Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 04:36 PM

Hi.. Im new in go kart building so i need some help. My english sucks but i'll hope you all understand me :p

But i wanna build a go kart.. I got an Briggs engine with 3hp i think. But there is noe clutch so i need to buy a centrifugal clutch.. But i just wonder how you fit it to the engine? If someone have a photo it would be really nice!! Im hoping on quick answers :)

NetZor
Old 07-28-2006, 06:33 PM

Briggs engines come with different size shafts. So you'll measure the shaft size (in standard measurements of inches) and it will be either 1/2 inch, 5/8 inch, or 3/4 inch as I recall. It's probably 5/8.

Then you'll buy the right clutch. Northern Tools has them in all sizes.

The shaft that comes off the engine should have a "keyway". This is a slot in the shaft where a little key locks the clutch in place. Then there will be a bolt that bolts into the shaft.

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:34 PM

if it is 1/2" or 5/8" , your a bit screwed, because clutches only come in 3/4" and 1"
if it is 1/2" or 5/8". buy a 1/2" or 5/8" inner diameter bushing with 3/4" outer diameter and a keyway inside and outside, if you can not find one with a keyway, take it to a machine shop and ask them to cut a keyway into the bushing. this can be quite a pain if it is, i am not even sure if a bush will work.

robert, is northern tools paying you to advertise on your site or something? i like their price but their site is very hard to navigate lol
Old 07-29-2006, 12:57 AM

Heck no, I just found they're the cheapest. I found the nav pretty weird at first there, but it's simple after you figure it out. Go karts > parts/accesories > whatever section. I dunno. I like BMI parts too. Really nice guy runs that one.

OK, you're right I spoke off the top of my head, which is always a bad plan.

Clutches start at 5/8, then move up. I thought there was a 1/2 but you're right. Here's a 3/4 clutch or click on "see more" and there's the 5/8.

Also, Netzor -- the teeth are important. Chain size (pitch) is different -- it's either 35, or 40s... Match the chain with the sprocket with the clutch.

And the number of teeth are important. I generally say as close to 12 tooth as you can get. Frank might have a gear calculator, I know they exist. I need to get one posted.

I use 12 on the clutch, 60 on the sprocket. For a 3 HP engine, you might use a bigger sprocket, say, 72.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:14 PM

Hello again. Ok thx for helping me.. im not sure about ordering from northern tool as i live in Norway it will probably be a not so fun shipping price.. So im gonna check around here in norway first about there exist centrifugal clutche's :) And your site is just king!
Closed Thread