Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Using Tools and Welding

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 07:21 AM

Default cheaper sandblasting?

so i've got lots of things i want to sandblast. dirt bike frame, truck frame, various parts. i know a couple people who have sandblasters but i dont want to keep bugging them to use it. i found a good sandblaster at northern tool for $150. black diamond sand is $8/50LB at tractor supply, i already picked up 2 bags. the problem is the cheapest air compressor i can find that will provide enough air is over $1,000.
so i thought maybe i can pick up a very large air tank, and use a small compressor to fill it. i would have to wait a while for it to fill but at least i would be able to sandblast..
Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 AM

Thanked 3,398 Times in 2,676 Posts

... in 5 minute bursts... I have a 3.5hp, triple head pump on a 100L tank & it does ok...
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 AM

Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,692 Posts

Yeah, pretty much. My compressor really isn't sufficient for media blasting, either. But the odd time that I do it, I just tolerate the recovery time. Having a bigger tank (on the same pump) will have two effects. 1)Longer runs between waiting for recovery 2)Longer recovery waits. Your choice.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 03-17-2013, 01:20 PM

Volume volume volume volume it's all about volume. Oh and DO NOT USE SILCA SAND, that nice white sand will kill you Use kids play sand. If item is big, you can lay a blue tarp out work on top of that. That way you can reuse the media/sand again . Use filter mask for sure.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 AM

Its very good news for me that sandblast is available with in low price but if the tank problem then is it possible that i can replace those tank into new one?Any problem of changing?Tell me where the sandblast is purchased in pm.

Last edited by landuse; 06-06-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 AM

Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtogo View Post
Volume volume volume volume it's all about volume. Oh and DO NOT USE SILCA SAND, that nice white sand will kill you Use kids play sand. If item is big, you can lay a blue tarp out work on top of that. That way you can reuse the media/sand again . Use filter mask for sure.
Media blasting in open air (not in a cabinet) dictates the use of a cartridge respirator, regardless of the media used. That st you're blowing off the part ain't good for you either.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 04-24-2013, 06:43 PM

Any body have this. Wonder how it works.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FRCe4AodACoAwA
Closed Thread