Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Off Topic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 11:05 PM

Since this was a how was your day thread.

I wanted everyone to know. My day was great. Made plans with my son's for the holidays. Looking forward to seeing all my grandkids. Life is good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy H For This Useful Post:
landuse (12-18-2016), Poboy kartman (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 01:28 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,768 Posts

This childishness will stop now!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Bbqjoe (12-18-2016), Poboy kartman (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 01:56 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,003 Times in 716 Posts

All I can say, is it better!
Old 12-18-2016, 06:34 AM

Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,692 Posts

What is this, kindergarten? Give it a rest already.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Sprocket For This Useful Post:
Kartorbust (12-18-2016), Poboy kartman (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 07:07 AM
Banned

Thanked 2,953 Times in 2,299 Posts

My day today is COLD! 18f is cold, I don't care who you are or where you are. Sammy slept next to me like a wife last night, with only his head above the covers and his body next to mine....(sharing the body heat...and the love.( I think he may have purred all night!)

I'm going to do some house cleaning and laundry, and plant some pepper and tomato seeds and ? indoors to transplant in the spring.

I hope I didn't forget anything that needed protection last night)

BTW: It was 74 yesterday afternoon! (Texas weather!)
Old 12-18-2016, 09:21 AM

My day's not going that well today, I'm happy to make my first post in here though. My predator kicked back real hard this morning and now I'm sitting on the couch typing with one arm, luckily I am using iPhone and auto-correct is giving me another hand.

Wait, Spindles?
Old 12-18-2016, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Spindle:D View Post
My day's not going that well today, I'm happy to make my first post in here though. My predator kicked back real hard this morning and now I'm sitting on the couch typing with one arm, luckily I am using iPhone and auto-correct is giving me another hand.

Wait, Spindles?
You type with your arms?
Pics or it doesn't happen.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,034 Posts

Quote:
...My predator kicked back real hard this morning...
Here's an arcane question: Do you really know how to start a single cylinder, recoil-start engine (or specifically a Predator 212cc)?

Just turn on the fuel, turn on the choke and pull the cord vigorously until it starts, right?

Wrong. A few caveats first:

☞ The engine could possibly have a bent or sheared flywheel key. This typically causes kickback, enough to hurt your wrist significantly.

☞ The recoil assembly could be defective, engaging too soon or not releasing properly, yanking the cord out of your hand while you're still grasping it firmly (ouch!).

Anyway, the common wisdom is to pull the starter cord slowly until you feel resistance (the compression stroke), pause there then wind up and give it a sharp pull, pulling it through one and more complete firing sequences.

Kickback is caused by spark, gas ignition, and burning well before top-dead-center (BTDC) piston position. If it were after TDC (ATDC), the engine would start, idle or run normally.

More to come...
Old 12-18-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Here's an arcane question: Do you really know how to start a single cylinder, recoil-start engine (or specifically a Predator 212cc)?

Just turn on the fuel, turn on the choke and pull the cord vigorously until it starts, right?

Wrong. A few caveats first:

>> The engine could possibly have a bent or sheared flywheel key. This typically causes kickback, enough to hurt your wrist significantly.

>> The recoil assembly could be defective, engaging too soon or not releasing properly, yanking the cord out of your hand while you're still grasping it firmly (ouch!).

Anyway, the common wisdom is to pull the starter cord slowly until you feel resistance (the compression stroke), pause there then wind up and give it a sharp pull.

Kickback is caused by spark, gas ignition, and burning well before top-dead-center (BTDC) piston position. If it were after TDC (ATDC), the engine would start, idle or run normally.

More to come...

Does it count if I opened the engine at one point and took the plastic fins off the flywheel, and then tried to remove the flywheel but it wouldn't budge? It may have budged a bit... but I did that before I started it the first time. Or preignition? It hasn't preignited before or yet.

Wait, Spindles?
Old 12-18-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Anyway, the common wisdom is to pull the starter cord slowly until you feel resistance (the compression stroke), pause there then wind up and give it a sharp pull, [I]pulling it through one and more complete firing.
I agree except for the sharp pull. No brute force required. On a stock Predator a lazy effortless pull is all that's required.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:47 PM

Dealing with sub-zero temps today and did some Christmas shopping. Instead of driving the Mountaineer like I normally do, I'm driving a truck my dad will be buying next week. Mountaineer needs a t-stat installed and maybe a complete coolant flush...air temp is only at 100-110 degrees when it should be 140-150. The shopping part was a complete bust, since the gift I'm looking for is sold out at 4 Wal-Marts near by and the mall...looking for the Dyson V6 motorhead. I can find the Animal unstick, just not motorhead.

