Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 07:29 PM
KART ART

Bbqjoe nitrous isn't flammable.
It's chemical oxygen that's bound by two nitrogen atoms
At around 500 degrees the bond breaks and allows the oxygen molecule to burn.
The extra power is derived from that oxygen molecule. It's a purer or more potent oxygen molecule than that of atmospheric oxygen.
So by cramming this chemical oxygen into the combustion chamber you can add more fuel and create more power with the same volume cylinder size.

essentially just like a supercharger or turbo but they are compressing atmospheric oxygen which creates lots of heat.
Nitrogen is extremely cold so it lowers air intake charge temps so it does very well with creating lots of torque as well.
A 100hp shot of nitrous is probably going to net you somewhere around 120 ft lb of torque with the 100hp gain prospectively.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:51 PM
The great cornholio

572 degrees Fahrenheit is where the oxygen and nitrogen molecules seperate. The nitrogen also acts as a shock absorber.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:14 PM
KART ART

^^^^^^^ That's it.
Of course you can get way into nitrous just like anything else. I've always liked it because it can be very tech friendly. I ran so many safety systems with my nitrous kits that were all tech stuff like window switches or 3 in 1 nitrous gauges that monitor fuel pressure, wot, and rpm range (window switch) and switch off solenoids if any of the 3 aren't good to go.
Build em right and they will love the old giggle juice.

And anyone who's ever said " Nitrous is cheating " knows absolutely noting about the cost of doing a nitrous system the right way, let alone building a motor for nitrous specifically.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:02 AM
The great cornholio

I can also tell you that a 200,000+ mile 350 chevy will survive multiple bottles at 250 if the tune is right (I'm crazy, don't try this at home). My friends were all stressing out that it would be like an atomic bomb when it let go, but I've blown up enough stuff to know that usually it just sounds real bad, and sometimes parts fall out of them. Once in a great while you'll have a fire if you window the block bad enough to get oil on the exhaust. Good times.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:47 AM
Sick, Tired, and in Debt

Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,740 Posts

This is DIYGK. Crack the bottle and see what happens. If it blows up and you survive to tell the story, now we are all smarter. Just kidding, have a friend hold the camera in case you don't
Old 01-16-2017, 07:19 PM

I have one **** don't work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Gears For This Useful Post:
Flyinhillbilly (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 07:26 PM
KART ART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gears View Post
I have one **** don't work

Which kit do you have gears?
Very interested to hear more......
Old 01-16-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcrydrummer View Post
Which kit do you have gears?
Very interested to hear more......

It's called microburst or something it's really not worth your time believe me

bob58o (01-17-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 09:02 PM

If those cylinders really have nitrous in them you could rig up a wet shot if it were to go through a system like a small air brush gun. Instead of putting paint in it put some gas in it and use the nitrous as the propellant. Have it spray into an air filter boot. You could adjust how much gas went into the shot with the air brush valve. Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kentucky Boy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Boy View Post
If those cylinders really have nitrous in them you could rig up a wet shot if it were to go through a system like a small air brush gun. Instead of putting paint in it put some gas in it and use the nitrous as the propellant. Have it spray into an air filter boot. You could adjust how much gas went into the shot with the air brush valve. Just a thought.
It's N20 (nitrogen 2 oxygen) aka go fast gas ....however these shots are used usually for culinary chiefs to apply whip cream (idk why I think it cools it and it's better then aerosol) any who you can buy then at Walmart or on ebay 100 canisters for $30 so if it's something your into buy them for use in whip cream guns and put them into your gocart and enjoy the .2mph speed increase you road Devils!

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

These work in the system I posted earlier cheap too

Old 01-16-2017, 10:01 PM
KART ART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gears View Post

It's called microburst or something it's really not worth your time believe me

Oh I believe you. That's exactly why I created this thread. I think those kits are the cheesiest things ever.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:31 AM
Sick, Tired, and in Debt

Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,740 Posts

I refuse to believe that nitrous, if done correctly, can't work in a go kart or minibike.
8 cylinders - 1 Cylinder - same thing.

If you only got +0.2 mph, I'd say you need a bigger shot.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:44 AM

Nitrous cools the air allowing more air and fuel to be put in the combustion chamber, making more power. One atom of oxygen breaks off and attaches to a fuel molecule make for a better charge. Need to add fuel to make up for the denser air and the extra oxygen.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob58o View Post
I refuse to believe that nitrous, if done correctly, can't work in a go kart or minibike.
8 cylinders - 1 Cylinder - same thing.

