Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Using Tools and Welding

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:51 PM

Default How to use this school mill? :O

Our teacher is only a welding instructor (and a very good one at that), but has no idea on how to use the mills/lathes around the shop

I've been wanting to resurface some items (cylinders, blocks), with a face mill that I'd obviously have to buy.

Pictures show ya ONE of the few vertical mills I'm playing with... it seems to use a giant collet (like ones in dremels) to attach stuffs :O

And this is the other nubmill:

Sorry for the cellphone pix :\
Old 09-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Computer Dork

Start with scrap metal and play around with the mills. Be prepared to buy a few mill bits because you will destroy a few before you get a feel for the materials you work with. You want a higher rpm for harder metals and slower for softer metals. Just go slow and you will be alright. Set your depth and slowly move back and forth across the metal using the x and y axis. Do not go more than 1/16th of and inch deep at a time. Really you should start a few hundredths deep at first then you can move deeper if you need to. Hope this helps.

Lefty
Old 09-24-2010, 03:48 PM

Yeah, I have a VERY basic idea of how to use it... (this is my FIRST time ever here ), problem is I have no idea how to attach any accessories

Any tips? O.o

And some of the "accessories" that I'm looking at don't seem to have a shaft to attach into the mill... am I missing something?
Old 09-24-2010, 03:54 PM
NZ Nutta :|

Is that a chuck on the end? Our one at home just works like a drill press, has a chuck and all the 'bits' have a shaft that goes in the chuck.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:59 PM

What exactly do you want to know, ... I can walk you through what ever you need.

Tell me what have you done so far and we will start from there.

Also, ... can you post a more clear picture of the Collet, ... the part you insert the mill bit into?

Also you might want to look here for some basic "Feed and Speed" info.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:21 PM

Might want to look for a good dial indicator as well as the cutter. You will want to start with some scrap metal to get the feel as indicated in a previous thread, however, as with most things in life, setup is the key. A dial indicator is the most useful thing you can have for the setup part.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:20 PM

Absolutely! I was (planning) on eventually machining my cylinder heads from a car (it'll teach me tons in the process)

I can get more pictures on monday, it really is exactly like a dremel collet.

Quote:
Also you might want to look here for some basic "Feed and Speed" info.
Did the HyperLink not work?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscaryu1 View Post
Absolutely! I was (planning) on eventually machining my cylinder heads from a car (it'll teach me tons in the process)

I can get more pictures on monday, it really is exactly like a dremel collet.

Did the HyperLink not work?
Well to be honest with you, ... your a little ways off of that goal. You will need to know the basics first. It has been said previously that you should start out on scraps of steel, that is one train of thought that works for sure, ... but it can be an advantage to cutting plastic first.

You can do all the same steps, ... just at a much more accelerated pace.

Before you do any cutting, ... you need to "TRAM" the head. In short, ... you need to align it 90*x90* to the bed. Perfectly straight up and down.

The chuck you have, could be any number of things, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Sorry, ... Here is the link for the "Speeds and Feeds" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speeds_and_feeds

If you do a google search for the phrase "Speeds and Feeds" (without the quotes) you will find loads of information.

Regards
Bill
Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 PM

Absolutely, I'll learn loads the entire way through

I'll get pictures tomorrow of the chuck/collet, ect. I'm willing to buy [quite] a few tools for this project. Long shot, but after working with this mill, I'ma try and find a old and used Bridgeport to use... (possibly rebuild it or something?), I'm only 15, but you have to start off somewhere
Old 09-27-2010, 04:10 AM
Nz Petrolhead

To machine a head, flat you will need a fly cutter attachment,

But good idea to start with scrap, id follow what bill is saying he sounds like he has plenty of experience!, so this is all ill add to the thread good luck mate!

Cheers, Cam.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:04 PM

Old 09-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Kartless....

You will need a couple of clamping sets, collet set, wrenches for the collet clamp, various cutters, a dial indicator or two, an edge finder(wriggler), a chuck that fits your collet taper(for edge finder and dial indicator), cuting fluid and some other stuff I'm forgetting. Just don't go and do somehting stupid and cut the table! Some layout fluid and a machinists scale helps too.

I would give some advice but my only experience is 2 hours on a a Bridgeport and I was sort of cheating with a DRO.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:59 PM

Clamping sets... according to Google don't seem to be that expensive

Collet set, no idea what type of collet it is. Is it even a usable mill (modern enough to have different collets? Yes, I don't know much )

I was looking into them edgefinders a few weeks ago, I can't figure out what you use them for

Dial indicator is a definite must for milling (making sure each side is equal and poop right o.o)

To me the mill just seems like a big dremel, just much more accurate Is that a true enuff statement? (Probably not)

So I should get a clamping set, collet set, and wrenches, ect, for the mill? Anyone know what type of collet it uses (assuming there are types? ><)
Old 09-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Pro Junk Collector

Edge finders (wigglers) are very important for making accurate cuts. Say you have a manifold that needs 2 holes, 3" center to center, 1/4" from the edge, you need to know where that edge is in order to start drilling 1/4" from it.

If i were you i'd use that south bend, it has DRO, which is very hand when your lazy. Hopefully it works.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 PM

I still don't get the point of them... why not just measure it out and poop o.o I've seen videos of it and use, and get the basic idea of HOW to use it, just no idea what the poop it's for

Any idea of what things I'd need to start some basic machining? (Say an end mill for some piston lightening xD)

Any links of what I should be looking at?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:53 PM

bump ?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Pro Junk Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscaryu1 View Post
I still don't get the point of them... why not just measure it out and poop o.o I've seen videos of it and use, and get the basic idea of HOW to use it, just no idea what the poop it's for

Any idea of what things I'd need to start some basic machining? (Say an end mill for some piston lightening xD)

Any links of what I should be looking at?
Its a million times more accurate to edge find.

An end mill to lighten a piston? well a good rule is two flute for aluminum and four flute for steel. So a 2 flute 1/2" end mill would be fine. You can also use a fly cutter, doesnt really matter. A cheap end mill set from HF would probably be fine to learn on, its easy to smoke even good end mills if you set the rpm wrong.

As for other accessories, a dial indicator, good caliper, collet set, and some parallels would be good.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Kartless....

Don't forget the parrallels and 123 blocks! As for the collet, you will have to figure out the taper.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:13 AM

Any idea hao to do that? :'(

What's a parallel and 123 blocks o.O
Closed Thread