But I'm enjoying the new ride. 2006 F150 XLT extended cab, 6.5' bed with hard cover, 5.4 3 valve V8. Thing is a beast and much more powerful than our aging 99 F150.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:09 PM
Banned

It's a balmy 18f here, but my heater just isn't making any heat at all. I put in a new 192? thermostat (whatever factory is) to replace the 150 I had in there, and the temp guage is showing normal now, so....soon as this cold snap passes, I'm going to try a new heater core.

The truck was overheating, and despite 3 flushes, a new radiator was needed, so I'm thinking the heater core may be clogged.

Mine's a 94 Flareside, but I think it has a 7' bed.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:22 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,034 Posts

Quote:
Does it count if I opened the engine at one point and took the plastic fins off the flywheel, and then tried to remove the flywheel but it wouldn't budge? It may have budged a bit... but I did that before I started it the first time. Or preignition? It hasn't preignited before or yet.

It is possible. Why did you remove the "plastic fins" from the flywheel? You know what those are, right?

I hope you put the fins back on or you will have a very hot engine on your hands, possibly a damaged one.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
It is possible. Why did you remove the "plastic fins" from the flywheel? You know what those are, right?

I hope you put the fins back on or you will have a very hot engine on your hands, possibly a damaged one.
I think he should call HF right now and cop to the fact that he has voided his warranty, just in case he tries to return it.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:08 PM

Don't worry, I'm not completely stupid.

Wait, Spindles?
Old 02-05-2017, 07:46 AM
Banned

Ok...just to keep this thread current, I'm gonna post this here.

A couple of days ago, Sammy, (my big cat) was next door late at night. Now, there is another male cat that lives there and they were getting along.

Then yesterday, this dumb cat decided because Sammy didn't mess with him in his yard, he could go in Sammies. Big mistake!!!!
That cat's not mean....he's EVIL!!!

The worst thing about Sammy is, he just doesn't quit. This poor cat was already whipped ( badly)....and just wanted get away. I doused Sammy with water, threw stuff at him, screaming STOP STOP (using totally acceptable GP rated language)

He chased that cat next door ( the OTHER next door) and continued the arse whippin.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:42 PM

So guess it was last Friday/Saturday I picked up my girlfriend from her family in Nebraska after her two week vacation. Anyway I did propose to her and she said yes to it. Kicker was, she only liked the ring, she didn't love it. Go figure. So right now I'm waiting on the proper ring to show up so she can see it in person. So that kind of sucks. Anyway, yesterday I counted all the change we had acquired over the last few years of using cash to buy stuff, grand total of $333 in change! The container we have the change in is a cheeseballs jug from Walmart. Just proves if you save all of your change, in just a few years you can have a lot of money in it. The container weighs in at about 33lbs, with majority of the coins in rolls. Still have quite a few pennies not counted, because I ran out of rolls for them. Box only came with 13 of them, and each roll holds $0.50 worth.

She is allowing me to keep all the change for whatever reason, even though I only agreed to take half of it. So right now, I have $533 I could put towards a build. Just trying to get her permission for it. But I also have to build my ice House, but that my dad is helping me buy material for it, since he agreed to do so 7 years ago when I built the frame in high school. So I think for that, I'll put some aide for it in the spring and summer when I'm working, while also saving for a wedding. The wedding will probably be fall 2018, giving us time to get the venue and enough ca$h saved up for it.

About 4 days ago, my boss asked me if I had interest in getting my CORE A and E fertilizer licenses. Told me I'll have the ability to go salaried with a pay increase. Today he told me that he's ordered the books for the tests and he'll show me how to use the equipment this next week, so I can get started right away in the spring. Salary would be a huge benefit to me, since this winter has been nothing but crap. Only had a few days where we could work.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:20 PM

Well I was jacked on Friday because we got 7" or so of fresh snow and I was really looking forward to snowboard behind my snowmobile and ride around in the powder. Guess what happens since yesterday afternoon? It's rained nonstop, creating 1/2" of ice crust on the snow and makes it all wet and sloppy. I didn't even try to take the sled out, would've been miserable.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:01 AM
Banned

Hoping for a better day today. Yesterday, I went to Fiesta, and they didn't have any oysters. I went to Academy, and they didn't have any old fashioned wire fish baskets. It got me frazzled, so I forgot the fish measuring board.

Then , the gas station didn't have any cartons of my brand of smokes. I went to the lake, fell in, got water in my waders and just shivered with nary a nibble.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,024 Times in 427 Posts

mmm. Oysters.
The Following User Says Thank You to robertdjung For This Useful Post:
Poboy kartman (02-08-2017)
Closed Thread