If you only got +0.2 mph, I'd say you need a bigger shot.
It's just not a noticeable enough difference given the risk and money you'll need to toss at your gokart for it to work ...a perfect scenario you'll need to run your gocart rich for the N2o meaning you'll loose power (however the 4 seconds of nitrous will have better results) but the rest of the time it'll run like ****

chancer (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 06:56 AM

How many shots are in one cylinder? The hoses look so big that I couldn't imagine getting any in the engine with the first shot at least. The first shot would basically only be good to purge the hose of all that air that's in it.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
How many shots are in one cylinder? The hoses look so big that I couldn't imagine getting any in the engine with the first shot at least. The first shot would basically only be good to purge the hose of all that air that's in it.
1 canister the size of a CO2 canister can fit but once you open the dispenser any N2O in the tunes will leak out

Old 01-17-2017, 07:55 AM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcrydrummer View Post
I am by far a huge supporter of nitrous to get that out of the way.
I have used nitrous on every single performance car build I have ever done.
I absolutely love nitrous in every aspect except having to refill the bottle.

So now that's out of the way

I see these youtube video's from popular youtube channel creators advertising x brand small engine nitrous kit etc.
They always offer up a comprehensive how to install (Not that it's difficult on these applications)
But rarely ever give out sound advice on what to expect, what to consider, how to install safely, and vastly more important to me how to determine if that 60 bucks you spent for it is worth a crap or money wasted.

The huge issue I have with these kits is that you have to rejet your carb in order to gain anything.

Most of these engines (predators especially) run very lean from the factory.

So suppose you know nothing of nitrous or small engine fue/air mixtures. You install a kit and you use it and end up ruining your top end because of these videos.... well that's great.

Another thing is suppose you do know these things. So you attempt to rejet to the best of your ability to compensate for the nitrous and now your running super rich 95% of the time.
So you end up loosing power 95% off the time to gain 2 hp 5% of the time and you've spent close to 80 bucks at this point.

I think these guys owe it to their viewers to cover all of these things when promoting this stuff. A lot of the people watching the channels don't know much about small engines and watch to learn and get cool ideas for their videos.

I certainly plan to make a video to cover some of these. Unfortunately I don't reach many viewers but if it helps anyone I guess it's worth the small effort to make a quick video.

What are your guys thoughts?????

Just to recap. I'm not saying I'm Mr. Safety.....if you have seen my posts you know I am quite the opposite. However, when I do put out advice or information I am sure to make sure the viewer, reader, listener, etc is completely informed and able to make their own decision.
Thanks for posting this. I had a conversation recently wherein I said exactly the same thing, in my own words.

The thing is, though- I'm quite sure that the target demographic is kids. Kids who are willing to part with a few bucks in order to be able to say that their go kart (or whatever project) "Has NOS, bro!"

Yeah.

I was actually considering scoring one of these goofy little kits, and seeing if I could re-engineer it into a wet shot system that might skirt some of these issues.

Then, I find myself thinking that for the amount of time and effort... Nah.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 01-17-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinhillbilly View Post
Very good points by everyone. Personally I think rather than just testing and reviewing as is, maybe we could all work together to try to figure out a way to make it work.
My first thought is of something similar to an aerosol can that would draw fuel in with the nitrous, as a side benefit race fuel could be used with the nitrous to help keep the piston intact.
Anyone know anything about how aerosol works?
I just put my power adder in the gas tank, nitromethane adds a heck of a kick.
What about a aircompressor paint sprayer with high test fuel and octane booster the air supply would not be air rather N20 but those dinky n20 canisters will need be bigger like a small nos bottle have a y valve one nob one to purge and one to the Carb the end nozzles could be fitted with misting nozzles making like a fogger setup

Old 01-17-2017, 09:33 AM

I'm not a kid, but an adult by many years. I would never get something like that kit with expectations of wheelie popping performance gains. I have $60 extra dollars that I can afford to flush down the toilet if I wanted to. I like tinkering with stuff out in my garage. I might go ahead and get this kit just to see what it is capable of. Like I said, no expectations what so ever and I acknowledge it is probably a waste of money but why not try? I doubt it would really break any engine components unless you use it constantly for an extended amount of time.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I'm not a kid, but an adult by many years. I would never get something like that kit with expectations of wheelie popping performance gains. I have $60 extra dollars that I can afford to flush down the toilet if I wanted to. I like tinkering with stuff out in my garage. I might go ahead and get this kit just to see what it is capable of. Like I said, no expectations what so ever and I acknowledge it is probably a waste of money but why not try? I doubt it would really break any engine components unless you use it constantly for an extended amount of time.
The one I bought was like $30-40

Closed Thread