preferably through the odyssey gearbox).

I can achieve roughly this by having a 16t front sprocket and a 10t rear sprocket between the motor and the gearbox input shaft. I was considering boring out a 10t sprocket to perfectly fit the input shaft and welding it in place. The shaft already has a HUGE sprocket welded on so I'm not too worried about damaging the shaft and I can easily get such a small sprocket running true.

Basically I feel like I might've missed an easier option, missed some reason my idea wont work or derped and gotten the speed calcs wrong(hope not lol)...so before I go buying any parts I want some input from the collective knowledge here

Thanks for reading if you made it this far, I'll keep this updated with more pics as I keep rebuilding it!
The Following User Says Thank You to jman231994 For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (12-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 10:53 AM

Pretty cool man. Lookin good. Keep the pics coming.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Sick, Tired, and in Debt

Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,740 Posts

With a degree in Mechanical Engineering, I'm going to declare you the fluid dynamics expert on the forum. This position should fit you well. Congratulations and good luck. We are all counting on you.

Kool Kart!!!
Old 12-03-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob58o View Post
With a degree in Mechanical Engineering, I'm going to declare you the fluid dynamics expert on the forum. This position should fit you well. Congratulations and good luck. We are all counting on you.

Kool Kart!!!
I actually did my honours project on undertray and diffuser design for my uni's SAE team, I didn't do too many mathematical fluid calcs but I'm sure I can be useful lol. My work was predominantly in simulation and generally building stuff...have some pics haha

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jman231994 For This Useful Post:
bob58o (12-03-2017), ezcome-ezgo (12-04-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 04:01 AM

Do we have an ody expert around still(Bighead)? Or even someone with a stock one?

I need to replace the pipe uprights that the main roll hoop sleeves into, I've never had them so I'm chasing some dimensions(height, OD, ID etc). Pics would be good too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2017, 05:36 AM

Thanked 3,479 Times in 2,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman231994 View Post
Do we have an ody expert around still(Bighead)? Or even someone with a stock one?

I need to replace the pipe uprights that the main roll hoop sleeves into, I've never had them so I'm chasing some dimensions(height, OD, ID etc). Pics would be good too!

Unfortunately Bighead hasn't been around for a while. Send him a PM though, as he would probably get the email notification still

Welcome back!! I wish i could help you with the gearing
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
jman231994 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 05:51 PM

Cheers, I'll give that a go.

I think I might have the gearing sorted now anyway. I'm thinking I'll machine back a locating collar on the axle and just put a normal sprocket/brake setup on to save stuffing around....thats another thing I need to try and ask him about haha

Old 12-12-2017, 06:22 PM

I might be a last resort for you. Lol. I have a stock 1982 machine. But expecting a lake effect snow storm tonight. Plus I'm in one wheel drive, for a while, injured reserve.

Anyhow if we avert the storm I'll take some pics and some measurements. If we don't avoid the storm I might be trapped til spring. , or next week.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy H For This Useful Post:
jman231994 (12-14-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 07:26 PM
The REAL Poboy

Awesome work, Jman!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:27 PM
2018 Buildoff Winner ! 😎😎

That is a great job there. And welcome back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe-405 For This Useful Post:
jman231994 (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy H View Post
I might be a last resort for you. Lol. I have a stock 1982 machine. But expecting a lake effect snow storm tonight. Plus I'm in one wheel drive, for a while, injured reserve.

Anyhow if we avert the storm I'll take some pics and some measurements. If we don't avoid the storm I might be trapped til spring. , or next week.
Haha at this rate your my best chance snowstorm or not lol.
Regardless I'm not in a rush, lots of other things I can be working on before I get to the roll cage anyway...but if you aren't snowed in til spring I'd very much like those pics/dimensions!

Hard to imagine being snowed in at all....currently 40+ deg C here lol (approx some big number in fahrenheit lol)
Old 12-15-2017, 07:17 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,676 Posts

100+. 37.7c = 100f...
Old 12-15-2017, 10:06 PM
The REAL Poboy

Yeah, yeah, yeah....your toilets still drain backwards!

Now...stay with me here.... all your measurements are metric, from flour to automotive....

So all your bolts and nuts are different sized both in thread, shaft, and head.

But...our sinks and toilets turn the same way as our bolts.

Oh...WAIT!!! I'm such an idiot! Your toilets turn the way TAKING BOLTS OUT does! Ours are putting it in! No wonder Yankees are full of Schnit!
Old 12-16-2017, 04:51 AM

We're looking at T- shirt and shorts weather for a few days next week. 40F, 4.4C. Woo hoo.

I'll be able to do some measuring/ photos then.

I was looking on ebay for roll cage bases. I may put a different engine in mine, don't want to hack the original up. Dang $225 for one, maybe if it was chrome plated. Lol. I think I'll be duplicating mine, more our less.

I may even try to find a metric tape measure. To avoid all those complicated conversion formulas, err punching numbers into conversion calculators.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy H For This Useful Post:
KingCobra (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy H View Post
We're looking at T- shirt and shorts weather for a few days next week. 40F, 4.4C. Woo hoo.

I'll be able to do some measuring/ photos then.

I was looking on ebay for roll cage bases. I may put a different engine in mine, don't want to hack the original up. Dang $225 for one, maybe if it was chrome plated. Lol. I think I'll be duplicating mine, more our less.

I may even try to find a metric tape measure. To avoid all those complicated conversion formulas, err punching numbers into conversion calculators.

I'd kill for a nice cool day like that haha

Sounds great, I'd have to buy another ody frame to get a spare over here lol, it's a shame they never got as common as in the US.....

Dooo it....come to the dark side! We have nice numbers!

Closed Thread