Old 01-24-2013, 03:35 PM

Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,692 Posts

Ah-HA! A conspiracy. I knew it!
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 PM

food for thought.
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0188-1.jpg  

Last edited by landuse; 02-04-2013 at 05:03 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:20 AM

Hi guys sorry I will post every now and then, would you guys advise that I can use a electric system from one of those shopping carts/gopher carts that the elderly people use? Thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscaryu1 View Post

food for thought.
Thanks man but I am going to put both the engines on 1 rear axle at the back of the kart, it's a good idea thOugh
Old 03-20-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toystory_4wd View Post
Guys- it's a go kart, nothing more. I fail to see why we must overcomplicate the concept. Unless I missed something here, I get the sense that all the OP wants to accomplish is the ability to alternate between fuel and battery. So-

Live axle, on one side- classic kart stuff- gas engine as usual. On the other, a DC motor, maybe stripped off a scooter or something. Both require clutching, but what else is new?

Wanna burn fossils? Start the engine, engage the clutch, and go. Wanna go green? Engage that clutch, and the DC motor takes you there.

Without any unneeded fancy gimmicks like regen braking, where is all the complexity? This is a little highschool project, not high-dollar MIT venture.

I agree that it has the POTENTIAL to be very complex, but it need not be. I think we are getting lost in the "hybrid" lingo. To switch from hydro to dino, the OP may have to pull over, throw a lever or two, get out and start the engine. And maybe in electric mode it only does 10MPH and the battery only lasts 5 minutes. So? Why is this not acceptable?
New member here, forgive me - but I've just about sorted a similar project & thought I'd throw down another 2

I agree very much with toystory, hybrids are nothing new and they've been designed in all flavors from the insanely complex to bone basic, the latest of factory hybrid cars require a NASA background to understand fully, but what doesn't these days?

I'd say dual drive has got to be the easiest & simplest way to go - to alternate between fuel & electric drives can be as simple as dual throttles, the electric really doesn't need be clutched as it would help regen at speed (depending on motor/battery types), unless that top speed is such it creates too much drag & 2-4 smallish SLA batteries are cheap, as are basic controllers. If basic lead acid batteries are used for the electric drive you can "cheat" a bit if the ICE has a charging system - if the electric motor is say 24v with two 12v batteries in series, the ICE 12v charging system can be connected to the first battery on the negative side & helping to recharge over time. It's defo not the best thing for the batteries & they should be rotated occasionally to help balance the charge/discharge cycles - but hey cheap & easy right?

The problem as I see it with the generator & electric drive (no batteries) is while it's even simpler still - what's the point? It's not going to have any additional preformance in speed or fuel conservation & you might as well use the ICE to drive the wheel directly. With a battery bank the genny maintains a low but constant RPM just charging the bank & supplying "normal" low to cruise power, the peak amp draw/discharge (acceleration & max speed/drag) is taken up by the battery bank, which is excellent for fuel efficiency as the ICE never has any serious or abrupt throttle application.

The issue w/that (genny & bank electric drive) for a high school project is it starts to get a touch expensive and a little complicated - even the small, inexpensive gennys are still kinda big, usually noisy, low quality & they're typically the wrong voltages and may not be able to supply the amperage needed to power the electric drive directly... then there's regulating the outputs, 110v ac and/or 12vdc to 24/36/48v dc isn't impossible, there's dc-dc & ac-dc converters available for most of those combinations (golf carts/marine), few of which supply much in the way of amperage as they're meant for accessories at most. There's 24v alternators (military & marine) that could be used to make a DIY genny, but they're not cheap, there's still a potential amperage problem and the wiring has now become a bit of a headache.

Dunno - on typical high school time & resources I'd say go for the dual drive, it's effective and not that difficult to build...
Old 03-20-2013, 03:46 PM

Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,692 Posts

Barely awake- some good stuff there, thanks. Why don't you start a thread and illustrate your own project for us- we'd like to see it. Welcome to the forum!
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 03-24-2013, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the welcome toystory & best I can do http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21364
Closed Thread