Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Off Topic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 01:57 AM

Default Calling le' car guys..

So I might have a chance to trade my motorcycle for a car.. I went about 6 months without a motorcycle before and just a car before. I kept getting the itch to ride again.. maybe it was the speed itch, because the car I was driving was pretty crappy.

Anyways, here's what I'm thinking about.

My 02 SV650S not stock, but not really fully modded either, I would say its more facing the stock end then modded. 18xxx miles. Daily rider.

For..

A 1995 Mitsubishi 3000 Gt. As far as I know, its stock. Miles unknown right now.

[7 year age difference, I know]

A few problems I have.
I like working on my own vehicles... doing mod's to upgrade them to the way I like and stuff, nothing super crazy, most of the time money limits what I can do. and also I only buy QUALITY parts, no rice in my pockets!

I've personally have changed the oil, and the timing belt in a car before, that's all I've touched car wise..

I've torn down top ends, and transmissions in motorcycles, was super easy. What I'm afraid of is, cars have so much extra crap.. and things surly weigh a lot more. and to me, I don't see cars the way I do motorcycles.. sure there's basic rules that apply to most if not all combustion engines. Spark/Fuel/air/compression. but as I already said, the "Extra stuff" really gets to me..

A few questions for the car guys, if they know anything about this particular car..

Parts? how easy are they to come by?

Any known issues? [like on CBR600F4i's they are known for having crappy chain tensioners.]

Do they drive anything like the 4th gen camaro's [drove one of those in highschool, was a fun car for a highschool kid! hated the wet roads though!] but this car is also AWD so I'm hoping that helps with all my wet-road traveling.

I am a guy who's owned ONLY motorcycles his whole driving/riding life so far. [since 16 - almost 20 in January.] so I'm really sketchy on cars. that's why If I do trade it.. I have about $2,500.00 set aside for fixing crap that falls off, or breaks.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:13 AM

Thanked 3,398 Times in 2,676 Posts

Personally, I'm biased, I don't like Mitsubishi but, they did make a few good cars (whether this is one of them, I don't know)

The first thing I'd be doing is check the price of your bike against others & do the same for the car; are the prices comparable?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabroman View Post
Personally, I'm biased, I don't like Mitsubishi but, they did make a few good cars (whether this is one of them, I don't know)

The first thing I'd be doing is check the price of your bike against others & do the same for the car; are the prices comparable?
Bought the bike on Craigslist for $1,500 - has about 2,000 in work in it... [I know that doesn't raise the price, I'm just adding that tid-bit of info.] My bike will/can sell on craigslist for about $4,000 If I clean it all up and make it really "pretty" easily.
for the car local craigslist shows they run around $2,000-8,000 REALLY depends on the year. most of them are the base models though, and not the twin turbo'd. I saw like one turbo.

the fact I'm having doubts. Is really what's keeping me from the trade.

I like this car because its different. - and I cannot afford a new vehicle. but I'm tired of getting caught in the rain for an hour straight on the highway, on a motorcycle. No matter how "rain proof" something is. it just fills up with water.. so im conflicted.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:18 AM
Banned

I'm a mitsubishi guy and I'm not feeling this trade, unless it's very clean. Ease of working is like any other v6 crammed in a car. Parts availability depends on what your local junkyard have, but they're not that common to begin with.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:17 AM
Pro Junk Collector

Personally got a mitsubishi guy at all. The only way i would consider the trade is if the 3000gt is in very good shape, and the TT VR4 model. In which case the owner likely would not trade for your bike. N/A 3000gt's are a dime a dozen, i could have scooped one up for 1000 the other day, it was a 96, with 190k miles, 5 speed, pretty good shape.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:51 AM

Thanked 1,746 Times in 1,440 Posts

Well if just a car is wanted, not necessary for a ton of "fun", a Honda Civic/Accord/Integra might be a good choice. They are really common. Relatively cheap for parts, and reasonably good on gas(depending on what mods installed, but good when stock). over all a decent car.
I had an Accord before it got into an accident 2 months ago and we loved it for a general car to go to work and all.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Just kartin' around....

Thanked 1,385 Times in 1,097 Posts

My uncle has a 96 (i believe) that he bought for $500 with bad motor. He bought used 'yard motor for another $500 and has been tearing up the streets ever since... awd 5spd and everything works. Its pretty clean. He got the car to fix and sell, but that was 3 years ago. He says he wont sell it. Its his play toy.

They cant be that bad of a car,around here there is a 3000gt club. Some are HIGHLY modded,but the rest only have nice paint n wheels or a killer entertainment system. And there are a lot of being raced at the MAJOR dragstip in Baytown. And there is a couple that are successfully drift racing (whatever them nuts are doing,like follow the leader. ) out in angleton. And lastly,one of my crew members at the station ,blew his twin turbo 600+hp gt...... and i meAN KAABLOOOOOOMMMMMM! Too much boost?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Banned

If he turbocharged the non turbo motor without upgrading the pistons, then yes. They can only handle so much.

Im into the 4g63 motors. A NA one maxes out around 300 but the same block, crank, and rods with factory turbo pistons have made 700+
Old 09-05-2013, 08:41 AM

Thanks guys for all the responses. the car was not the twin turbo'd version so i figured between gas, and the lack of "fun" the car would had, I would get a lot more out of my bike.

I really need to get another gokart project.. I'll keep you all posted as always.